Boom Pole Stand

sfoster

Staff Member
I ordered a microphone stand and it's not quite as robust as I was hoping.

Is there some type of c-stand attachment for a normal boom pole, or a dedicated stand or something I can use?

I'm filming a scene which requires a fully extended pole to be held in place for like 3 hours straight. It's exhausting and prone to error..

So does anyone know of a boom pole holder stand :)

When you say "for like 3 hours straight" do you mean the take is three hours long?
Or do you mean the scene will take three hours to shoot? All boom operators can
work for three hours holding the boom. On pro shoots the days are typically 12 hours
and they manage to hold it for each take all day long. It's not easy. But it's much
better than simply hanging a mic above the actors and hopping you pick up clean
dialogue tracks.

Yes. There are mic stand extensions.

Rik I followed your link and got this specification:
Boom arm length: from 18.11 to 30.315"

Unfortunately this is not even 1/4 of the length I need.
2.5 feet is nothing.

That's great for him that a pro boom guy with a graphite pole can hold it for 3 hours but it's not the equipment I'm working with and I ended up holding the boom myself after a long day of moving generators, setting up, etc and with my heavy pole extended fully it's not practical.

This is a free youtube project I'm certainly not going to pay someone hundreds of dollars an hour to hold a microphone lol.

We're filming a scripted game of skill.

So I need the actors to just keep trying and trying in one long take. Then I will edit out every time they mess up, etc. And make it look like this game of skill played out the way it is on the script.

I'll build some sort of custom holder for my boom pole if i have to but this has got to exist already ??

OK, I am assuming you have a boom pole, just don't want to hold it for hours. You also seem to have a c-stand with sand bags right? ok..

You need a grip head (bunch of dif ones from ebay ) Try to get a good one, matthews, avenger, American.

Next you can buy a boom pole holder from like filmtools or something or go to wal-mart and get a fishing rod holder I have 2 of these in my kit. You put the frip head on the c-stand, the rod older in the grip head, the boom pole in the rod holder, bag the legs and adjust your height etc.

OK, I am assuming you have a boom pole, just don't want to hold it for hours. You also seem to have a c-stand with sand bags right? ok..

You need a grip head (bunch of dif ones from ebay ) Try to get a good one, matthews, avenger, American.

Next you can buy a boom pole holder from like filmtools or something or go to wal-mart and get a fishing rod holder I have 2 of these in my kit. You put the frip head on the c-stand, the rod older in the grip head, the boom pole in the rod holder, bag the legs and adjust your height etc.

Sweet! thanks!

Rik I followed your link and got this specification:
Boom arm length: from 18.11 to 30.315"

Unfortunately this is not even 1/4 of the length I need.
2.5 feet is nothing.
Sorry for the unhelpful link. You didn't mention that 2.5 feet isn't
what you needed. I would have done a different search if I had known
exactly the length you needed.

Sorry for the unhelpful link. You didn't mention that 2.5 feet isn't
what you needed. I would have done a different search if I had known
exactly the length you needed.

I said "I'm filming a scene which requires a fully extended pole" maybe that wasn't clear enough. I didn't realize they would make anything like a boom pole that short.

No need to apologize rik I appreciate your attempt to help me out with the problem.

Just what i needed.
Thank you!

1244756820000_277231.jpg

Back