Blackmagic Deisgn 2.5K Raw S16 -- for 2,999.99 - July

I'm calculating what is necessary to get this camera and start to work.

- Blackmagic: $2,995.00
- OCZ - 240GB Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD: $199.00
- Lens: I got a mint Minolta 50mm 1.4, supposing I'll use it, need an adapter MD to EOS-EF mount: $39.89 on amazon.
- Extra battery: can't find it for sale. Let's imagine $200.

Total: $3.434

Forgetting something?

Personally I can't stand that lens. I've used it before and it's relatively ugly. Don't et me wrong, it works, but if you're buying new there are WAAAYY better options.

Go Rokinon, Bower, Samyang, Pro-Optic, Vivitar or Wallimex. It's all the same lenses, just branded different. Stellar quality for the price, no auto focus or auto iris but you won't be using that anyway. The 85mm is only $279!!

With fast drives I'm not talking about processorspeed, but bandwidth.
A 5D mkII outputs files that are 25-50Mb/s. That's easy playback over usb2.0 with a 7200rpm harddrive.
(Please note: 8Mb = 1MB)

The read and write speed of a harddisk are limited by the connection (FW400, USB2, FW800, eSATA, USB3, Thunderbolt) and write/readspeed of the disk itself. A single disk with 7200 is often limited at 60- 80Mb/s.
You'll need a RAIDconfiguration with at least 2, but maybe 4 disks to properly playback this RAW-footage.

Or a number of SSD-bays with eSATA/USB3 to edit from the SSD itself.

Last edited:
It's definitely a great until for $3000 but I don't consider it very practical for the field. All this has been debated before but nobody will argue when you say it seems to produce great images. I wouldn't mind using one.

That's an interesting thought. I think this comes up with every new camera that's not a shoulder mount format or traditional. Honestly, it Doesn't look any less practical for the field than a DSLR or an EPIC (which is an ergonomic nightmare). Just looks Another camera starving for aftermarket transformation.

Between Hot Rod Cameras and ViewFactor, the latter of which already has a pretty sick lookin' piece for the camera, looks like it'll fit right in.

If anyone's interested, here's the cage I'm probably going to get: http://www.viewfactor.net/new-releases/contineo-bmc.html

http://www.viewfactor.net/blog/?p=71

Last edited:
Ok I want this camera. I don't have the money..hmm..
Is anyone wiiling to offer me this camera? :yes::yes::yes:

Are you from Portugal? How are the importing taxes there?
Brazil is still asking 60% for equipments which do not produce. So painful. It is cheaper to travel to another country, stay there some days, and come back with your product than pay for the tax. Unbelievable.

But I want this camera too, lol.

Last edited:
Are you from Portugal? How are the importing taxes there?
Brazil is still asking 60% for equipments which do not produce. So painful. It is cheaper to travel to another country, stay there some days, and come back with your product than pay for the tax. Unbelievable.

But I want this camera too, lol.

Yes I'm from Portugal, how did you know??
Não sei exactamente como são as taxas sobre produtos importados dos estados unidos, mas penso que não andam longe dos 13%. Não é muito animador, para além de ganharmos menos que os americanos ainda temos que pagar mais pelos produtos.... a vida não é justa! LOL!
Um abraço para o Brasil!

Translation to non-portuguese speakers: I think the tax here is 13%. Not fair, we earn less and we still have to pay a tax over the products we want to buy. Life's not fair! LOL
Hugs to Brasil

Yes I'm from Portugal, how did you know??
Não sei exactamente como são as taxas sobre produtos importados dos estados unidos, mas penso que não andam longe dos 13%. Não é muito animador, para além de ganharmos menos que os americanos ainda temos que pagar mais pelos produtos.... a vida não é justa! LOL!
Um abraço para o Brasil!

There is a "Pt" on your profile. :lol:

In Brazil, besides paying the highest taxes, we still can not make bank lending since the 2008 financial crisis.
Hard life. But for us who take the filmmaking as a dream, no obstacle will be stronger.

Go ahead Portugal!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back