• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Canon 5d Lense Question

I am shooting a 5d feature this summer, and wanted to rent a good set of primes. I've only used the Canon primes, but want to look into the Zeiss primes, or another alternative.

If you've shot something with the 5d can you send me a link and let me know what lenses you used so I can start doing some test shoots and find a batch that I like. Thanks a bunch.

When you say Zeiss primes, are you talking their photo primes or more expensive Compact Prime Cine Lenses?

The 5D has the shallowest DOF of all DSLR's and is more shallow than film in a lot of cases. It's difficult keeping focus when you're running wide open on a fast lens. The compact primes, being cine lenses, have marked intervals that are consistent so a focus pulled can do a much better job on a shot with motion.

They tend to cost about 3 times more than Canon L-Series glass.

We used mostly primes (all but the first shot) on Noble, but were using 7D's. We had a Canon 24 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.2 and in the long bridge shot and scope shot a 400mm 2.8. Link is in my signature if you're interested.

Back