canon 60?

would you reccomend this camera for shooting a short film with the intent of submitting it to a competition? Is there a better camera for around 1,500, or will a need a more expensive camera before i can consider submitting to competitions?

You will not need a "better" camera to make a short film.

There are other options, but the camera is only a tool. If
you can use that tool well, you can make a movie with the
intent of submitting it to a competition.

What will you be using for audio? How about lights? I'm sure
you have an excellent script so you are on the right track.

well right now i don't have any sound or lighting equipment but it'll be a year or two before i attempt to submit my work to a competition (i'm a senior in high school and i'll be attending community college for two years then i plan on trying to get some short films produced) so i'm just working on getting myself set up one piece at a time starting with the camera... i don't quite have a script yet but i have some half baked ideas i've been playing around with some characters, themes, vague story ideas the actual writing of the script has always been a bit intimidating for me but i've got plenty of time to work on it so i'm sure i'll be able to come up with something

I actually think there's some good wisdom to the one-piece-at-a-time mentality. Why do you have to learn how to do everything at once? For lighting, you might want to consider slowly building, over time, an extensive DIY light-kit. Just as an example, on of many cinematographer's favorite tools can be purchased on the cheap, at IKEA (China balls). And if you want to saturate the crap out of your set, $20 construction lights will do that (it won't look like nice cinematography, but at least you'll be able to see everything).

Oh, and one thing we always seem to forget to talk about, when somebody is considering DSLR -- do you have a good computer? This footage is very demanding.

yeah my computer should be able to keep up

Remember, you'll need a lot of hard drive space. You need to have all the raw files on at least two different drives as back up, and then you may need to convert them into an editing codec such as CineForm or ProRes as well, which takes up a lot more space than the original footage.

Hi, I have a 60D. It's pretty nice for the stuff I do. I miss my HF-S100 tho. The auto focus was nice for me because I sometime just want to record things as a tourist and not be engulf with the task as a cameraman. Anyways, I like shooting in 60p and DOF is fantastic. Although, with the advance rotoscoping tool in CS5 I think you can isolate the background and create DOF pretty easy. Pretty easy is a relative term tho. It's easier than before but, if you stink at AE it won't help too much i guess.

Back