Camera for backpacking trip

Hey guys,

I will be leaving for a long-term backpacking trip across the world in the summer/fall. My goal is to create a documentary about the many diverse belief systems that develop within the different cultures across the world. My current camera gear setup is a GoPro Hero 3+, Canon 6D w/ a few lenses, and just recently purchased a Sony RX100 III. I am planning on selling the Canon gear to go with an actual dedicated video camera instead.

The budget for the camera itself is roughly $2,000 give or take. If the best solution is at $2,500...that's fine but I would rather keep it at $2,000 or below if possible. Other things I still need to purchase are an audio recorder, shotgun and lav mic, and a lightweight tripod setup. I haven't setup a budget for the audio equipment and tripod yet since I still have 6 months to save money before my trip begins.

I would like to be able to shoot 1080p @60fps. The camera doesn't have to have 4K shooting abilities but of course it would be a nice additional feature. Ideally, I would like to be able to send the documentary, once it is finished, to BBC or similar companies.

This will be a solo trip and will not have other people to help shoot the video. The trip will hopefully last at least 10 months if not longer.

What camera would you suggest given the gear that I already own, the budget, and the goal for the type of documentary I want to shoot? What about the audio equipment and tripod?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to being apart of this community.

-Justin

I have edited three doc's for a long distance hiker. He did the Pacific Crest,
the Continental Divide, the Appalachian and took 17 months to hike all 3,800
miles of the American Discovery trail. Everything handheld using the on
board mic. Audio was the primary issue.

Good choice to dump the DSLR - they aren't rugged cameras. I think you
could use a couple of GoPros and that Sony. Getting good audio all alone
is a challenge. Lavs seem unworkable. You need to be attached to the camera.
I can only imagine the challenges of a separate audio recorder and shotgun
mic but that might be your best solution.

Hi Justin - sounds like a great project, but you may have a hard time convincing the BBC to broadcast anything short of 50mbps 10-bit 4:2:2

Sadly, none of the cameras in your current kit can record to a broadcast quality codec.

In your price range, you may want to consider the new $2300 Sony PXW-X70 pro video camera. This camera records to broadcast quality 50mbps 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC at up to 1080/60p.

One caveat: you'll need the $149.99 Catalyst Prepare software from Sony to transcode it to something your editing software can deal with.

This camera has built-in pro XLR mic inputs (so you won't need an external audio recording solution) and a built-in neutral density filter - features missing from every DSLR or mirrorless camera.

With the Sony Optical Steady Shot system, you won't need a stabilizer for walking shots. Here is some footage from a review of this camera, starting with a walking shot (please watch at 1080p): http://youtu.be/4mFBoo4jvKo?t=14m40s

You would have to pay a lot of money for a counterbalanced or gyro stabilizer to get shots this smooth from most other cameras.

With its 1" sensor, this camera will give you shallower depth of field than most traditional small sensor camcorders. Here is an example: http://vimeo.com/112019374

It will also get an upgrade from 1080p HD to 2160p Ultra HD "4K" early this year (you'll have to pay for it, though).

Here is what this camera can do at 1080p:

NATURE: http://youtu.be/t_kodnSoTsk

TYPICAL NIGHT NEWS FOOTAGE: http://youtu.be/VdPvaJD1rWY

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your trip!

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice!

Bill, I've definitely been checking out the x70 for a while now. What would you recommend for a mic? Would the Rode NTG-2 or Sennheiser MKE 600 be a good setup?

Glad you found the info useful!

As far as shotguns go, I would spend a few extra dollars and get the Sennheiser - especially since it's on sale for $279.95 right now. It is more compact, lighter and, to my ears, sounds better.

Nice side-by-side between the two mics here (please listen with headphones - audio is in German, so you may have to turn on captions in English translation mode).

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill

Been exactly where you are. Last year I was looking for a camera I can put in my pocket that delivers a quality image. First, you will not find a 4K or a 50 Mbps 'pocket' camera. Also, in Mexico and many other foreign countries, they do limit what they perceive as 'pro camera' use in areas around their country. I have been limited in what I can shot with my bigger cameras. The camera I am recommending is small. Does NOT look PRO. However, it is a great little camera that puts out 28 Mbps @ 60p AND with battery, etc., fits in my cargo pocket with very little weight. Image quality is awesome. Used it on the road out west last year while climbing and hiking Utah, Nevada, Oregon, California and states in between. Samples of footage can be seen on YouTube @ stonepatterson (watch in HD setting and larger formatted picture). The Sony HDR-PJ790 won CES a few years ago as best new camera, however, Sony came out with a replacement (newer model different name) last year that is no where near as good. Look at the specs -- the replacement camera offers less. HDR-PJ790 has 96 GB storage in camera and cards are cheap -- a 32 GB is about $25.00 and records 2 3/4 hours +. Batteries are cheap. I use 3 light weight, compact LED lights with the old Sony NP-F 920 batteries and have light for 3 to 6 hours... fits in my other cargo pants pockets. Add better XLR mics with adapter. My tripod is a 'designer' walking stick, I can haul in primitive areas at great distance and can start recording in seconds. Camera fits in large freezer bags too for added protection from dust, sand and water. The camera size is small so it doesn't intimidate those in front of the lenses (that I can add when needed). My total equipment for the haul was under $1,890.00 -- but you must shop around! I also bought a nice 48" slider -- to keep my entire money spent to under $2,000.00. Good luck in finding the right camera... for your needs. I did.

Last edited:
Directorik, thanks for the comment... it is always nice to be missed, (been busy doing a lot of film/video projects over the past few years). I still frequently visit and read on Indietalk, for this is a great group with lots of information shared. Saw the question from SeekingBeyond907 and thought I'd offer my 2 cents... cause I too, a few years back, was looking for such a portable camera.

Back