British Filmmakers

This board is, I understand, predominantly American.

So I thought I would make this little thread for any of us Brits out there to discuss what we're doing in the UK film industry and what our general thoughts are.

Of course Americans are more than welcome to post their thoughts on Britain and/or ask questions about the British film scene, it's just that there is no real place (other than the classified listings) with is specifically aimed at British film makers.

So basically, who's English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish? (Sorry Ireland, if it makes y'all feel better you can post as well).

I'm English and I'm in London :D

Considering relative size (population-wise) I'd say the UK is represented quite nicely, on this forum. As to the reasoning why we don't see more from around the world, I would think it's probably mostly just a linguistic barrier. This is an English-language forum, and USA has the largest population of native English-speakers, so...

Anyway, why don't you start it off, Nick? I know you just got a sweet camera, and are weighing your options for an editing computer. What's the first planned project? :yes:

Well thanks for the introduction CF... :P

Ok, I (recently) bought the Canon EOS 550D (after all this is the British thread) and haven't really done anything other than stills with it yet. I'm planning on acquiring an external audio recorder and mic over the winter and the whole computer issue is a bit crazy, but that could also possibly be rectified.

The project I'm (tentatively) working on is a mockumentary about the global financial crisis based on a 1993 report by a London think tank which simulated the collapse of a merchant bank. The idea would be to film the crash playing out at the fictional bank and then also film interviews with real experts, but get them to talk about the crisis through the example of this fictional bank. Any how it's a work in progress but I've got a foot in the door and hopefully we can get the sponsorship of various city organisations so that we have some proper funds for renting equipment. For actors I'm looking to use a combination of real people working in the financial sector and also professional actors to give it an interesting pseudo-realistic vibe. But I need to get more muscle behind it before I move any further.

In the mean time I'm not really doing anything else, but I want to rack up a bit more on set experience so if any fellow British filmmakers need an extra pair of (idle) hands then just let me know :D

But I want to know about you guys as well, especially the bigger and better peeps... :P

That sounds excellent, Nick. As I've mentioned on a previous thread upon the subject of "Mockumentary", the writing process, is alike nothing I've happened to do before. From what i've read, the script should be loose, presenting mere bones for the actors to source from. I'd assumed as much, be it the interviews are effectively able to reer in numerous directions that could make any following void.

What has been your preperation thus far?

I can't help but believe it will rely alot on the actors, and their ability to improvise.

As for us, we're not hugely busy, or atleast it doesn't feel as though we are. Having one of our big-guns at University is bittersweet. Sweet, in the sense that his already stunning cinematography is flourishing, further equipment at our fingertips if needed, and the discounting and occasionally free locations you happen to acquire when you're classed as a "Student".

Bitter, in the sense that it is timeconsuming, although profitable it is in many ways, there's nothing more valuable than how are time is spent.

So, as of late, we're continuing to shoot the small commercials most of you have seen, in the hope we can muster some cash to sink into PTP, and funding. We have three to do over the next few weeks.

Then, in the weeks surrounding Christmas/January, we'll be shooting two music videos, which again, are not huge productions. However, Nick, there's a recent thread concering "Sharing your Directorial experiences", if you find a post of mine, you'll see that one of the projects happens to be presenting a very intricate challenge, so that should make for an enjoyable shoot.

Immediately after we'll be continuing making the preperations for our Short films, which should put us fresh in the path of numerous Festival deadlines that we are hoping to submit to.

Interesting next few months it will certainly be.

Last edited:
I'm in London too. I'm not actually a film-maker (yet), i'm primarily a screenwriter. Not that i've sold anything or had anything produced, but I do believe that some of my work is good enough to be produced. I've just purchased my first camcorder to start learning, and hopefully i'll soon be making a few of my self-written shorts.

If you ever need a writer/reader, message me, if i'm free i'll help, but i'm quite busy alot of the time.

I'm also looking for some sort of film/cinema club in London if you know of one.

Nick, that sounds like a cool idea.

Papertwin, how many people are in your production company?

Danjama, I look forward to seeing your first short. I'm an advocate of taking small steps. I think your first short should be really short.

My mother-in-law is from England, grew up during WWII in a family of 10 (!) in absolute poverty but they were all very happy. Fish head stew was the norm. She now lives in the states (New Hampshire, where I met my wife Rebecca) and I've visited there for a week when she was doing a work abroad program for a small publishing company.

Anyhow... when we were living in Davis, California for her vet degree, I became very good friends with an aspiring and talented filmmaker Liam (his blog here). We hit it off nicely at a film festival and collaborated on several projects while in Davis. Now, he's back in England (can't recall where) but he's almost done film school and we are still in contact and working on scripts together as best we can.

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Carry on!

* oh, Nick, I make love AND T-shirts ; )

Last edited:
Well, I'm in Bristol, film wise, I've not made anything, although I have ideas (still not gotten idea to paper yet) for four shorts and I wanna get something for them written as soon as I can but school is getting in the way (studying 4 A Levels)
I'm debating doing a film degree in uni when I finish A Levels but because I'm not taking Media or anything like that I'm wondering how difficult it'll be to get in

Well, I'm in Bristol, film wise, I've not made anything, although I have ideas (still not gotten idea to paper yet) for four shorts and I wanna get something for them written as soon as I can but school is getting in the way (studying 4 A Levels)
I'm debating doing a film degree in uni when I finish A Levels but because I'm not taking Media or anything like that I'm wondering how difficult it'll be to get in

If you haven't done media or film studies, and haven't made any films, how are you going to prove to film schools that it's what you really want to do? A couple of my friends are applying to film school and are starting to put together portfolios - get something shot and cut, even if it's only 30 seconds long! You're also lucky enough to be living in one of the BBC's drama centres - why not try and get some relevant work experience as a production assistant, runner or departmental trainee?

That sounds excellent, Nick. As I've mentioned on a previous thread upon the subject of "Mockumentary", the writing process, is alike nothing I've happened to do before. From what i've read, the script should be loose, presenting mere bones for the actors to source from. I'd assumed as much, be it the interviews are effectively able to reer in numerous directions that could make any following void.

Originally, when the study was first conducted in 1993, they rented an office block filled it with a combination of actors and professionals and then played out an average day in the bank. The writer of the piece (a journalist with the FT) was set up in a room nearby where he could find out what was going on through out the day and whenever he saw fit he could make calls to the various players at the bank and state what was going on in the outside world. So he represented the Bank of England, Deutsche Bank, the Treasury...etc. Therefore rather than having a script to go by all the people in the bank just reacted to what they were told was going on around them. That's probably the route I'd like to go down, with a little more structure.

I'm also looking for some sort of film/cinema club in London if you know of one.

I've been trying to set something up recently but I haven't had very much progress. It's tricky but if I get any where I'll let you know. I don't know of any good film clubs in London, they tend to be specific to organisations rather than open to the public.
oh, Nick, I make love AND T-shirts ; )

How very dare you?

I'm debating doing a film degree in uni when I finish A Levels but because I'm not taking Media or anything like that I'm wondering how difficult it'll be to get in...

Shouldn't be. You're doing Theatre Studies which is perceived to be a more serious subject than Media Studies anyway, so I think it shouldn't count against you. I know people who are studying film at Uni who didn't do Media studies. My school didn't even offer media studies as an option and people still got into Film at good Unis. I think English is probably a more valubale subject (I don't remember if you're doing it or not...).

Nick, that sounds like a cool idea.

Papertwin, how many people are in your production company?

Danjama, I look forward to seeing your first short. I'm an advocate of taking small steps. I think your first short should be really short.

At the core, three. (The core meaning will be there for EVERY shoot, every scouting session, every meeting)

However, we have crew database of around 30-50, logged with their craft, locations, whether they can drive, equipment etc.

We also have a similar book of locations...

Prepared, i know. :blush:

I took media at A-Level. I did nothing in it to help my portfolio. I'm currently taking a year out, working and working on my portfolio for film school. So no need to worry about not doing any A-Levels relating to Film.

If you haven't done media or film studies, and haven't made any films, how are you going to prove to film schools that it's what you really want to do? A couple of my friends are applying to film school and are starting to put together portfolios - get something shot and cut, even if it's only 30 seconds long! You're also lucky enough to be living in one of the BBC's drama centres - why not try and get some relevant work experience as a production assistant, runner or departmental trainee?

I have another year before I start sorting out university stuff in school, so I'm hoping to have several shorts done by then. The work experience idea is quite good, if I do look into, it'll be after my first modular A Level exams which are in January.

Whenever you guys get a chance, you all should come and visit up at my place in the country. You might know it, Balmoral?? :) Couldn't resist. ;)

Collab project for the Brits: everyone send in a video of themselves trying to speak with an American accent and then we'll put it together in a montage.

Maybe then the yanks can do one with their English accents :P

Collab project for the Brits: everyone send in a video of themselves trying to speak with an American accent and then we'll put it together in a montage.

I can actually do an American accent fairly well ;)
I need to do one for a play in A Level Drama (Death of a Salesman, which I adore ;D)

Likely story, Dreadella.

Myself, Mr.Clapper and Chilipie will not be the source of your Sunday Jollies. Nice try, Dready. Nice Try.

:cool:

Back