Camera recommendation for startup studio

Sup,

Ok, I plan on opening up a photography studio in the near future and would like to know if there are any camera recommendation for a startup. I've been eyeballing the canon t3i for a while - it's inexpensive and has great features. I feel that it can do the job.

What do you all think?

:)

Hi Star - if you're thinking about opening a photography studio, have you thought about asking your question on a photography forum instead of an independent filmmaking forum?

I recommend dpreview.com or perhaps thephotoforum.com

Best of the New Year,

Bill

Members over there just ridicule you

Heh... we've had our moments, too. :blush:

The Canon Rebel series are pretty good, sure. I have a T2i (the Canon T4i is the latest out right now).

Given any thought to lenses, though? Cameras come & go yearly, but a good set of lenses can last.

You should also find your local rental houses. Unless you're using a given piece of equipment very frequently, there's a lot to be said for only renting what you need as required. There's usually a large collateral required, but if you carry liability insurance (which is quite inexpensive) that can be used instead.

Thanks Zensteve

According to the big ballers/professional photographers at the photo forum, the t3i wouldn't be a good choice. Wish they would have just said that instead of hinting that I'm flat out ignorant to photography. Not that I'm not heeding their advice, yours is just a lot more helpful. Thanks.

I'm starting this business on a small budget so that's why I'm not yet ready to fork out $1500+ on a camera. Don't like the idea of renting equipment (especially cameras/lenses) but it is something I'd consider if I really had to.

If your budget is $1500, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Canon Rebel. You're staying within your means, is all.

Since it sounds like you won't have enough for a wide selection of lenses, a decent zoom lens will have to suffice for now. Something like a Tamron f2.8 28-75 is a decent general purpose zoom lens that won't break the bank.

Definitely look into insurance. If you plan to make some bux doing weddings, or similar events, you'll often need to provide proof of insurance to the locations manager or wedding planner.

What other kinds of gear have you taken into consideration? Lighting? Light stands? Bounce boards? Light meter? Studio space? That's just the tip of it, too. Lots of reasons why you shouldn't necessarily own everything... especially at first.

Are you talking about a full on photography studio, or simply marketing yourself as a freelancer? The rebel line of cameras are fine, lenses are much more important than the camera body itself.

Keep in mind though, that if you're starting a studio, you need a lot more than just the camera. If you plan to freelance, you can probably get away with one body, a good lens and a good flash, at least for the moment - at a studio, you'll at least want lights, backdrops, etc. etc.

The budget for everything is $3000. I just didn't want to spend half of that on the camera. I do planning on getting lights and stands but as far as renting them...I don't know, just seem like a hassle. I could check them out for free from my school but I don't know if that will be helpful for long.

By bounce boards you mean reflectors, right? :blush: I would like to get mostly everything I need for a successful session and stay within the $3000 budget. I looked at a studio space today. It's small but workable. It's about 12'x24'. The ceiling appeared to be 8'. Good start, no? But the space is cheap. The landlord said it's $365, free utilities, and I can do a month to month lease. That can't be beat.

Definitely getting insurance. Won't be right away but I will get it.

As far as renting, guess i will figure it out as time gets closer

Are you talking about a full on photography studio, or simply marketing yourself as a freelancer? The rebel line of cameras are fine, lenses are much more important than the camera body itself.

Keep in mind though, that if you're starting a studio, you need a lot more than just the camera. If you plan to freelance, you can probably get away with one body, a good lens and a good flash, at least for the moment - at a studio, you'll at least want lights, backdrops, etc. etc.

Full studio...enough space for camera, lights, backdrops. Most of the photography I want to do is green screen (good idea or no?) in which I can just paint the wall green. I'm only interested in portrait photography at the moment and won't be doing on location shoots. Maybe further down the line I will.

So I can go cheaper and get a t2i and just buy a really good lens and do fine?

According to the big ballers/professional photographers at the photo forum, the t3i wouldn't be a good choice. Wish they would have just said that instead of hinting that I'm flat out ignorant to photography.

Not to be rude, but what did you expect? No need to hint at it, your initial question suggests you are in fact pretty "ignorant to photography". I'm not saying that to be mean or make fun of you, just trying to be honest about how your post comes off.

If you're really thinking about "opening up a photography studio" and your main question is if an entry-level DSLR is a good choice for that then it suggests you either aren't serious about it, or you simply have so little experience/knowledge that you aren't aware that the question is sort of ridiculous. It's like someone going on a car forum and saying "I'm thinking of opening my own garage, can anyone recommend a good wrench?". Someone with the necessary experience to move on to starting a successful business generally wouldn't be asking a question like that.

You have to understand as well that the broad availability of high-quality digital equipment has led to more and more amateurs selling themselves as pros despite lacking the necessary experience. So the reaction you get from the "big ballers/professional photographers" on the other forum is likely because you're just the latest in a long line of people to come along who assume that having a camera qualifies them to be a professional photographer. You need to put in the time and effort to get the correct experience, and once you have put in that time and effort you'll have the knowledge to answer the question you asked yourself.

Thanks for the input.

It is what it is. That's why I'm asking on different forums. Somebody is bound to give me an answer without having a fit about a newbie question. Pretty sure those same people asked when they first started out.

But lesson learned. I don't regret asking. And I am serious about it. I love having money therefore I will NOT spend $3000 on something I'm not serious about.

To be fair, you probably could open up a studio with a T3i. Today's low-end DSLR's have pretty amazing quality, and even the best camera isn't going make a bad photographer a good photographer.

Personal rant: The general public has no taste and I've seen successful studios in Seattle run by photographers with zero talent and skill. Their composition and lighting make me want to vomit, but they profit because most people can't tell the difference. :P

May 2012. I know that's not very long so if you got a lecture, save it. Got it from the photo forum.

Dang, dude. He said he wasn't tryin' to be rude. :rolleyes:

Time to chillax.
smiley_bong.gif

Well the thing is people who start their own studios usually are experienced photographers who have been published and know what they're doing. Same goes with any trade really.

I think you're biting off more than you can chew by trying to start your own studio. With almost no experience and really no name for yourself, how do you expect to find clients and earn money? I personally wouldn't go to a photographer who I can't google and find a decent portfolio of.

I think you should get the Canon Rebel, get a decent zoom lens and actually learn and practice your photography for a while and get good. You might find that this is not for you or you might end up loving it. Make a Flickr account or a website and showcase your portfolio. Try and meet with local photographers and talk with other studios in your area and ask those guys how they got started and what it really takes to start your own studio.

I think, if you have the talent and stick with your goal, in a few years you may have the skills necessary to start a photography business. Take it in small steps. No need to jump in it all at once.

To be fair, you probably could open up a studio with a T3i. Today's low-end DSLR's have pretty amazing quality, and even the best camera isn't going make a bad photographer a good photographer.

Personal rant: The general public has no taste and I've seen successful studios in Seattle run by photographers with zero talent and skill. Their composition and lighting make me want to vomit, but they profit because most people can't tell the difference. :P

That's good to know but I swear I'm not doing this to fool people or make a quick buck (I know you're not accusing me of that). I admit, it's a stepping stone for what I really want to do. I'm a film student who happens to like photography. My passion is editing and making tv shows. I should have said this in the beginning but my friend/roommate/schoolmate is going to be doing most of the photography. He's a film student too but he's more knowledgeable of photography as he attended a photography school a few years ago. I'll be doing the editing and business part of it and photography when he is not available.

May 2012. I know that's not very long so if you got a lecture, save it. Got it from the photo forum.

Oh man, I remember getting that kind of treatment back in 2005. :)

Here's something actually constructive: The Photographer's Eye is a fantastic book on the art of photography composition. Want to get past all the "Only use the rule-of-thirds!" people and starting shooting interesting photos? Read this book.

Dang, dude. He said he wasn't tryin' to be rude. :rolleyes:

Time to chillax.
smiley_bong.gif

Dudette. And I know. Neither was I. Just letting him/her know just in case he/she was gonna get on my case about my situation.

I'm going to edit my response to zero here:

Zero, if you asked that question just to know, sorry. If you planned on giving me a lecture and shooting me down, please save it.

Everybody, I just wanted camera advice, not business advice.

Last edited:
Back