Canon 60D Camera pr0n

Yep, so the Canon 60D is coming. What's new? Looking like auto-focus in movie mode... the flippy-swivelly 3in LCD (how do you use a Z-Finder with it) Adjustable audio levels similiar to the 5D Mark II and some type of on camera editing facility.

The DIGIC processor wasn't upped... :P

Has the small LCD near the dial like the EOS 7D... looks a LOT like a 7D w/o the metal frame and the fast frames other than the other improvements.

Estimated late September release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqg-HCuNz-E

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732047-REG/Canon_4460B003_EOS_60D_DSLR_Digital.html

What do you guys think?

Curious to why you say that. Advanced autofocus (face tracking ) could be handy in some situations.

I agree. For narrative work, I can't think of many situations in which I'd want to use it. But for documentary-work, I think it's often-times very useful.

I think the camera looks sweet. I can see why a 7D would be best for somebody who does photography, but for someone like me, video-only, the extra cost doesn't justify jumping from T2i to 7D.

I haven't really looked too much into the 60D, yet -- does it have HD monitor capabilities? Cuz that's pretty much the only thing that I think is pretty lame about the T2i.

Curious to why you say that. Advanced autofocus (face tracking ) could be handy in some situations.

Lots of reasons, secondarily that much of my AC work includes 1st AC gigs where I am pulling focus. :) Primarily because focus is an expressive tool, and I do not believe that an auto-tracking tool can adequately replace human understanding of cinematic language.

Artistically speaking I don't think face tracking is always going to be what you want (like when you want something else sharp), and if you are only going to use it sometimes you probably can make that pull anyway since you've been pulling all your other shots. You in that sentence is non-directive. Could be an operator, an AC, a no-budget doc guy, whatever.

For example, I played a little with some touch screen focus stuff, and it's just not there yet. Call me old school, even though I'm really not that old school, but I don't think the tech is ready to replace a quality set of gears and a hand on the wheel. I was amazed at how much the Preston remotes maintained that metaphorical "feel" of being on the lens over a wireless setup - but the touch screen stuff (not made by them, don't remember the maker) didn't really wind my crank. Something about it just seemed less responsive and predictable. I couldn't imagine using one in a situation where I had to pull by the numbers.

There are a lot of little tricks to making focus pulls invisible that auto-tracking just isn't going to accomplish. Not all pulls need to be invisible, but not all pulls should be blatant either. It depends on the pull.

Some of the greatest pulls I've seen are completely invisible. One example is from an episode of Fringe. Several folks in a semi-circle, guy in center talking to them all. Camera is on an curved track, I think guy in the center (Walter if you happen to watch the show) is scratchy on one side of frame or other. Camera stays with him sharp as he talks, passes across a bright background set-deco light creating a brief moment of blown out light (causing Walter to go full silhouette) and when the characters come back, the person Walter is speaking about (Olivia IIRC) is in focus and Walter is soft. Awesome.

I'll grant there are LOTS of really cool programmable systems, remote focus toys, laser aided systems for really fast stunt work or shooting auto racing, and a hole host of stuff I've probably never seen - but I have my doubts that an in-camera auto-tracking system at this price point is going to be that great. Then there's also that whole human element thing.

Let's have a curiosity exchange. What sort of shot do you envision that couldn't be pulled by an AC where face-tracking would come into play? :)

Edit: Re: Doc stuff, maybe depending on what one is shooting. I'd still be inclined to go with my instincts with focus even if I was operating solo. I probably have a skewed perspective here though.

Double edit:

Sorry about the rambling post. My week started last Friday night and been doing 12-14s since then. My brain is kinda fried and can't organize data right now. :D

Last edited:
Back