Camera that I can use

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum.

I'm a former college soccer player who is trying to get a video production company going, I will start from the bottom, I graduated with a mass communications degree but soccer kept me really busy in the past.

I want to know what will be the cheapest camera for the best shooting, I can work with anythinh under $1, 000 since I have to pay student loans and stuff, I just need 2 reliable cameras so I can start shooting.

I went to the local Best Buy but their opcions are very limited, they only had 2 cameras that you can adapt a microphone.

I work in health care now, I hate it but it pays my bills.

Thanks in advance, Im glad I found this place, this is good stuff.

Is that $1000 total, or per camera (since you mention wanting/needing two cameras)?

Nothing in that range is going to offer you much support for sound. You can go with DSLR, but then you'll need to look at better lenses than whatever kit lens is included. In-camera sound will be miserable, and you'll need to look at a dual-system audio kit (mics, mixer/recorder, headphones, cables, bag).

You could also go with a compact consumer/prosumer camcorder. In your price range, the Canon Vixia line may be the best bet. Look at the HF G20. If you look at others, read the specs carefully. A lot of consumer cameras now offer only 60p shooting. That's fine if 60p is all you want, or if you'll eventually be delivering in 60i, but if you want the 24p look you'll be out of luck. Also, you'll still find the camera lacking in sound capability, so a second system will be needed.

Whichever camera you choose, you need also to budget for spare batteries. One battery is not enough to get you through a full shoot day without stopping to recharge for an hour or two. You'll also need a good, solid tripod with fluid head for each camera. You'll also need a few memory cards to make sure you have plenty of recording media for a shoot day.

I've mentioned sound a couple of times, but to be sure, whatever you spend on a camera you can at least double for what you'll need to spend on sound gear. Maybe more.

Hi Alberto - I'm a little confused - are you looking for two cameras for $1000 each - or two cameras for a total of $1000?

If you're looking for the best $1000 camera for video, you should consider a used Sony DSC-RX10 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. This camera is just over $1000, and will give you a 1" sensor (large enough to control your depth-of-field), an 8.3x constant f2.8 power zoom lens, manual audio gain control and a headphone jack.

Here is what this camera can do:

Travel: http://vimeo.com/88502443

Street: http://vimeo.com/82697387

Handheld Run n Gun: http://vimeo.com/80319639

If you're looking for two $500 cameras for $1000, you should consider getting a couple of Panasonic G6s, which are on sale right now with the kit lens for less than $600 each. This camera has manual audio gain control, but no headphone jack.

Here is what this camera can do:

MUSIC VIDEO

http://vimeo.com/88584840

http://vimeo.com/84436275

NARRATIVE

http://vimeo.com/78037118

http://vimeo.com/81339712

SPORTS/SLOW MOTION

http://vimeo.com/76503135

FASHION

http://vimeo.com/80173448

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

... trying to get a video production company going,... I graduated with a mass communications degree...
The equipment you'll get the most utility from will largely depend upon who you'd like to market your video productions to.

What kind of individuals or businesses did you have in mind to write you a check for what kind of product?
TV commercials for local businesses?
Webinars?
Corporate training and education videos?
Internet ads?
Other?

Is that $1000 total, or per camera (since you mention wanting/needing two cameras)?

Nothing in that range is going to offer you much support for sound. You can go with DSLR, but then you'll need to look at better lenses than whatever kit lens is included. In-camera sound will be miserable, and you'll need to look at a dual-system audio kit (mics, mixer/recorder, headphones, cables, bag).

You could also go with a compact consumer/prosumer camcorder. In your price range, the Canon Vixia line may be the best bet. Look at the HF G20. If you look at others, read the specs carefully. A lot of consumer cameras now offer only 60p shooting. That's fine if 60p is all you want, or if you'll eventually be delivering in 60i, but if you want the 24p look you'll be out of luck. Also, you'll still find the camera lacking in sound capability, so a second system will be needed.

Whichever camera you choose, you need also to budget for spare batteries. One battery is not enough to get you through a full shoot day without stopping to recharge for an hour or two. You'll also need a good, solid tripod with fluid head for each camera. You'll also need a few memory cards to make sure you have plenty of recording media for a shoot day.

I've mentioned sound a couple of times, but to be sure, whatever you spend on a camera you can at least double for what you'll need to spend on sound gear. Maybe more.

Thanks a lot.

I was thinking about used equipments but that is a risk. If I can spend no more than a thousand to start with, that will be good. I just need something to start with. Now I have to think of sound, lights and software too.

Are you looking to shoot your own films, or do you want to be a DP/Cinematographer? If you want to direct I would suggest that you retain people who have the equipment rather than purchasing it yourself. They will probably have superior gear and know how to use it far better than you will.

You're learning. Perhaps now is not the time to start a video production
company that is open to any kind of production. A video production
company with two reliable cameras is not versatile.

In your first post you mention you need a camera that has a mic input.
Do you have a good microphone? It seems you are still thinking about
sound and lights and software. Do I take that to mean you currently do
not have audio equipment, lights and editing software?

You're learning. Perhaps now is not the time to start a video production
company that is open to any kind of production. A video production
company with two reliable cameras is not versatile.

In your first post you mention you need a camera that has a mic input.
Do you have a good microphone? It seems you are still thinking about
sound and lights and software. Do I take that to mean you currently do
not have audio equipment, lights and editing software?

That is correct I'm starting from zero, I just bought a Mac and for now I only have imovie.

I want to have a video production company one day, I may start with anything I can.

I did some projects in college, nothing major but I have an idea of what I am getting into, I was using school equipments while in school.

I am going to start building everything from the ground. I already managed an amateur soccer team and founded a soccer club at my school so I am good at starting new projects and managing, I am a doer, a hard worker that makes thing happen.

Very few people around me are into films so I am doing things on my own.

Thanks for all the tips.

I still want to learn every part of the business, even if I will just be a director or producer in the future, the way I see it is that any experience count.

Then you should work for others on their projects. Be go'fer, a PA, a runner, whatever you can get, and work your way up on these low/no/mini/micro budget shoots. It's film school without the tuition, and you won't have to buy any gear just yet. You'll see all the good things and all of the bad things that occur on indie film sets. You will learn the various crafts by interacting with those who do it for a living - or at least have more experience than you do at this time.

Hard work, talent and intelligence will take you a long way, and when you are ready to do your own projects you will have a ready pool of talent from which to draw upon - and most of them will have equipment that you will not have to buy, so you can spend your budget on taking care of (paying even a token stipend) your cast and crew.

Then you should work for others on their projects. Be go'fer, a PA, a runner, whatever you can get, and work your way up on these low/no/mini/micro budget shoots. It's film school without the tuition, and you won't have to buy any gear just yet. You'll see all the good things and all of the bad things that occur on indie film sets. You will learn the various crafts by interacting with those who do it for a living - or at least have more experience than you do at this time.

Hard work, talent and intelligence will take you a long way, and when you are ready to do your own projects you will have a ready pool of talent from which to draw upon - and most of them will have equipment that you will not have to buy, so you can spend your budget on taking care of (paying even a token stipend) your cast and crew.

Thanks.

I'm always willing to help in any project, I have done it in the past, I was part of a few projects in Los Angeles. My family moved to South Carolina but I still try to go to Los Angeles as much as I can, I used to live in Palos Verdes.

There is no much going here in Columbia but I'm getting involved as much as I can, at the same time I do not to want work for somebody else my whole life, one day I want to be my own boss.

Possibly moving back to Los Angeles in the future, I still have some family in the valley.

I understand a shiny new camera may be appealing, but there is a ton to learn about lighting, editing and cinematography that you could do with just your cell phone if it takes good footage. Mine does HD and thats what I did my first editing experience with.. cell phone and iMovie.

I understand a shiny new camera may be appealing, but there is a ton to learn about lighting, editing and cinematography that you could do with just your cell phone if it takes good footage. Mine does HD and thats what I did my first editing experience with.. cell phone and iMovie.

Done that. I have done radio, tv news, final cut, student movies, a lot of amateur work.

I do see your point.

I had an internship at a local tv station but all they do is news. I also worked as a cameraman in football, baseball, volleyball bk, and soccer games. I have donde lot of voluntering filming of different events, I have done some djing too.

In the long run, I want to make movies, good movies.

A soccer video that I edited has about 100, 000 views on youtube, it was tv footage with my point of view, a "cool" way of presenting a soccer story.

Cool, sounds like you're on your way then.
Are you planning on writing your own scripts ?

I'm planning on doing all that it takes, I can write my own stories or I can use someone else's.

If is a good story, I will work with it.

Any of you have seen Voces Inocentes or Sin Nombre? Great dramas, I want to be able to produce or direct movies like those, good stories, I watch a lot of good foreign movies.

I had an internship at a local tv station but all they do is news.

I got my start at a local network affiliate. We did more than news - telethons, interstitials, live "town square" meetings - but it was still basically "news." However, I learned a lot because I paid attention, honed new skills, and then would get assigned to different productions where they needed those skills put to use. It may be "news" but it is still production, and if you can work your way into the crew producing promos then you are moving more in the right direction. Plus, it's work experience as well as employment that can help you save up for what's next.

I agree with others, knowing a little more about your current situation, that now is not the time to launch your own production company. I'd say go ahead and get a camera, tripod, and a handheld audio recorder, but only if you have the cash in hand for it. Make some shorts and challenge yourself to function within the limitations of your technology. Use those projects to develop your style, and eventually you can come up with some viewable content that demonstrates your abilities in a way that might get you other work.

Get work with other productions for the time being, and build both your resumé and your reel.

A production company is something to be launched only when there's already an existing client base to make it work.

I got my start at a local network affiliate. We did more than news - telethons, interstitials, live "town square" meetings - but it was still basically "news." However, I learned a lot because I paid attention, honed new skills, and then would get assigned to different productions where they needed those skills put to use. It may be "news" but it is still production, and if you can work your way into the crew producing promos then you are moving more in the right direction. Plus, it's work experience as well as employment that can help you save up for what's next.

I agree with others, knowing a little more about your current situation, that now is not the time to launch your own production company. I'd say go ahead and get a camera, tripod, and a handheld audio recorder, but only if you have the cash in hand for it. Make some shorts and challenge yourself to function within the limitations of your technology. Use those projects to develop your style, and eventually you can come up with some viewable content that demonstrates your abilities in a way that might get you other work.

Get work with other productions for the time being, and build both your resumé and your reel.

A production company is something to be launched only when there's already an existing client base to make it work.

I just don't have much patient to wait, I'm a doer not a thinker, but thanks for the good advices.

I couldn't work for the news, it was just not my cup of tea, and the reality is I have to pay loans, they did not offer me reasonable money, so I had to move on, gotta pay those monthly bills.

I will consider every advice in here, thanks a lot to all of you, at the same time I have to start, the sooner the better, I just have to make sure I don't burry myself in debt, that's not the path I want to follow.

Looking forward to meeting and may maybe working with some of you on the future.

Last edited:
I just don't have much patient to wait, I'm a doer not a thinker...

That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with building your career the right way. If your only real experience is from school, especially if you were away from it for a little while, you are going to have to start at the bottom. It may not be where you want to be now or in the near future, but that's reality.

I will consider every advice in here, thanks a lot to all of you, at the same time I have to start, the sooner the better, I just have to make sure I don't burry myself in debt, that's not the path I want to follow.

And starting your own production company right now with no gear, no existing client base, and no known reputation is the fastest way to bury yourself in debt.

Back