Can one person make a difference?

I think a lot of people that are still going it alone in the creative marketplace feel like one person can't make a difference. I just wanted to post this statement. Not only can one person make a difference, but if you look at almost any situation in history up close, it's almost always one person that makes a difference.

This isn't a complicated post, I just want independent filmmakers out there to know that what you do, what you create, and who you are has a much bigger impact on others than you would imagine. Don't sell yourself short, even the guy who get's coffee makes a difference. I would hate to see what a film set looks like without coffee.

A similar thought is that one gesture can make a difference in someone's life, or at least their day. You could complement the lady working at Walmart on the pretty handmade bracelet she's wearing. Maybe tell an old man, "Have a nice day, sir," as you hold the door open for him. Or maybe take time to engage a stranger who just wants someone to talk to for a few minutes. You never know, that simple gesture could be the best thing that happens to that person that day or maybe in a while.

Back