Canon t2i for filmmaking questions

Ok guys...I'm new to filmmaking but not new to the industry. I'm an actor/writer that does have a background in computer engineering so i'm still a little technical but nowhere near where i'd like to be.

However, I want to start shooting a web series i wrote and just hire a dp to work with me and show me some stuff. I like what i'm seeing with the canon t2i (7d and 5d mark II, but those are a little out of my price range when I include sound and lighting).

I'm curious what suggestions you guys have out there for lenses and extras I need with this camera to shoot some decent quality stuff. Also, in regards to the manual focus...how difficult will that be for an amateur to handle? Should it be mostly tripod shots or is it still alright to do shoulder mounted and dolly shots with manual focus on the smaller dslr?

Basically I want something that looks and sounds professional...i know that is asking a lot for someone who's experience is on the other side of the camera...but i gotta start somewhere and renting the equiptment is not much cheaper than buying it.

Thoughts suggestions?

Bez

Also, I understand the importance of sound.

I'm looking at getting a decent sound package...

similar to the guy who had a 2000 budget

2) RODE NTG-2 Dual Powered Directional Condenser Microphone -$ 389
RODE Mini Boompole
RODE SM4 Shock Mount
RODE 20' XLR to XLR Cable
RODE Thin Padded Carrying Case w/Strap

however i can spend prob 300 or so more than him...so should i get the same stuff with a sennheiser mic? Will it be that easy just the change out the mic in this package?

Also, in regards to the manual focus...how difficult will that be for an amateur to handle? Should it be mostly tripod shots or is it still alright to do shoulder mounted and dolly shots with manual focus on the smaller dslr?

It's not just being amateur that makes this difficult. Really, it's a two-person job. I know people who are doing it (shoulder mounts, with follow focus), but the results are less than perfect.

It's not just being amateur that makes this difficult. Really, it's a two-person job. I know people who are doing it (shoulder mounts, with follow focus), but the results are less than perfect.

I just acted in a feature shot on 7D, and the footage was fantastic.

He had a shoulder mount and follow focus, with a large monitor in front of his face with a light box extending to his face to block out light...cost him a little over a $1000 for the mounting, and a little over $1000 for 7D and a lens or two.

He also had two different sized DSLR dolly slides, and a nice tripod.

If you're going to go DSLR for a feature, I highly recommend getting a full mount...but with a full kit you can make great stuff...definitely good enough where it doesn't matter anymore if you know what I mean. Basically, you're getting footage that if handled properly, will look on par with the RED and other similar brands. Sure blown up there may be a slight difference, but for DVD and Blueray it will be on par.

I mean look at this (shot on 5D and 7D):

36 Stairs

Last edited:
Actually, it looks good blown up, too.

Everything M1chae1 has said is true, but it should be noted that the person he just worked with is probably very experienced and quite talented. Follow focus with a shoulder mount, no matter what the camera, is not something any old Tom, Dick or Harry can just jump right into doing. It is difficult, and a lot of practice is needed to perfect it.

however i can spend prob 300 or so more than him...so should i get the same stuff with a sennheiser mic? Will it be that easy just the change out the mic in this package?
I would recommend getting an external audio recorder with the extra $300. The T2i has automatic gain control, which ruins audio. That alone justified buying an external recorder, but when you add in preamps, built-in XLR jacks, and the ability for the boom op to use headphones to hear what he's recording...

The Zoom H4n is very popular. Conveniently enough, it clocks in at $299, sans tax.

(That package is amazing, by the way.)

I would recommend getting an external audio recorder with the extra $300. The T2i has automatic gain control, which ruins audio. That alone justified buying an external recorder, but when you add in preamps, built-in XLR jacks, and the ability for the boom op to use headphones to hear what he's recording...

The Zoom H4n is very popular. Conveniently enough, it clocks in at $299, sans tax.

(That package is amazing, by the way.)

Mmm, yes, how did I miss that? Wombat has steered you in exactly the direction you should go. You do not want to record audio on the T2i. I've been using the H4n, and I've been happy with it's results (paired with a Rode NTG-2).

the h4n is exactly what i was looking at...however...suggestions on the mic? or is the one in that package sufficient?
It's good.

You'll eventually want to get another mic for internal recording, since shotgun mics used inside tend to have a wobbly, roomy sound, but meh.

what kind of mic for inside do you suggest? would that require more equipment or just lapel mics?
Alcove Audio (the resident audio expert) recommends the Oktava MK012 for budget-conscious productions.

Check out his blogs for more audio information. They're rather informative.

Alcove Audio (the resident audio expert) recommends the Oktava MK012 for budget-conscious productions.

Check out his blogs for more audio information. They're rather informative.

Will I be able to use all the same equipment with it?

ie:
RODE Mini Boompole
RODE SM4 Shock Mount
RODE 20' XLR to XLR Cable

And will I be using this in the same fashion as the outdoor mic?

Also, expensive does not always ensure quality. During the last weeks I have been experimenting with lots of different equipment, and some of the less expensive solutions that I have been recommended in this forum (specially in the audio department) completely outperformed equipment that was almost double the price.

Also, expensive does not always ensure quality. During the last weeks I have been experimenting with lots of different equipment, and some of the less expensive solutions that I have been recommended in this forum (specially in the audio department) completely outperformed equipment that was almost double the price.

For example? Also, would it be smarter to wait for the funds to get the 7d?

Pulling focus is one part math/science, one part artistic sensibility, one part hand/mind coordination, and one part Zen mentality. It's way more than just being able to hit a mark at the right time. Lens sweep isn't linear, the closer the focus, the faster you have to turn the barrel to keep it sharp. Logarithmic is the word I am looking for IIRC. It's also knowing when to pull (and how fast) as to make them seem invisible (most of the time).

Good shooters can do it solo with APS-C cameras (t2i, 7d). I've personally not seen any 5d shoots without a solid 1st AC get good results with regards focus. Having solid rigging for the camera and a quality follow focus really helps.

I was on a shoot recently with a totally crap follow focus. I pulled it and just used the barrel on harder shots because it wasn't accurate enough. Granted this wasn't a dslr shoot (RED), pulling from the barrel on dslr is almost unusable because the camera is too small and lightweight to not be affected by the hand on the lens. Something that folks don't think about with the smaller cameras. Of course when you are in the middle of an intense, hand-held shot in the forest at the end of the day with characters and the operator all over the place, and no chance to measure marks, well.. Let's just say that when the follow focus remote motor goes out, you really need to be able to pull from the lens barrel to save the shot.

Ask me how I know. ;)

I just acted in a feature shot on 7D, and the footage was fantastic.

He had a shoulder mount and follow focus, with a large monitor in front of his face with a light box extending to his face to block out light...cost him a little over a $1000 for the mounting, and a little over $1000 for 7D and a lens or two.

He also had two different sized DSLR dolly slides, and a nice tripod.

If you're going to go DSLR for a feature, I highly recommend getting a full mount...but with a full kit you can make great stuff...definitely good enough where it doesn't matter anymore if you know what I mean. Basically, you're getting footage that if handled properly, will look on par with the RED and other similar brands. Sure blown up there may be a slight difference, but for DVD and Blueray it will be on par.

I mean look at this (shot on 5D and 7D):

36 Stairs

that was some dope shots

Ok....Any suggestions on a follow focus system and a view finder...together and separate? I found the redrock and idc ones...at 350 for just the follow focus. Is there a cheaper still quality product out there?

and perhaps a tripod suggestion?

Last edited:
Back