Canon 5D mark III now records RAW!

This is quite a nice video:
http://vimeo.com/66296381

Still not sure it's that much better than the BMCC, considering it's the same price, if not more expensive than it, and certainly 3x the price of the pocket camera.

What I do like about it, and what I like about the Blackmagic too, is that it's not that real digital raw that you can often see out of RED.

To me the biggest advantage of the 5D is low light performance.

Still not sure it's that much better than the BMCC, considering it's the same price, if not more expensive than it, and certainly 3x the price of the pocket camera.

I think it's just a question of individual preferences and workflow.

With the 5DmkIII you get a full frame sensor, low-light performance, choice of in-camera raw or h.264, or ProRes/DNxHD through hdmi to hyperdeck. You also get full compatibility with all Canon lenses, (arguably) better ergonomics, inexpensive removable batteries, and the ability to go smaller/be less noticeable. On top of all that you get a world-class still camera.

So at a similar price the BMCC may still give the absolute best image quality between the two, but with the raw options it's getting close enough that for some people one or more of the other factors could be enough to tip one to canon.

The pocket camera is a whole different discussion. For people choosing between it and a low-end DSLR there's really no comparison, and the pocket camera will probably win out unless photographic capabilities are a priority.

Honestly though for people looking at more expensive cameras I see it as something many would buy regardless of which higher-end camera they get. It just seems like the kind of thing that would be great to have all the time even if you've got something bigger and more powerful.

This is one of the best samples I've seen so far:

https://vimeo.com/66480704

I do notice some pumping of the brightness on busy textures from aliasing, but I see in the comments this is the guy who removed one of the olp filters so it's not necessarily representative of the sharpness/aliasing you'd expect to see on a stock mkIII. Can't find it now but I saw an example from a mkII yesterday where that was much worse, unfortunately the increased detail can really make the aliasing situation worse.

I don't know. From a non-techie's perspective, just the fact that you can see those gorgeous clouds in the background, as opposed to not seeing them at all, is exciting.

If they can bring this to the 5D II...

Although, did I understand that right? You'd be working with only 30 second clips? That would be no good.

But otherwise, gosh, maybe I'd actually try this ML mod and maybe my 5D would actually see some attempts at filmmaking after all, if this sorts out well. But then, my PC is okay, but maybe not enough of a beast to handle it. And maybe this stuff won't be so good for a noob to try to deal with.

Hmmmm.

I really hope they can somehow get this into the cheaper crop Canon cameras but the big limitation seems to be that they record on SD cards which aren't fast enough for RAW. I hope there's a work around because as of now 1080p can't be achieved on a Rebel.

The mkII seems to be limited from a bandwidth standpoint too, and can't do full 1080. The thing is the improved detail in raw is such that even at the lower resolutions you get more detail than the camera's native video. I suspect if they can get 720p running on the cheaper cameras it will still be a significant quality improvement, in both detail and dynamic range.

I've also seen talk of reducing the sensor data from 14bit to 12 or 10 in camera before saving it. That will reduce the bandwidth and should thus enable higher resolutions for slower cards/cameras, at only a very minor trade off in image data.

Figured some y'all would dig this

Some Mad Scientist said:
After searching for days I’ve found a promising adapter that could work with a special SSD that has an IDE/ATA port already integrated … In theory this would be fantastic because the CF controller inside the 5D Mark III maxes out at 167 MB/s and this will be sufficient to capture the RAW video data even at higher resolutions than FullHD.

http://news.doddleme.com/equipment/adapter-could-allow-recording-of-magic-lantern-raw-via-ssd/

Back