• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 5d Mark ii or Canon 7d?

The title is pretty self explanatory. If you guys have preferences I would like to know and all your opinions count because I am currently saving up for one of these and will get them in around a month or two. Which do you guys think would be best for filming? I am currently in favor of the 7d but I know it is cheaper then the 5d mark ii so i was wondering if there are any noticeable differences in them and if i should stick with my gut and get the 7d.

If you can easily afford it, than go for the 5D. But if not, go for a 60D. The 60D and 7D are almost exactly the same, the features make a difference however when taking photos, but i assume your not going to do that. Video quality is lower for the rebels, rebels shot in 720, the other two go 1080. Both 7D and 60D shoot at 1080 30fps and the 5D does 1080 at 60fps. This DOES make a difference. If someone said this already, I'm sorry, and if i somehow got my facts wrong I'm sorry. I have a 60D and i love it, so i recommend that.

Sorry, but you're a little off.

Rebels (t2i and t3i) shoot 1080p video.

No DSLR does 60fps at 1080p, would be sweet if it could. All the canons and panasonics do 1280x720 at 60 fps, but 24 or 30 fps at 1080.

That said, I have a 7D and love it. Bought it before there where cheaper video DSLRs. Theres been quite a few times a 5D would have been nice though.

Yeah your right. I went off what my friend had, we were shooting with his t2i and we couldn't find the 1080 mode, it just went from 720 down. I just assumed it couldn't, my bad.

And i used to think my 60D could do 60 FPS at 1080. After shooting a few clips i was kind of shocked to find out because the footage looked A LOT smoother than my friend who i knew was shooting at 30. And to think i got mad when people posted false information, my bad :/

But the 60D works very well for shooting, Its not as small as the rebels and fits better in the hand. The thing about 7D's (Once again, i saw somewhere) that's nice is that the view finder, i mean the one atop that goes black when he mirror flips, it's more accurate. I've ended up finding little things in the corner of my pictures that weren't there originally. I would enjoy this feature because i take photos often as well, I don't know about anyone here.

Back