Budgets of movies these days?

The technical definition of "indie" is any film done outside the studio system; that leaves the door open for some very hefty budgets. There have also been some very nice films at the ultra low budget level. Please define what YOU mean by "indie."

Or are you asking how much self-financed and/or Kickstarter, etc. financed projects are spending these days?

The technical definition of "indie" is any film done outside the studio system; that leaves the door open for some very hefty budgets. There have also been some very nice films at the ultra low budget level. Please define what YOU mean by "indie."

Or are you asking how much self-financed and/or Kickstarter, etc. financed projects are spending these days?
I was just wondering what kind of budgets these producers looking for scripts on InkTip have.

For 80K you can make something that looks like a low budget piece of crap.

True, you could make something that looks like a low budget piece of crap. Or you could make something that looks like ‘Pi’ or ‘Clerks’ or ‘Blair Witch Project’ or ‘Paranormal Activity’ or ‘El Mariachi’ or ‘Eraserhead’ or ‘Following’ or ‘Primer’ or......

These were all well received by critics and audiences alike. Sure, some had additional money spent on them by the distributors to bring them up to scratch, but in all cases the original production budget (that which allowed them to make the movie that the distributors picked up in the first place) was below $80K, in some cases significantly so.

Micro budgets don’t automatically equate to crap films.

What kind of movie can you do for $80,000?

Potentially the very successful kind. See above.

Short Film: 250,000 or less
Feature Film 250,000 +

Where do you get that figure from?

What about the numerous successful feature films that have been made for less than $250,000?

Can you give some examples of short films made for somewhere near to $250K? Perhaps made for around $200K? I'm not doubting that it has been done, I'm just curious to see how often short films are made with such budgets, and who it is that's financing them.

That is a standard for filmmakers and it's also the criteria when entering a short or feature film into film festivals. Of course you don't have to follow it budget for budget; it can be balanced if you want to invest more or less money into your film.

That is a standard for filmmakers and it's also the criteria when entering a short or feature film into film festivals.

Sorry for taking this thread somewhat off course, but I do have to ask...

Which film festivals are you referring to? Are you suggesting that certain film festivals will not accept a feature film if it’s budget is less than $250K? I’ve never heard of budget being an entry requirement. I can imagine there being no-budget film festivals, that don’t accept entries with budgets more than $10K (for example). But then again, I could be wrong. Can anybody confirm that certain festivals don't accept entries from feature films with budgets less than $250K? Sounds very odd to me.

Yes, certain film festivals have a criteria for entries.
Quality, what are those festivals? Pretty simple question.

You are presently in the process of shooting a no budget feature film so
you know that a feature can be made for less than $250,000. Where did
you get this “standard for filmmakers”? Please offer an example.

mad hatter, I don't know of any festivals that have a budget requirement.
I look forward to Quality telling us which festivals have budget criteria.

What I meant to say was that I don't know any specific festivals but I know that some of them require those criterias.

That is a standard for filmmakers and it's also the criteria when entering a short or feature film into film festivals. Of course you don't have to follow it budget for budget; it can be balanced if you want to invest more or less money into your film.

Standard? From where did this standard come from? Not everybody uses SAG actors and union crews.

What I meant to say was that I don't know any specific festivals but I know that some of them require those criterias.
I believe you are misinformed. I have never seen a film festival that
require a budget of above $250,000 to enter. But since you know
that some festivals have this criteria it would be helpful to us to
mention the ones you know. I may be the one who is misinformed.

What about this standard you mention? Where does this standard
(short film: $250,000 or less, feature film $250,000 +) come from?
Where do you get these figures? I can point to dozens of features
made for less than $250,000 that were distributed. And hundreds
made for far less than $250,000.

Back