• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 5d Mark ii or Canon 7d?

The title is pretty self explanatory. If you guys have preferences I would like to know and all your opinions count because I am currently saving up for one of these and will get them in around a month or two. Which do you guys think would be best for filming? I am currently in favor of the 7d but I know it is cheaper then the 5d mark ii so i was wondering if there are any noticeable differences in them and if i should stick with my gut and get the 7d.

If you want a 7D, you could also get a 550D or 600D or 60D! Exact same video features on the APS-C sensor, which is basically smaller than the 5D Vista vision size sensor and has a 1.6 Crop on all focal length!

The 5D will give you shallower depth of field and an even more cinematic look!

Like Phil said, the 7D has a smaller sensor size and a 1.6 crop factor which gives a shallower DOF. But, that also makes it more difficult for newer camera operators to pull focus properly.

I would go with the 7D, or better yet, the T3i (600D) because it will be a bit easier to master, will produce the same quality footage as a 7D (it has the same sensor,) and will be less expensive.

If you want a 7D, you could also get a 550D or 600D or 60D! Exact same video features on the APS-C sensor, which is basically smaller than the 5D Vista vision size sensor and has a 1.6 Crop on all focal length!

The 5D will give you shallower depth of field and an even more cinematic look!

Thanks Phil I'll look into those cameras!

Like Phil said, the 7D has a smaller sensor size and a 1.6 crop factor which gives a shallower DOF. But, that also makes it more difficult for newer camera operators to pull focus properly.

I would go with the 7D, or better yet, the T3i (600D) because it will be a bit easier to master, will produce the same quality footage as a 7D (it has the same sensor,) and will be less expensive.

WOW does the T3i SERIOUSLY have the same video quality as the 7d??? Because If that is the case I will definitely love getting the cheaper product for same video performance. I like shallow depth of field a lot and I know the mark ii has it better there but how is the T3i when it comes to dop compared to the 7d?

The one thing the 7d has that neither the T2i, T3i, or 60d has is two processors which means when connecting an external monitor, it will drop down to SD when you hit the record button. I went with the 60d, but after owning it for 9 months, wish I had spent a little more on the 7D for this feature alone. Not such a big deal for fixed shots, but for pulling focus during a shot, or even worse, have to use a remote pull focus when using on a jib or crane, or steadicam, it is a nice feature to have.

The one thing the 7d has that neither the T2i, T3i, or 60d has is two processors which means when connecting an external monitor, it will drop down to SD when you hit the record button. I went with the 60d, but after owning it for 9 months, wish I had spent a little more on the 7D for this feature alone. Not such a big deal for fixed shots, but for pulling focus during a shot, or even worse, have to use a remote pull focus when using on a jib or crane, or steadicam, it is a nice feature to have.

Hey that's some good advice I think my gut is now down to 60d or 7d but you have a point about the 7d there. One thing I don't get is what do you mean it drops down to SD? If you can explain that portion to me it would help greatly,
thanks

Yeah, any other DSLR except the 7D drop down to 480p when recording which makes focusing harder! You can easily sort that out with a Zacuto EVF tho, as it upscales resolution!

The video quality of the 7D, 60D, T2i and T3i are all identical. They all shoot from same sensor! What the main difference is, is 1080p out and a rugged body! As well as having more still features and being able to set a Kelvin Temperature as white balance!

Yeah, any other DSLR except the 7D drop down to 480p when recording which makes focusing harder! You can easily sort that out with a Zacuto EVF tho, as it upscales resolution!

The video quality of the 7D, 60D, T2i and T3i are all identical. They all shoot from same sensor! What the main difference is, is 1080p out and a rugged body! As well as having more still features and being able to set a Kelvin Temperature as white balance!
Ok that is more clear and now I see the difference. I think If I get an external monitor I will use just a t.v monitor with HDMI to HDMI mini that way it will be easy to see. Therefore I'll choose the 60D if I buy any of them. But I got a different question, I have a Canon HF-M300 for Christmas and it records full hd so since I got that free and I don't take pictures just wanna make short films should I just invest in a $400 letus mini adapter for good focus? Or just spend 1.5 grand on the 60d with 18-200mm?

The 5D will be the best choice IMO.
-75% of Act of Valor was shot on a 5D.
-Ed Burns (Saving Private Ryan, now an indie filmmaker) has $10,000, went to a B&H store, bought a 5D and shot his feature film Newlyweds on it.

But then, you gotta think about the lenses. But camera wise, I'd prefer a 5D.

The 5D will be the best choice IMO.
-75% of Act of Valor was shot on a 5D.
-Ed Burns (Saving Private Ryan, now an indie filmmaker) has $10,000, went to a B&H store, bought a 5D and shot his feature film Newlyweds on it.

But then, you gotta think about the lenses. But camera wise, I'd prefer a 5D.

Sure, but does the OP have a 12 million dollar budget? The lenses he used were all in the range of tens-hundreds of thousands.
The lenses really matter! Get a 60D and spend it on VERY good glass. Because that will look better than a 5D with cheap glass!

The 7d's DOF isn't as shallow as the 5d, but still, the 7d will give you more than enough shallow focus. The 5d's advantages are that it goes a lot wider, a little cleaner, a little more light sensitve, and the two biggies IMO are:
1) Magic Lantern Hacks
2) Mosaic anti aliasing filter which eliminates most of the horrible moire and aliasing that plagues the Canons.

The 7d's DOF isn't as shallow as the 5d, but still, the 7d will give you more than enough shallow focus. The 5d's advantages are that it goes a lot wider, a little cleaner, a little more light sensitve, and the two biggies IMO are:
1) Magic Lantern Hacks = Which voids your guarantee and might cause trouble with the camera!
2) Mosaic anti aliasing filter which eliminates most of the horrible moire and aliasing that plagues the Canons. = Which does so, by unsharpening the image!

NOt really true. The softening is incidental. lots of tests done on it. Results of mosaic on available for anyone interested. The moire and aliasing is really ugly without the mosaic filter.
The ML does cause some risk, but it seem to be nominal and adds a lot of power to the 5d.

Last edited:
I would buy a mosaic filter if I had any confidence I'd get it in the next two months. With the MK3 now out that guy blew his foot off with his inability to fulfill orders in a timely fashion as I would now expect his sales to plummet.

I like the 5D much better than the 7D. 5D has manual audio levels. 7D you're stuck with AGC and No Magic lantern to fix it. Histogram in movie mode. 7D you have histogram in still mode which is annoying. Full frame on 5D. 7D has cropped view. The only advantage the 7D has is the 720p 60fps to do overcranking (ie slow motion). You might as well get a 60D instead of a 7D.

Get a good fast lens. 24-70mm f2.8. A kit lens on any of those DSLRs will look like crap. No DOF with a Kit unless you shoot telephoto from a long ways away.

I like the 5D much better than the 7D. 5D has manual audio levels. 7D you're stuck with AGC and No Magic lantern to fix it. Histogram in movie mode. 7D you have histogram in still mode which is annoying. Full frame on 5D. 7D has cropped view. The only advantage the 7D has is the 720p 60fps to do overcranking (ie slow motion). You might as well get a 60D instead of a 7D.

Get a good fast lens. 24-70mm f2.8. A kit lens on any of those DSLRs will look like crap. No DOF with a Kit unless you shoot telephoto from a long ways away.

The 7D also does HD out while recording (the 5D drops to SD when you hit record) which is a huge advantage if using external monitors or an EVF. The audio features don't make a huge difference as even with manual levels it still sounds pretty crap…

Back