BoxOfficeBrands.com What do you think?

Got an email today from BoxOfficeBrands.com In the email it said "Are you seeking funding for your production? Would you like to increase the realism of the characters in your film? Are you looking for the perfect band to create or add to the soundtrack for your project?"

I guess they mean they help direct to you companies that want product placement and pay you.
I was going to join but they asked for my PayPal account (!) and for me to upload a W-9 form (?), so I passed.
I know that they guy who produced "Supersize Me" had his latest effort "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" funded 100% from advertisers, but he already has a name for himself. How much money does product placement get an indie film anyway?

They say this is how much it costs to join....
TV producers, filmmakers, web producers, game developers, mobile application developers and other creative types seeking sponsorship opportunities join for free.

Marketers, brands, musicians and companies wishing to profile their products, services or music for product placement or brand integration opportunities choose between a monthly fee of $19.99 with no long-term commitment required or an annual fee of $59. These are special, limited time prices.

Not much.

What advertisers are looking for is exposure; Coke or Pepsi wants
James Bond to pick up a can, take a drink, utter a satisfying sigh
and then use the can to disarm the bad guy.

I admire what Box Office Brands are trying to do. For a fee they
are a middle man - connecting potential advertisers with
producers. And it’s the advertiser who pays. It could save some
time for an indie producer. The downside is they will only search
advertisers who have already paid them a fee - limiting a
producers choices.

I suspect very few advertisers will be willing to pay much to a
producer of an independently produced film that doesn’t have
distribution. However, their may be a small independent company
or two that might consider putting up a hundred bucks or so.

Not much.

What advertisers are looking for is exposure; Coke or Pepsi wants
James Bond to pick up a can, take a drink, utter a satisfying sigh
and then use the can to disarm the bad guy.

I admire what Box Office Brands are trying to do. For a fee they
are a middle man - connecting potential advertisers with
producers. And it’s the advertiser who pays. It could save some
time for an indie producer. The downside is they will only search
advertisers who have already paid them a fee - limiting a
producers choices.

I suspect very few advertisers will be willing to pay much to a
producer of an independently produced film that doesn’t have
distribution. However, their may be a small independent company
or two that might consider putting up a hundred bucks or so.

Everytime I see this ad placement, I think of "Return Of The Killer Tomatoes" with the parody of said ad placement!:lol:

On a more serious note, it certainly is intriguing, but you make good points to ponder!

The downside is they will only search advertisers who have already paid them a fee - limiting a producers choices.
I don't think the owners of this website are gonna make much of any money. They'd do better using the same business model that everyone else uses: Offer their service for free for a few years, then if and when the site becomes popular, start charging a fee.

Hello Blade,
I have funded several indie projects in Mexico and Texas and I have never been able to get substantial money from "product placement"; and I was using well known talent (in the Mexican productions); I had one product placement company tell me that they only dealt with high profile films and even then they only paid a couple of thousand dollars (believe it or not). What I did have success in with these product placement companies is in getting product for free if your film is reasonably commercial and especially if it targets an under-served market.
My advice to indie film makers is to stick to the old tried and true methods (asking local businesses and individuals for money and giving them a "special thanks to" credit in the film). They do work, it's just a matter of being persistent.
Claudia

Last edited:
Back