Canon 5D mark III now records RAW!

Wow, this could be a game changer ;)

:lol:

Funny thing is that it actually could be. Until now, I had been convinced that shooting on DSLR was on it's way to becoming a relic of the past, what with all the cool stuff that Black Magic is doing.

What does this do to editing? What kind of beast would you need to be able to handle this footage? And by comparison, what kind of computing power is needed to be able to handle Black Magic footage? And how about software capabilities? Anybody know of these things?

What does this do to editing? What kind of beast would you need to be able to handle this footage? And by comparison, what kind of computing power is needed to be able to handle Black Magic footage? And how about software capabilities? Anybody know of these things?

I don't have direct experience with .dng raw from a Blackmagic or otherwise. I do, however, have a lot of experience with RED raw footage (.r3d) and I assume workflows and computing power needed would be similar, even perhaps less-so for the .dng.

It harks back to workflows similar to that of working with film - editing on lower res proxies, and conforming in the online.

I run Avid, which can read .r3d files natively via AMA. I tried this initially, but boy does it hate it - if you've built a super computer you might find it runs okay, but my iMac is specced pretty decently, and is my dedicated computer for this stuff, and it really chugs.
The best workflow is to convert everything in REDCine-X Pro to something a bit more useable like DNxHD or similar. A DNxHD proxy file is fine to work with and allows you to edit relatively seamlessly, even on a lower specced computer. If you were using .dng, REDCine-X would be replaced by something like Resolve - the good thing about this is you can apply a general LUT to all your files if you want/need to.
A 128gb card of 4k footage generally takes REDCine-X on my computer about a day and a half to convert to a proxy file.

Once you've edited, you'd export an EDL (or XML if using FCP/FCX), import that into whatever software you're using for your online (probably Resolve if using .dng files) and do your online and final colour grade. You don't necessarily need to do this yourself, and if you were shooting an actual movie, I'd suggest sending your EDL and copies of your raw files to a professional colourist, but if you were colouring yourself, you'd simply use your online software and export your deliverables out of that.

It takes a long time to export.

A better computer will speed up your transcode/convert/export/render times and also the real-time performance in your online. If you really want to work with raw footage natively in your editor, I'd suggest upgrading your computer, but the way I see it is it's barely worth it unless you're on a really strict timeline.

The good part about using digital cards (as opposed to film) is once you've done your data dump, your DIT can begin creating dailies on set - most on-set DITs have dual Mac Pro towers and dump data, apply LUTs and create dailies for HOD viewing, as well as sending to editorial right there on set. Most DIT workflows consist of creating an H.264 for dailies and a ProRes422 or DNxHD 36 files for editorial.

Last edited:
I'm so excited about this and I don't even have 5D ... lol

New footage has come out, take a look at some frame grabs taken from vimeo.

1920x1280

4FDY64a.jpg

CzvAhju.jpg

XQ9LuuS.jpg

3wEiung.jpg

E10wi27.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure soon there will be some tests comparing the 5D RAW to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
Here are some frame grabs from the Blackmagic CInema Camera, even being different subject/lens/light conditions... how do you think they compare overall?

untitled_1-62-1.jpg

untitled_1-23-1.jpg

bmcc-sample-video.jpg

casey_1-22-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure soon there will be some tests comparing the 5D RAW to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
Here are some frame grabs from the Blackmagic CInema Camera, even being different subject/lens/light conditions... how do you think they compare overall?

I mean, realistically it's hard to do an A/B test without the same lenses, same settings, same shots.

That said, the 5D stuff is hardly Red/Alexa type images as has been quoted earlier in this thread. The biggest thing the Blackmagic has over the 5D is that it's images are simply sharper. DSLRs in general seem to have this overall softness to their image, at least in video mode. Now, it could be the lens(es) being used, I'm not sure - it's hard to say without much information about the pics.

Now, I know at least two of the BMCC shots are John Brawley's - and it's hard to compare John Brawley shots with shots that may have been taken by someone who's not really at the same or even similar level to JB.
IMO, the BMCC's image is reminiscent of a 'digital S16mm' in a way - it reminds me of a super clean 16mm stock. Even the night shot, although it's super noisy, if you were to swap the noise for film grain, it would be reminiscent of a low-light shot on 500T S16 stock.
The 5D footage, to me, just looks like a DSLR with an expanded dynamic range - it looks like you're capturing footage in .jpg mode with the jpg look, rather than video mode. It's still miles ahead of what's currently available from the video mode of a DSLR, however and even miles ahead of 'clean' HDMI out on a 5D, which is pretty average.

I just want sharp DSLR footage - if ML could give me sharp footage with increased DR in ProRes 422, even via HDMI I'd be happy.

I mean, realistically it's hard to do an A/B test without the same lenses, same settings, same shots.

That said, the 5D stuff is hardly Red/Alexa type images as has been quoted earlier in this thread. The biggest thing the Blackmagic has over the 5D is that it's images are simply sharper. DSLRs in general seem to have this overall softness to their image, at least in video mode. Now, it could be the lens(es) being used, I'm not sure - it's hard to say without much information about the pics.

Now, I know at least two of the BMCC shots are John Brawley's - and it's hard to compare John Brawley shots with shots that may have been taken by someone who's not really at the same or even similar level to JB.
IMO, the BMCC's image is reminiscent of a 'digital S16mm' in a way - it reminds me of a super clean 16mm stock. Even the night shot, although it's super noisy, if you were to swap the noise for film grain, it would be reminiscent of a low-light shot on 500T S16 stock.
The 5D footage, to me, just looks like a DSLR with an expanded dynamic range - it looks like you're capturing footage in .jpg mode with the jpg look, rather than video mode. It's still miles ahead of what's currently available from the video mode of a DSLR, however and even miles ahead of 'clean' HDMI out on a 5D, which is pretty average.

I just want sharp DSLR footage - if ML could give me sharp footage with increased DR in ProRes 422, even via HDMI I'd be happy.

A "fair" comparison will sort out the difference in sharpness between the 5D RAW and Blackmagic. Meanwhile to my eyes the sharpness of the 5D and the Blackmagic don't seem much different. I guess the Blackmagic Cine Camera will allways be sharper at least in 2.5K mode. But by now it's obvious that the RAW footage from the 5D is much sharper than the previous footage with the h.264 codec. This means there was an improvement in dynamic range and sharpness/detail.

Here is a comparison between the 5D RAW and Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
On the video comments you can see the author's thoughts on the test.

https://vimeo.com/66170436#

"What became clear is that both cameras provide very similarly capable RAW files. You can adjust everything and everything is possible. You can get similar details out of the sky and set all you like in post. Color temperature, tint, dynamic range, no problem. The 5D is just as strong as the BMCC, providing maybe a bit more dynamic range.

Where the cameras differ in terms of RAW is one big thing: Noise. The 5D mark III can shoot indoors at ISO 1600 and there's almost no noise while the Blackmagic starts to get ugly at this point.
The noise from the BMCC is also apparent when raising the blacks in a shot.

Moire and aliasing is another big big issue on Blackmagic and there is very litte of that on the 5D RAW. The cleanness of the shots of the 5D RAW in general is extremely pleasing and jumps at you when you sit in front of the RAW images. Check some of the dng's yourself in our other post.

Conclusion
The 5D RAW has the clear advantage of a large sensor and never before seen ISO performance on a RAW camera. It's intriguing and soon a stable version will probably be ready for real usage.
On the downside the 5D RAW has a little less detail than the Blackmagic or an Alexa, but a lot more detail than the 5D had without the RAW hack."

Where the cameras differ in terms of RAW is one big thing: Noise. The 5D mark III can shoot indoors at ISO 1600 and there's almost no noise while the Blackmagic starts to get ugly at this point.

In the example clips they provided I'd be hard-pressed to say the BM noise looked 'ugly' at 1600. In fact I'd say it was perfectly useable, and only slightly worse than the 5D. Maybe they're talking about underexposed situations, but it would be nice to see an example which really shows it.

Overall though it seems to me that they're pretty comparable in that example - except of course for the moiré which is very noticeable from the BMCC in the first shot of the dirt path.

EDIT: Just noticed they're using the 24-105 on the Canon, which I haven't found to be a particularly sharp lens. I don't know how it compares to the tokina they're using on the BMCC, but I suspect there's room for improvement in detail on the canon with some better lenses.

Last edited:
"What became clear is that both cameras provide very similarly capable RAW files. You can adjust everything and everything is possible. You can get similar details out of the sky and set all you like in post. Color temperature, tint, dynamic range, no problem. The 5D is just as strong as the BMCC, providing maybe a bit more dynamic range.
All raw files are similarly capable as, well, they're raw! That doesn't mean all raw cameras look the same ;)

Moire and aliasing is another big big issue on Blackmagic and there is very litte of that on the 5D RAW. The cleanness of the shots of the 5D RAW in general is extremely pleasing and jumps at you when you sit in front of the RAW images. Check some of the dng's yourself in our other post.
I'll have to check out the .dngs myself, but from the vimeo video, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference. The Blackmagic footage seems a little less contrasty in some spots, but that could be from the grade.

The 5D RAW has the clear advantage of a large sensor and never before seen ISO performance on a RAW camera.
This is an interesting comment - for people that have been comparing the camera to RED and Alexa to conveniently forget such cameras when such sweeping (and incorrect) statements are made..

RED and Alexa both have equal, if not greater ISO performance, and both can shoot raw. The Sony F5 has a native ISO of 1250.
That said, I think I prefer the footage from the 5D over an F5, but IMO it still looks nothing even close to RED (nor does BMCC for that matter), and it's miles away from the look of the Alexa.

FWIW, the clarity and definition seem heaps better on the BMCC, but again could be the lens.

I'd really like to see a test where they take out the EF BMCC against the 5D raw and test using some decent glass, like CP.2s or similar

Last edited:
Jax, thanks for the info on the editing implications. Sounds like, if one is planning to hire a professional colorist, then this doesn't change anything for the video editor, who would just work with downgraded footage. Excellent! :)

I'll have to check out the .dngs myself, but from the vimeo video, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference. The Blackmagic footage seems a little less contrasty in some spots, but that could be from the grade.

Here's where the difference really shows up:

raw-sample.png

100% crop from the DNGs, 5D on left and BM on right.

Overall looking at the DNGs the blackmagic appears to have a slight edge in detail, but it's hard to tell how much is real vs. false. Most of the aliasing isn't as noticeable as the path, but it's clearly there in the grass, trees, etc. Again though, it's not a great test for fine detail on the 5D with that lens.

Most of those images are beta images. Compare if one must, just wanted to throw that out there. From BV1/Blackmagic, I mean.

A "fair" comparison will sort out the difference in sharpness between the 5D RAW and Blackmagic. Meanwhile to my eyes the sharpness of the 5D and the Blackmagic don't seem much different. I guess the Blackmagic Cine Camera will allways be sharper at least in 2.5K mode. But by now it's obvious that the RAW footage from the 5D is much sharper than the previous footage with the h.264 codec. This means there was an improvement in dynamic range and sharpness/detail.

It will definitely be more resolute, which is what you're seeing. Sharpness is something different.

Here is a comparison between the 5D RAW and Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
On the video comments you can see the author's thoughts on the test.

https://vimeo.com/66170436#

This test is flawed. Shooter had little idea what he was doing with the camera, which when people told him this, he basically shrugged it off. Shame.

The noise from the BMCC is also apparent when raising the blacks in a shot.

Shooter also didn't really test here. 800 ISO (native) on BV1 should be equivalent to MK3 @ 1600 ISO.

Far more moire on BV1, which is an issue. However, it's fixable for the most part right now. It would be great to have a filter in front of the sensor but that's not out yet.

Conclusion
The 5D RAW has the clear advantage of a large sensor and never before seen ISO performance on a RAW camera.

A lot of hyperbole, but we're dealing with the DSLR market so it's common. First person to get to the blog wins.

In the example clips they provided I'd be hard-pressed to say the BM noise looked 'ugly' at 1600. In fact I'd say it was perfectly useable, and only slightly worse than the 5D. Maybe they're talking about underexposed situations, but it would be nice to see an example which really shows it.

It's mostly just being biased toward the 5D. The test did come from Cinema5D and all.

I've got an MKIII and Lexar 1000x card ready to shoot some 5D RAW tests beside my BV1-EF and BV1-MFT (Micro Four Thirds) cameras. I expect to see the same amount of noise in both images at 800 and 1600 respectively, and nearly the same type.

IN fact, you can go and download some DNGs, make sure in Adobe Camera Raw or Light Room 4 that you reduce noise reduction to 0 and you'll see a lot of noise in the 5D files.

Overall though it seems to me that they're pretty comparable in that example - except of course for the moiré which is very noticeable from the BMCC in the first shot of the dirt path.

Moire is a big one for me. Hurts a lot of things but I've been able to rip the moire out for the most part when it becomes a pain in the ass. Still, I would rather have an OLPF to just deal with it before its recorded.
EDIT: Just noticed they're using the 24-105 on the Canon, which I haven't found to be a particularly sharp lens. I don't know how it compares to the tokina they're using on the BMCC, but I suspect there's room for improvement in detail on the canon with some better lenses.

Not that much room, but some. However, what you will see more of the sharper you get's aliasing. The camera is not devoid of aliasing, it's absolutely there and the deeper you shoot, the more it shows up.

Moire is nowhere near as bad as Blackmagic, however it's there as well.

Here's where the difference really shows up:

raw-sample.png

100% crop from the DNGs, 5D on left and BM on right.

Here's the DNG fixed in Davinci Resolve after one adjustment, from BV1:

Moire_Fixed.jpg

It works in a lot of cases, not every case, so again, one before the sensor.
Overall looking at the DNGs the blackmagic appears to have a slight edge in detail, but it's hard to tell how much is real vs. false. Most of the aliasing isn't as noticeable as the path, but it's clearly there in the grass, trees, etc. Again though, it's not a great test for fine detail on the 5D with that lens.

It's not false detail, at all. It's a 2.5K still right from the sensor, basically. The problem is that it doesn't have an OLPF, thus the moire and aliasing. You can deal with it through:

Debayering (Some of it, not all of it)
OLPF install (The best way to do it)
Some Post (Like what I did for that still from the tester)
Diffusion (definitely not my choice ever).

I'd like to use the 5D for car interiors, car mount, very small spaces to cut in with my BV1-EF/MFT cameras. The excitement is neat to see, we just need a few people to step up and help educate their peers on what's going on.

And, the bloggers to take a step back and wait a while, access the situation, then provide some accurate information versus being the first one to want to report on things. Well, I guess they can do what they want of course so it is what it is, but then I would encourage everyone to seek out as much information as possible.

One thing this will do is make everyone never want to shoot internal DSLR compression again, which is a good thing.... and a very very bad thing.

If anyone's curious, yeah, I'm pretty invested in the Blackmagic Cinema ecosystem, soon to have 4K and Pocket Cam for sure, and own EF and MFT camera. But I'm game to add more tools for specific jobs.

Hope some info has been helpful.

Very helpful, and that's a significant improvement on the BM footage. What's the adjustment you're making in Resolve to achieve that?

One of the BMC forum members' noise reduction setup, through a layer node (one is luma, one is saturation, reduce the noise on the saturation node) and then set the composite to add.

You can adjust how much you remove. The worst case scenarios need a fair amount, some need very little.

It's a toss up because I do feel like you take a hit to color when you do this. You're removing a lot of chroma noise and some of that goes a decent way toward giving BV1 the sick color that it has, although I'm getting close enough back to original without chroma noise and far less chroma aliasing / moire through some minor adjustments.

Not the most ideal, would rather have an OLPF but for now it'll work.

Got it, I've tried similar approaches in AE for 5DmkII moiré on fabric. It works reasonably well to remove the color artifacts, but still leaves you with visible patterns that change with movement. Seems like it's best for shots like this, or sparkling water highlights, where the color noise is the most visible component.

Saw some raw samples from the 5DmkII yesterday that included some charts... unfortunately, and as expected, the higher level of detail significantly worsens the aliasing/moiré situation, so I don't think it will be too useable without something like mosaic's filter. I assume the mkIII is using a different means of reading the sensor since it doesn't seem to have the same issues.

5DIII RAW aliasing is increased, moire seems to be decently tamed but I suspect that comes from ACR auto noise reduction again.

You can see the aliasing in MK3 RAW here: https://vimeo.com/66228674

There's really no free awesome, it seems. I'm already exhausted with just reading about it, and the more I see the happier I am with my Blackmagic cameras. With an MK3 and Lexar 1000X card ready to go, I'm not sure I even want to go through the trouble to test it out when I can see already that it's not for me, personally.

This is quite a nice video:
http://vimeo.com/66296381

That quick test was shot at ISO 100 except for a couple shots that might
have been at ISO 320 (again, that took like 10 minutes to shoot, because
the 16GB cards fill up really quickly). There's a shot with the guitars
that shows more noise. That shot was underexposed by at least 1-2 stops and
brought back to a decent exposure.
Shot on rokinon/samyang/walimex cine lenses, 24, 35 and 85mm.

Still not sure it's that much better than the BMCC, considering it's the same price, if not more expensive than it, and certainly 3x the price of the pocket camera.

What I do like about it, and what I like about the Blackmagic too, is that it's not that real digital raw that you can often see out of RED.

Back