Camera recommendation for startup studio

Sup,

Ok, I plan on opening up a photography studio in the near future and would like to know if there are any camera recommendation for a startup. I've been eyeballing the canon t3i for a while - it's inexpensive and has great features. I feel that it can do the job.

What do you all think?

:)

Everyone has to start somewhere and after two years in YOUR studio you'll probably start doing well and feeling like a pro yourself (then you can make condecending comments to peoples questions). Canon T2i but I'd say go for a 60D for it's swivel sceen which will also be good for filming.

Last edited:
All fine advice above, but if you really want to get a 5DII, I wouldn't worry about it. Whether it's an amatuer camera or a professional camera or a prosumer camera all depends upon whom you're talking to or reading. But no reasonable person is going to deny that the 5DII can give you outstanding results. And unless I'm mistaken, plenty of wedding/event photographers and portrait photographers have been using the 5DII. And, won't swear on a Bible, but I doubt that your average client is likely to look at it and think that you're not using a serious camera. And since you and we know that you intend to shoot studio portraits with it, you might as well also get the power grip for it, so that you can comfortably and efficiently get those vertical portrait shots that I'll bet you and your clients will want. That's likely to make it look even more like a monster of a camera and somewhat like the 1DSes.

About the 1D cameras, I'm sure a 1D camera would be fine, but if you're going to get a used 1D-Something camera, I would recommend that you avoid the 1D cameras, since they are 1.3 crop sensor cameras, and their main claim to fame is high shutter counts per second, which makes them good for sports and the like, but you don't need that for subjects that are sitting still in a studio.

But you want to shoot portraits, so I'd recommend that, as long as (if) you're buying one of these old cameras, you should probably get one of the 1DS Somethings, if you can find a decent one for a decent price, since they have fullframe sensors. Yes, sensor size matters, I think, especially for portraits.

And here I go. It's not like you can't find plenty of people complaining about sensor dust with the 5DII, too. I don't know off the top of my head which of the 1D and 1DS cameras have or don't have built in sensor cleanors, but that's (I think) something to think about in your decision making process. And of course, you might as well already be thinking about how you and your partner need to try and practice good practice regarding sensor dust. For instance, you should always try to keep the camera body oriented downward when putting a lens on. I find that to be almost impossible, myself, but I do strive for it. Anyway, for example, never lay your camera body upwards. It's simple gravity; the dust will fall in. Another thing, get a good, strong blower and always blow dust away from the back end of your lenses before attaching them to your camera body. Etc. The point is, an ounce of prevention...

=)

Last edited:
Thanks everybody.

Ok, so forget the photography for a moment...because I've been doing further research. I mentioned in a previous post to this thread that I'm a film student and would like to create tv shows and edit. Well, I've been looking at camcorders now and I came across the canon XA10. Anybody own or familiar with this camcorder? In my opinion, it produces quality images and has the film look that I'm looking for. And the price is reasonable :yes:

I like that the 5D MKII has full frame. The XA10 doesn't. Is it really a bad thing to use a camcorder that doesn't have full frame if filming...say...a short film?

Keep in mind that 35mm film movies are shot with the film running vertically through the camera, giving a frame size closer to crop-factor cameras and is smaller than the frame shot by 35mm film stills cameras and full-frame DSLRs.

So what does this impact? If the field-of-view 35mm lens on a crop factor camera and a 50mm lens on a full-frame are nearly identical, what's the difference? It turns out, the depth-of-field is determined by the length of the lens, so a 50mm on a full-frame will give a shallower DOF than a 35mm on a crop-factor at the same exposure settings.

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I started shooting with a full-frame. I find the images more aesthetically-pleasing.

The image sensor on the XA10 is 1/3". Bigger sensors collect more light and therefore have less grain/noise than smaller sensors. If you get the XA10 you'll have worse low-light performance and a much deeper DOF.

Keep in mind that 35mm film movies are shot with the film running vertically through the camera, giving a frame size closer to crop-factor cameras and is smaller than the frame shot by 35mm film stills cameras and full-frame DSLRs.

So what does this impact? If the field-of-view 35mm lens on a crop factor camera and a 50mm lens on a full-frame are nearly identical, what's the difference? It turns out, the depth-of-field is determined by the length of the lens, so a 50mm on a full-frame will give a shallower DOF than a 35mm on a crop-factor at the same exposure settings.

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I started shooting with a full-frame. I find the images more aesthetically-pleasing.

The image sensor on the XA10 is 1/3". Bigger sensors collect more light and therefore have less grain/noise than smaller sensors. If you get the XA10 you'll have worse low-light performance and a much deeper DOF.

I'd like a camera that I can use for a long time. Do you think the 5D is a better choice in the long run?

I'd like a camera that I can use for a long time. Do you think the 5D is a better choice in the long run?

It really depends on your use case. I'm a stills photographer as well, so the 5D MkIII was a natural choice for me since I get to shoot video using my existing lens collection. :) A dedicated video camera will be much less hassle to use if you're only ever going to shoot video with it, and you don't have to invest thousands and thousands of dollars into lenses. You'll also get to avoid the rolling shutter and aliasing problems you get when shooting DSLR.

That being said, I've shot a video short (still in post, not done yet) lit entirely by candles and it looks beautiful because the 5D MkII/III perform amazingly well in low light. The next step up in that arena puts you in the C300 range (about $16,000, not including lenses).

Thanks everybody.

Ok, so forget the photography for a moment...because I've been doing further research. I mentioned in a previous post to this thread that I'm a film student and would like to create tv shows and edit. Well, I've been looking at camcorders now and I came across the canon XA10. Anybody own or familiar with this camcorder? In my opinion, it produces quality images and has the film look that I'm looking for. And the price is reasonable :yes:

I like that the 5D MKII has full frame. The XA10 doesn't. Is it really a bad thing to use a camcorder that doesn't have full frame if filming...say...a short film?

Like escher, I love that "full-frame aesthetic," as Philip Bloom likes to call it.

But, you might like to watch Philip Bloom's review of the Canon XA10 and its siblings. He likes them and recommends them, it seems. Also, Directorik has pointed out that the Vixia HF G10 is really the same camera, only stripped down or more basic yet...but cheaper.

Vimeo. Phililp Bloom: Review of Canon XA10 XF100 XF105

Last edited:
Good video. Wow, I really like that XF100. I've read reviews about the XA10 and people seem to dislike the touchscreen. I have a feeling that will get on my nerves as well. But the price is soooooo right

Ohhhh decisions decisions...

Thanks for the input.

It is what it is. That's why I'm asking on different forums. Somebody is bound to give me an answer without having a fit about a newbie question. Pretty sure those same people asked when they first started out.

But lesson learned. I don't regret asking. And I am serious about it. I love having money therefore I will NOT spend $3000 on something I'm not serious about.

This is not a rant.

I'm pretty sure those people didn't ask that question when they started a studio.
They may have asked that question after they wore down of outgrew their first camera and then asked someone what would be a good camera to make the pictures they wanted to make.
When they started they probably had a good idea about what camera they would use.
That's why they pin the newby-lable on you.

But don't be discouraged by that.
Follow your heart!
But be realistic as well.
You need to practise a lot, because paying costumers don't want to get the feeling that you don't really know what you are doing.
When you start a business you also need to learn to do the business side: networking, marketing, 'score assignments'.

They know how much time they spent on getting experience, knowledge and developing their skills and style.
While they don't take you very seriously, they may feel threatened at the same time: the tools for good photography have become very accessible in the past decade. The exclusivity (does this word exist??) of professional gear does no longer exist.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Most of the photography I want to do is green screen (good idea or no?) in which I can just paint the wall green.

I'm curious if this is still an area of focus? Building a dedicated green screen studio? That might bring into different requirements when looking for a camera. I read through this thread, to see if anyone touched on this or not. I see they haven't, so ill bring it up.

While pretty much any footage can be keyed, certain things will make keying footage much easier. I've seen recommendations of the Ti line, to 5D's and Nikon cameras. If this is a commercial studio, offering green screen services for television. There might be codec and bit rate requirements to consider when selecting a camera. Ive read (for example) the BBC has list of approved cameras for use in their programming. Also think i read min 50mbs recording bit rate. Also the color space a camera films in. Something that, films in 4:2:2 color space will key better then say 4:2:0. If this is a studio for personel use, some of these things might not be as big a factor, but if its for commercial, you might have to consider them. What is your market, commercials for local business? What are the requirements of local tv stations?

Just my 2 cents

Jeff - I was under the impression he's talking about primarily still photography, not video, in which case discussions of color sampling, codec and bit-rate don't really apply. As long as a camera can shoot stills in RAW it'll give plenty of information for keying green screen, and I'm pretty sure all of the common DSLRs do that now.

Back