Camera and other questions

I have between 700-900 dollars to spend for a camera, what's the best for my buck, or would it be best to save a bit more for a camera, I am seeing alot about the canon 550d t2i. I will be using the camera to make short films. What else would you recommend I look into buying? I understand sound, and lighting is critical. Also any ideas about lenses. I will probably be using final cut studio for editing. Thanks

I have between 700-900 dollars to spend for a camera, what's the best for my buck, or would it be best to save a bit more for a camera, I am seeing alot about the canon 550d t2i. I will be using the camera to make short films. What else would you recommend I look into buying? I understand sound, and lighting is critical. Also any ideas about lenses. I will probably be using final cut studio for editing. Thanks
What is very important in a camera is a mic input and manual
control over focus, iris, shutter speed and white balance. In your
price range those important functions difficult to find. But check
out the Samsung SMX-K40, the Sony CX100 and the Canon FS200.

You will need a good mic and a boom pole.

What you're looking for is a good shotgun mic. That in itself is a
generic term that means any long barreled mic. You want a good
condenser (externally powered) mic with a “lobar” pick up pattern
to put on your boom pole. Lobar pick up means the mic focuses its
audio pick up to a narrow area. This is why you want to use a boom
pole to get the mic as close the the actor as possible - you’ll
get clean dialogue tracks with less ambient noise.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/
Sennheiser is the mic most used by professional sound recordists.
They are expensive and worth it. Check out the ME-66 and the ME-
67. The MKH60 is the best if you can afford it.

http://www.audio-technica.com/
Audio-Technica is cheaper. Check out the AT8035. It’s a workable
mic, a little muddy and not as directional as it should be. The
AT835ST is a good mic for the price, but it, too, sounds a bit
muddy - the vocals don’t sound crisp enough for me.

http://www.rodemic.com/microphones.php
Rode mics are quite good. Check the NTG (shotgun) series.

http://www.azdencorp.com/
I’ve never used Azden mic’s. They’re inexpensive and I don’t hear
too many good things about them, but if that's all you can afford
it's MUCH better than using the camera mic.

A good mic is an investment. It will last longer than your camera
- why skimp? A great place to check prices and purchase is B&H
Photo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume
needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get. Your
goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal
(the dialogue) less noise (the background). Even a very good,
expensive Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot of
background ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.

Lowel makes nice kits. Tungsten lights with stands, barndoors and
hard case. Britek makes nice light kits - cheaper than Lowel and
not as durable, but very usable. You can also check Arri lights -
more expensive and worth every penny. I have a Lowel 6 light kit
with the Omni’s and Tota’s that I bought new in 1990 and am still
using it 20 years later.

For a nice beginning light kit I recommend:

A couple of work lights with stands from any home improvement
store.
http://www.vestilmfg.com/products/ldsol/HLGN.jpg

Five or six “scoop lights” - those lamps with the silver
reflector.
http://www.nolansupply.com/small_images/cg5217yhfdh.jpg

Three or four pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use
to bounce the light.
http://www.artsupply.com/brand/foamcore.htm

Two or three Paper Lanterns that you can get at Ikea. I hook each
one to a dimmer (home improvement store again) to get better control.
http://www.lunabazaar.com/white-8-inch-no-frills-paper-lantern.aspx

Some colored gels (check on line or if there is a small theater in
your town they often have extras) and some black wrap.
Check Studio Depot
http://www.studiodepot.com/store/

You'll need a tripod. Check out these two recent threads:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=27566
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=27760

People really love their T2i. To get one up to production standards it can
get quite expensive. But I know that many filmmakers are happy with
it right out of the box. But at the very least you will need an audio recorder
when using a DSLR. I'm thinking in your price range a more standard
camera would be the better option.

thanks man for the response, alot of solid information, when you say getting the T2i up to production standards can get expensive, how much are you thinking? I am not totally sold on the T2i or any camera at the moment. Thinking I should save a bit more

Most people using the DSLR’s are fine using it as is; right out of
the box. And there is no boubt that because of the lens and the
size of the sensor one can get a nice image and the shallow DOF
that is so desired.

What I mean by production standards is getting that camera to a
place where it can be used during a standard, ultra low budget
movie shoot.

Just to be clear; I know one doesn't HAVE to bring the camera up
to production standards in order to make a movie. Most do not and
are happy with the camera right out of the box.

The audio on the T2i is horrible so it is essential you buy an
audio recorder. For a very low budget production all the
camcorders with an audio input can record fine production audio.

Since there is such a shallow DOF riding focus is important. An
actor can step out of the field of focus easily. So a follow focus
unit is very important. And because the lenses are more sensitive
a mattebox is essential.

Not every shot is going to be on a tripod so a shoulder mount is
essential.

The little screen on the camera isn’t good enough. So a monitor is
essential. To be fair this is an issue with small camcorders too.
The audio input and video output on small cameras are in
inconvenient places - attaching a mic and monitor to small cameras
is really annoying.

One of the reasons to buy a DSLR are lenses. A good prime lens is
expensive. Three can really break the back. Again, one doesn’t
HAVE to buy lenses, but isn’t this one of the reasons people love
these cameras?

Fine cameras - just not as cheap as most people believe.

I may just get the T2i and save for the extra stuff I need, will I be able to use Final Cut Studio to edit the footage i get on the t2i? i would imagine so.....

also what are some lenses I would need for this camera?

Last edited:
I may just get the T2i and save for the extra stuff I need, will I be able to use Final Cut Studio to edit the footage i get on the t2i? i would imagine so.....

also what are some lenses I would need for this camera?

Yep. You'll need to convert the footage before you start editing it, but it's really simple and the only software you need to do it is free (or you can use the tools that come with Final Cut Studio).

The kit lens (EF-S 18-55m f/3.5-5.6) is pretty cheap, versatile and good quality for the money. The next lens most people buy is a nifty fifty, a fast portrait lens that's good in low-light situations - a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. The kit lens and a 50mm will cover a lot of situations for a beginner, and is a relatively low-cost setup.

Last edited:
You've got amazon and bhphotovideo if you're buying online. They usually have the cheapest prices. Getting a kit with the body and an 18-135mm will save you about 200 dollars on the lens.

Prices and deals change now and then so start searching online and ull get a good idea. Amazon, Bh, Adorama...

ok thanks, so have you had any experience with the t2i? I wanna make sure this is the right camera, I have been looking at pros and cons and cant decide. I wanna use this camera for short movies and maybe documentary style movies. I was reading that the camera has issues with shutter speed and tracking or pan shots. have you heard anything about this? do you know of any short movies that used the t2i that I can maybe watch?

I found some shorts shot with the t2i....so nm, unless there is a certain short you like and recommend i check it out

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend DSLR if you plan on shooting documentaries with it. The video capture length is maximum 12 minutes which can hold you back, you get quite a bad jello effect if you're doing run and gun documentary filming and composing it and its elements for any shot is quite fiddly. It's fine for short films but if you're setting up in a rush then you might want something with automatic focus...etc.

Just thoughts. Also you might want to look at buying the Kiss X4 (or whatever it's called version) if you want to save a little bit more money. Then put that money into the sound kitty.

Probably wouldn't do documentary really, mainly short movies, by run n gun what do you mean? I'm just kind of confused on what I should buy, still a novice when it comes to cameras and what to look for in a camera, I wanna be able to shoot short movies with multiple styles of shots

ok thanks, so have you had any experience with the t2i? I wanna make sure this is the right camera, I have been looking at pros and cons and cant decide. I wanna use this camera for short movies and maybe documentary style movies. I was reading that the camera has issues with shutter speed and tracking or pan shots. have you heard anything about this? do you know of any short movies that used the t2i that I can maybe watch?

I found some shorts shot with the t2i....so nm, unless there is a certain short you like and recommend i check it out

I havent used the t2i. But ive used other DSLR's and own one similar to it.

Check out Cracker Funk's blog here on IT and u'll get more info about the pros and cons you're concerned with.

Imo, everything has its advantages and disadvantages. DSLR's aren't perfect but there is so much you can do with them with a little knowledge and creativity.

Last edited:
I am actually planning on buying a Canon Vixia hfs21. You can find it for under 1k now and though its considered a consumer camera, it has great quality and plenty of "professional features."

still doing research on whats best for its buck.....

say I go with the Canon t2i what are some extras I will need?
Lenses, external audio setup, stabilizer, lighting kits, follow focus unit, tripod, shoulder mount, monitor, anything else? any recommendations for each of these

I already have Final Cut Studio, and own an external hard drive.

also, directorik you were saying attaching mic and monitor cables into small cameras can be annoying, can this be a major problem for certain shots? has anyone had this problem? also thanks for the recommendations on lighting kits and audio setups.

still doing research on whats best for its buck.....

say I go with the Canon t2i what are some extras I will need?
Lenses, external audio setup, stabilizer, lighting kits, follow focus unit, tripod, shoulder mount, monitor, anything else? any recommendations for each of these

You have all this information in several older thread especially about first lenses. The search function is ur friend :)

I am actually planning on buying a Canon Vixia hfs21. You can find it for under 1k now and though its considered a consumer camera, it has great quality and plenty of "professional features."

Heck I'm seeing HV-30 and HV-40 in the $400 range used as they are being abandoned for DSLR. I saw an HV-30 on my local craigslst with extra battteries, a 35mm adapter, and an upgraded mic for like $600.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is on amazon for $789 free shipping, this price dropped from yesterday ($899)....I think this is a good deal, dont know much about the lens but I know its one chilipie recommended. I may jump on this

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is on amazon for $789 free shipping, this price dropped from yesterday ($899)....I think this is a good deal, dont know much about the lens but I know its one chilipie recommended. I may jump on this

Yeah, I have seen body only on ebay for about $500. That's a good price for new with a kit lens.

Back