• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Blender adds Camera Tracking!

:O I wonder if that data can be brought into After Effects?

Yup. There are a few free scripts out there that send camera data from Blender to AE and AE to Blender.

I just can't remember what it's called of the tip of my head haha.

The camera tracker offered by the foundry is killer though, and you can get a liscense for it for a few bucks a day. If you're a casual user and you only need it a few times a year it's a great way to go.

I really wish that Blender had a different interface. The right-click-to-select option totally screws with my graphics tablet, and I can't use 3D modeling programs with a mouse/trackball.

Blender would be an awesome tool if they would just make their UI sane.

There, under File > Preferences... Upper left hand corner. You'll have to make a couple of changes for rotate and repositioning the screen within the window... but hey, it works.

Screen shot 2011-11-29 at 11.25.58 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I'll have to look at it again. So far, the only interface I've actually liked is Lightwave's, so the closer I can get Blender to that behavior, the better.

And Blender is getting a modern renderer, too. That's nice. :)

and check out creative cow's "blender survival guide".. it'll get you past the interface and right into actually making something with it so the rest can come together in its own time.

How hard is it to learn the basics?

Some people love it, some people just can't get the hang of it. I'm in the second group. That's probably just a failing with my brain because I had issues with Maya and 3DS as well. Lightwave is what finally got my brain understanding the basics of 3D modeling and I would probably have a much easier time with other programs now.

Back