Can you help? Finding Investors..

Hello,

I am filming a movie which has already top tier celebrities envolved. However, I am in need of a budget inorder to film a full feature. What I am asking is if anyone has any leads as to finding investors, production companys. etc. Which is the best way to turn inorder to see this complete?

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Hello. I'm brand new to this site and am finding the discourse to be refreshingly high-level and informative.

I am trying to fund a $50,000 supernatural thriller/horror feature and am having greater difficulty doing so than I'd anticipated. I've been making independent films for 30 years, including 2 prior features, all of which were self-funded (the first feature cost $18,000 and the second $40,000). While I have a track record in production, my fund raising skills are woefully green.

Part of the problem is the fact that I live and work in a town of 10,000 people, which is where the film is set. Not surprisingly, there isn't a great deal of money here from which to draw. I've been relying on outside fund raisers with deep-pocketed contacts, but their primary focus has been their own (non-movie) businesses, consequently they haven't been very productive.

I've raised 10% of the total so far and we've shot 3 weekends worth of material, but have halted production pending additional capital. All of the equipment is already owned by my production company (we are shooting HDV using a Canon A1). I have hired a line producer who is willing to work cheap in exchange for feature experience; the rest of the cast and crew are working primarily for deferred salaries ($25,000 total budgeted deferments) and experience.

I have a manager in the LA area who worked with me to develop the screenplay. To date, he has shopped two of my other screenplays around Hollywood, each of which garnered interest from A-list producers (unfortunately their respective studios declined to pony up for the options). He has also offered his contacts to assist in securing distribution for the finished film.

My line producer and I have established a LLC and compiled an informational memorandum describing the project. I also have a DVD with a 2-minute teaser and four edited scenes (in standard def) from the film cut together from the footage we've shot so far, which are intended to demonstrate the look of the film and introduce the principal actors. I am happy to provide the above to any interested parties.

Apologies for the length of this, my first post, but I'm trying to address many of the questions that seem to crop up in other posts on the forum. Thanks so much for any advice/interest you may have.

Mick Alderman

Finding funding for productions isn't an easy task by a long shot. Often takes some grovelling and even some all-out self-humiliation, but persistence often pays off.

I've done some smaller stuff in the past as well, but I don't want to be one these "make a movie with friends in the weekend" types.

I've recently had a script for another feature length that, when passed along to some celebrities in Hollywood, the response was nothing short of overwhelming.

What these celebs had to say about the story and the script had proven to me that I waqs walking in the right direction.

Now, funding... I've even had offers for funding, without even asking. I kid you not.

Being rather selective in my approach, and of course, locations, I've had to turn away from these offers. I've learned early on in the game that, "just bhecause someone throws money your way, doesn't mean you'll get the product you want, your way". Be careful.

I now find myself in a position where I've got a gold mine of an opportunity, both financially and location wise, but now I have to match the offer dollar-for-dollar.

I have 8 American celebrities in all, plus an internationally known composer onboard, and have collected their LOIs already. My budget is complete, shooting schedule is locked, locations are now being negotiated and, things are looking good.

Not too bad for an indie film maker. :)

I have searched around for the ideal financier, or producer who, can match the funds I've been offered.

If anyone happens to know a little more about approaching such people, feel free to let me know!

SH

Hello,

I am filming a movie which has already top tier celebrities envolved. However, I am in need of a budget inorder to film a full feature. What I am asking is if anyone has any leads as to finding investors, production companys. etc. Which is the best way to turn inorder to see this complete?

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Please contact me as I am interested in helping you in one way or another sir or ma'am.

DLD

Create Relationships

One of the best things you can do is create relationships with rich and successful people, especially accredited investors. (Search the term on Google.) When it comes time to ask for money, you need to stay within (in the US) SEC guidelines. In other forums, I have read advice which is a borderline violation. So you want to be very careful. Make sure you consult with a lawyer.

And as a general rule, avoid taking ads out on Craig's List or newspapers that say: Seeking Investors for Film
This sort of thing could open you up to all sorts to liability.

Filmmaking Stuff
removed link

Samuel M. Hain Awesome news from you. Well i just hope we can see the movie soon. By the way whats the genre of the movie?

FilmmakingStuff can you please tell me how a foreigner can find rich people on google who are really willing to invest in project? or should i say please explain your words along with this US guideline thing please

especially accredited investors. (Search the term on Google.) When it comes time to ask for money, you need to stay within (in the US) SEC guidelines.

CSampath The idea you gave is good but do you think that any filmmaker who is on his first project will be able to convince such a big group of people to invest in his project? I am asking this question because the first time funding is the most hardest. After first feature film the indie filmmaker atleast has something to show to get funds.

Regards

Last edited:
Both “FilmmakingStuff” and “CSampath” are suggesting long shot
ideas. I’m not say they can’t work, but those financing methods
are not very realistic.

There is no argument that creating relationships with rich,
successful, accredited investors is an excellent way to go. And
MUCH easier to say than to do. One of the things a filmmaker can
do is get a well known, high profile, name above the title actor
to agree to be in your move. That, too, is true - and not realistic.

Where “FilmmakingStuff” is undeniably correct is pointing out that
approaching investors is regulated by the SEC and one really
needs to consult a lawyer.

And CSampath’s “grass roots” method of building a large following
and getting the fans to invest in exchange for perks sounds doable
- but as you point out ad2478, not very realistic. I’ve heard or
and followed about a dozen of projects trying this (including
watching his website) but know of no success stories.

Again, I’m not saying it can’t happen. But raising even $30,000 to
$50,000 this way is unrealistic. I look forward to the day when
someone makes it happen.

...well then, how do you go about looking for, finding and approaching an investor?

I think I know how to write a pretty good proposal and I feel as though I know how to look for grants, (Google is your friend).

However, I will be making a little speech to some high schoolers about filmmaking and though I know they are far from looking for funding, I don't really know what to tell them about finding/approaching investors. I have always thought that they were a more difficult form of grant with repercussions if you don't make a profit.

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, but I would like to have a thumbnail idea of what I should tell them about finding investors vs. grants. I know I don't have any ideas...

(....I still feel grants are the way to go, though getting them is difficult....)

Any thoughts on this?

-- spinner :cool:

While I have not yet upgraded my membership to reflect my industry expertise, I live in Hollywood and have produced 2 feature films. Prior to that, I worked alongside a successful indie producer in New York City. I've been doing the movie thing for about 10 years. I'm writing on this forum to help you avoid some of my mistakes.

Given my experience, what I'm about to tell you is based on action, not fluff. Creating relationships with rich, successful, accredited investors is EASY and only takes three action steps:

1. Find someone rich.
2. Call them and request a meeting.
3. Meet.

If you hit it off, you have the relationship. If you don't, repeat the process. Don't make it any more complicated.

It has been my experience that the heavy hitters of the world are eager to meet and talk. They are some of the nicest kind folks I have ever met. And many are willing to offer advice, friendship and yes - money! (With money, you can hire name talent!)

But just because you have the relationship doesn't mean you can forgo a strong business plan and an idea of how you're going to recoup the investment. It simply means, if you have the relationship, it's easier to approach a friend for help.

As for seeking these folks on Google, I don't know much about that.

(I get caught up in projects. But I'll try to be much faster with my responses from now on.)

Back