BlackMagic Lenses

Hi,

I've never really had any experience with lenses before, but done some basic research about them so I could get a better insight. Right now, I'm on about a £600 budget. I'm shooting a documentary about my city (Glasgow), so need some decent lenses.

I thought about these?

http://www.parkcameras.com/25430/Sigma-19mm-f-2-8-DN-Black-Micro-Four-Thirds.html
http://www.parkcameras.com/16616/Olympus-M--Zuiko-Digital-ED-40-150mm-f-4-5-6-R---Black.html

They seem affordable and decent?

Thanks!

I have both lenses and have used both for video. The 19mm is an excellent performer on a budget and I highly recommend it. However, the 40-150mm is very slow and you'll find it hard to properly expose your images unless you light it. For this reason alone I don't recommend the 40-150 for video, although I do think it is an excellent mid-range zoom for photography! I'd pick up the Sigma 19mm, the Sigma 30mm, and a Panasonic 14mm.

I've used a Sigma Prime on a Canon before and was pretty disappointed. Super soft.

Go Rokinon/Samyang/Bower. There are a couple that are MFT mount, but you can get the Cine versions in EF and adapt it for an extra $20. EF is a pretty popular mount these days so it's more future proof, totally manual lenses that adapt easy to MFT, and it's super inexpensive and beautiful glass. No need for autofocus and manual aperture control will be easier anyway.

I have both lenses and have used both for video. The 19mm is an excellent performer on a budget and I highly recommend it. However, the 40-150mm is very slow and you'll find it hard to properly expose your images unless you light it. For this reason alone I don't recommend the 40-150 for video, although I do think it is an excellent mid-range zoom for photography! I'd pick up the Sigma 19mm, the Sigma 30mm, and a Panasonic 14mm.

Thanks, those look like really good lenses. Might go for the 19mm.

I've used a Sigma Prime on a Canon before and was pretty disappointed. Super soft.

Go Rokinon/Samyang/Bower. There are a couple that are MFT mount, but you can get the Cine versions in EF and adapt it for an extra $20. EF is a pretty popular mount these days so it's more future proof, totally manual lenses that adapt easy to MFT, and it's super inexpensive and beautiful glass. No need for autofocus and manual aperture control will be easier anyway.

Thanks, just had a look into EF lenses and they do seem to have more advantages. I guess I'll just buy an adapter.

I came across this one : Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fish-eye

Looks pretty decent, but there's loads to choose from!

Yeah, they're all great. The fisheye has it's place for sure, but on the wide end I'd stick with the 14mm. It has just enough distortion to give the shot character but not enough to be out of place.

The Panasonic 14mm is much smaller, lighter, and cheaper! It is a very sharp lens. Its not manual focus. I guess my question for you is, which Blackmagic camera are you using? If you're using the Black Magic Cinema Camera, you cannot use any autofocus lenses which immediately disqualifies the Sigma lenses.

As for the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye, MFT mount has the Samyang 7.5 mm fisheye if you're into that. Its cheaper and smaller.

The Panasonic is only a little bit less expensive and you aren't using autofocus in video anyway. It'll only be compatible with a few other cameras in the future as well (Panasonic's EVIL line).

Rokinon/Samyang is a little more, but the cine version has geared teeth and the EF mount will work natively with other Blackmagic cameras, Canon DSLR's, Canon C100/300/500 and more, plus it's cheap and easy to adapt to Sony for the FS100, FS700 etc. Since it's full manual you don't have to worry about internal aperture control.

I own the Rokinon photo 14mm and I shoot with it more than any other lens. It's a beast.

The Panasonic is only a little bit less expensive and you aren't using autofocus in video anyway. It'll only be compatible with a few other cameras in the future as well (Panasonic's EVIL line).

Rokinon/Samyang is a little more, but the cine version has geared teeth and the EF mount will work natively with other Blackmagic cameras, Canon DSLR's, Canon C100/300/500 and more, plus it's cheap and easy to adapt to Sony for the FS100, FS700 etc. Since it's full manual you don't have to worry about internal aperture control.

I own the Rokinon photo 14mm and I shoot with it more than any other lens. It's a beast.

A little more? Its more than 2x the price! I got my 14mm for $150. Ebay prices are generally between $160 and $170. And when I said its not manual focus, I wasn't using that as a plus, just mentioning that it wouldn't work with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Believe me, I know most serious filmmakers don't use autofocus in video. Besides, the 14mm has a focus ring. I like the Rokinon cine primes when I've used them, but this guy has 600 pounds and I'm trying to advise him on the best bang for his buck.

Sorry man, didn't mean to light your fuse. People disagree on the internet.

I was going by B&H: Pansonic 14mm on B&H = $325

I got my Rokinon 14mm for $350, but market value is usually closer to $400:
Samyang 14mm at B&H - $379

I gave hom my advice, you gave him yours. What difference is it to you which way he goes? He's not spending your money. He wants to make an informed decision based on facts and opinions, both of us gave him both.

For what it's worth, I preordered a Blackmagic Pocket Camera during NAB. In addition to the two Rokinon lenses I already own I'll be flushing out the set with their other primes as well. I'm following my own advice.

One last thing that's always been solid advice for consumer cameras: Always go with a glass company for a cheap camera. Anyone can make electronics, but few companies focus on the lens. That's why buying a nikon or canon point and shoot makes more sense than a sony or panasonic. Same logic applies here, you can buy a lens from a company that only makes quality glass, or you can buy one that mostly makes electronics, they just make glass because they have to because there aren't a lot of lens options for their mount.

Sorry man, didn't mean to light your fuse. People disagree on the internet.

I was going by B&H: Pansonic 14mm on B&H = $325

I got my Rokinon 14mm for $350, but market value is usually closer to $400:
Samyang 14mm at B&H - $379

I gave hom my advice, you gave him yours. What difference is it to you which way he goes? He's not spending your money. He wants to make an informed decision based on facts and opinions, both of us gave him both.

For what it's worth, I preordered a Blackmagic Pocket Camera during NAB. In addition to the two Rokinon lenses I already own I'll be flushing out the set with their other primes as well. I'm following my own advice.

One last thing that's always been solid advice for consumer cameras: Always go with a glass company for a cheap camera. Anyone can make electronics, but few companies focus on the lens. That's why buying a nikon or canon point and shoot makes more sense than a sony or panasonic. Same logic applies here, you can buy a lens from a company that only makes quality glass, or you can buy one that mostly makes electronics, they just make glass because they have to because there aren't a lot of lens options for their mount.

I consider your advice completely valid. I wasn't attacking you, just presenting my suggestions in context. I'm sorry if my post seemed inflammatory, it was not my intention. As for the Rokinons, I think they're awesome lenses! And Panasonic has been putting out some great glass the last few years. Sony is definitely leaving much to be desired though. The m4/3 mount has a lot of support. Voigtlander and SLR magic are great glass manufacturers working with m4/3 (though they are out of the price range of the OP). Also, Panasonic and Olympus have great offerings as well. The Panasonic 20mm is hailed as a great lens! Also the PL 25mm f1.4. I mean I could go on. But I guess what you're talking about here is cheap glass/cameras. And I suppose everyone's upper end stuff is going to be competitive.

As you said, we both presented facts. And if he has a blackmagic cinema camera, my suggestions go out the window anyways. I guess I just thought of it more as a spirited debate! :lol: No hard feelings.

Me, I plan to the existing GH2 lenses I have on my BMPCC camera. Once I start seeing other peoples results with various S16 and other lenses, Ill make my purchase decisions.

Same, except I ordered a cheap Russian Cine lens that should cover super16. Since its cheap, it won't break the bank and if it doesn't cover, oh well.

what lens was that ^^?

"VEGA-7-1" which is a 20mm lens. Do an ebay search on it. I'm told it should cover. There's a wider 12.5mm lens, however, I don't think it will cover Super 16. Also its in a very strange proprietary Russian mount- m32. Its a screw mount with a 32mm thread. If I get a solution worked out I'll let you know, but I have a good idea of what to do to get it mounted.

Back