Business Name

What it do!!!

I live in Arizona, and in the near future I will have a film/video production company. The name of my company is XYZ Studios. I even bought a domain name for the company: xyzstudios dot com. Later I found out theres another film/video production company named XYZ Studio but this company is in another state.

Will I face any legal problems by naming my production company XYZ Studios since it's so similar to XYZ Studio? My acronym does have a meaning. It's named after a show I'm creating. I don't know if the other company's acronym mean anything.

PS: XYZ Studio/Studios are made up names to protect the real names. Whether XYZ Studio or Studios is a real business I do not know. Didn't bother to search because I just needed an example :P

PSS: I have not yet registered my business name

Yes. Since both of you are in the same business then that could
cause confusion in the marketplace and the first company using
the name could keep you from using the name. There are some
exceptions but for the actual, legal details a message board isn't
where you need to ask. I suspect the "S" (studio vs. studios) will
create confusion so you would lose.

Always do your research before settling on a name. The last thing you want to do is find out that it's really the name of a well established studio that has the financial clout to sue you into oblivion.

Thanks

I'm doing extra research. I've checked the name with Arizona secretary of state website and it's not listed. I've also checked with USPTO but nothing has come up yet. USPTO yielded lots of results so it's gonna take some time to look through those.

Do you know of any other sites I can check? Eventually I will discuss this with a lawyer but can't afford it right now. So I'm asking around on forums to get a general idea. From the looks of it I'll probably just think of a new name :lol:

Last edited:
Name you LLC "xyz entertainment group" or something like that. Sort of an umbrella over your various other activities.

A production company isnt necessarily a studio.. why not xyz productions? If it were me, Id lose the xyz altogether, sounds like it might be a common name, where there's one, there might be more.. !!

Back