Canon t2i for filmmaking questions

Ok guys...I'm new to filmmaking but not new to the industry. I'm an actor/writer that does have a background in computer engineering so i'm still a little technical but nowhere near where i'd like to be.

However, I want to start shooting a web series i wrote and just hire a dp to work with me and show me some stuff. I like what i'm seeing with the canon t2i (7d and 5d mark II, but those are a little out of my price range when I include sound and lighting).

I'm curious what suggestions you guys have out there for lenses and extras I need with this camera to shoot some decent quality stuff. Also, in regards to the manual focus...how difficult will that be for an amateur to handle? Should it be mostly tripod shots or is it still alright to do shoulder mounted and dolly shots with manual focus on the smaller dslr?

Basically I want something that looks and sounds professional...i know that is asking a lot for someone who's experience is on the other side of the camera...but i gotta start somewhere and renting the equiptment is not much cheaper than buying it.

Thoughts suggestions?

Bez

I'm trying to get our DP Monday (that's his name) to take some more shots to put online of his 7D shoulder mount, and he says he's working on it...

Here, for the time being, is a shot of it on the set of DARK FEED...it's totally in darkness, but you can make out the general build. Oddly enough, the still shot below is from another 7D. :)

32104_401324046057_65866616057_4864375_3031554_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ok i just want some people's two cents on this issue...

Everyone seems to be saying the Canon t2i is the camera to go for for affordable but good quality HD film footage.

I want to shoot a documentary, will i be massively inhibited by the 12(?) minute maximum clip length?

It looks like a great camera but this is my main concern in terms of ease and practicality of shooting. Is there a better alternative?

The photos people have posted look hot, so i'm liking the look of this camera so far...i just want to know...

Ok i just want some people's two cents on this issue...

Everyone seems to be saying the Canon t2i is the camera to go for for affordable but good quality HD film footage.

I want to shoot a documentary, will i be massively inhibited by the 12(?) minute maximum clip length?

It looks like a great camera but this is my main concern in terms of ease and practicality of shooting. Is there a better alternative?

The photos people have posted look hot, so i'm liking the look of this camera so far...i just want to know...

The 12-minute limit isn't that big a concern, though it is worth considering. My main concern is that DSLR's overheat.

Also, if I'm moving around, literally following a subject whose actions I can't predict, I see the value in auto-focus. DSLR's have auto-focus, but it's not the same, once it's set, it's set, and the only way to change your focus is with a new shot.

I do not recommend a DSLR for documentary work.

What would you say is a better alternative in the same sort of price range?

I feel like i would have to shell out a lot more if i wanted something that wasn't a DSLR but delivered similar quality picture.

Cheers for the reply.

I should qualify that it's actually a mockumentary, but i still have the problem with the fact that it's fairly freeform and basically involves getting a large office with about 15 people to simulate the collapse of a merchant bank in almost real time.... so it might be quite tricky.

But at the moment i'm feeling that this is my best bet so long as i can buy a shotgun mic and hire a radio mic.

What do you reckon the overheating would be like on that?

Cheers.

I should qualify that it's actually a mockumentary, but i still have the problem with the fact that it's fairly freeform and basically involves getting a large office with about 15 people to simulate the collapse of a merchant bank in almost real time.... so it might be quite tricky.

But at the moment i'm feeling that this is my best bet so long as i can buy a shotgun mic and hire a radio mic.

What do you reckon the overheating would be like on that?

Cheers.

Oh, dude, get the T2i. As far as logistics are concerned, you're shooting a narrative. I just shot a 90-minute feature with the T2i, in the middle of a hot and humid Summer, and half the damn movie was outside. The overheating is annoying. We often had to turn the camera off, remove the battery, and just give it a minute to breathe. But again, I was submitting it to the most extreme conditions. You'll be in a building. I never overheated inside.

Look, I wouldn't want to have to deal with overheating in the middle of a very important documentary shoot. Cuz if you miss something, it's gone. On a narrative set, you just tell your cast and crew to take a quick breather, while your camera does the same. But like I said, this probably won't be an issue for you. Nor will you want to use auto-focus. Nor will the 12-minute limit matter even slightly.

Yep, that sounds like a plan. Thanks for the confirmation.

That said it's based on a 1993 financial experiment and the idea is to let it just play out and film it, so it will be subjected to most of the same conditions as documentary film making.

But i'm in London, in the winter. Shouldn't overheat.

Much obliged.

Unless you're shooting in the deep south, I wouldn't worry about over-heat on the T2i. Several of my friends have a T2i and a 7D and every now and then, it will get 'hot' but it doesn't ever screw the production.

Overheating

The Canon 7d will overheat. I just got done helping on a shoot in the California foothills, were the temps were in the 90s and low 100s. We had to cool our heels while the Canon cooled its, well, innards.

Well i just went out and bought the Canon T2i, so thanks to anyone who helped recommend it to me.

Also bought an additional lense, two bags, 8GB Super Memory disc thing, UV lense protectors...

I'm excited about using it.

Back