• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Black.Ops and Project: Dead End

hello!
Im Kraven. im the founder of Black.Ops indie Films.
i joined the forum looking to show my projects to others.
this is the trailer to our first full project.
The story of three men who are forced to work together to survive a viral outbreak.
the episodes will be released every two weeks on youtube. please comment xD
ty all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wBmxVqKxM

Cool, access to actors aged for the part, a set designer and the trappings of a larger production team looks like it would make you dangerous. This trailer had lots of the things that I think are failings in younger indie films... but the camera and editing had a style to it that kept me from stopping the video.

Can't wait to see how the episodes turn out.

we plan to have the pilot episode out in two weeks.
@ knightly- Thx for the reply. the three main characters are actually written to be in their 20's. your right tho, with a budget we could go a lot bigger. we are working with the basics XP

here is the link to the proper place to view the trailer. the Project: DEAD END page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvtmH3Ne08

we will be showing the episodes from that link. spread the word. any zombie fans should love it. we also have over 30 years of martial arts exp going into the fight scenes. :D

Last edited:
Pretty cool looking.

Curious why you did the jib down shot in the beginning. Is there a reason for that? Was there a shot before that was above ground, and the camera pulled through the house or the ground to the basement? Just seems odd to have a jib shot in a room like that. Cool camera move, but not sure it's necessary.

Some of the color grading isn't matching up...are there several colorists on the project?

I think it's pretty good overall. Good luck with this.

I am Caleb Crowe, the Editor/Cinematographer for this project. Yes, the jib shot has it's purpose, and the color grading isn't supposed to be all the same, considering the fact that they are all from different scenes, shot in different environments. In every scenes, every shot looks the same as the others.

I am Caleb Crowe, the Editor/Cinematographer for this project. Yes, the jib shot has it's purpose, and the color grading isn't supposed to be all the same, considering the fact that they are all from different scenes, shot in different environments. In every scenes, every shot looks the same as the others.

What do you mean the grading is different because it's different environments? The point of grading is to make a uniform feel and tone of the film...every scene (unless specifically chosen to be different for good reason) should be the same grading, and the overall color correction should be similar, done on a shot by shot method (not a filter over your whole movie).

What is the purpose of the jib shot, that's kind of what I was asking? Did it just come down from the ceiling, or through the roof, or what?

What do you mean the grading is different because it's different environments? The point of grading is to make a uniform feel and tone of the film...every scene (unless specifically chosen to be different for good reason) should be the same grading, and the overall color correction should be similar, done on a shot by shot method (not a filter over your whole movie).

What is the purpose of the jib shot, that's kind of what I was asking? Did it just come down from the ceiling, or through the roof, or what?

the jib shot comes down from the title actually. like the name is on the wall there. eather way it was just a pretty shot lol
your right about the uniform feel. this was an early trailer not to mention our first film besides the original that was shot in first person.

Blarg

Also, we aren't that big, we don't have very many people helping us on this. Alot of support (And zombie volunteers) but no BIG help.

Btw bro, don't double post. . . . that being said, He is right. we don't really have a ton of help. Oh yeah, i mean we have a TON of help, but no real Professional help other than two or three of our crew. With that in mind, I believe we're doing pretty damn good for what we do have.

OH, BTW, I am the Lock from PROJECT DEAD END . . . . . SO HA! *points finger dramatically* Lawl, jkjk

-------SWAMP ZOMBEEE!!!!!---------

Last edited:
the jib shot comes down from the title actually. like the name is on the wall there. eather way it was just a pretty shot lol
your right about the uniform feel. this was an early trailer not to mention our first film besides the original that was shot in first person.

Don't get me wrong, you guys are doing a great job for a no-budget first film scenario. Kudos to you. I'm only trying to help out by asking questions you should be asking yourself--with an endgame of improving your final product.

Your jib shot comes down from a title? Off the ceiling? It just seems a bit odd. Usually jib shots aren't used for small room interior establishing shots, but you went there, and it does add a more interesting dynamic...so I'll just have to trust that your title-card jib shot is going to work. Right now it's a bit overkill and inappropriate. I'd use jib shots for exterior establishing or something groovy...don't blow your jib shot wad on a small room interior wide shot. Just my opinion.

I understand this is a workprint...but typically, you want your trailer to have the look and feel of the final product. Can you imagine if Hollywood films just threw out a trailer from the workprint before it was color corrected? I know this is your first film, and I know that you're excited to get your trailer out there...but sometimes you have to hold back and do it right...trust me, if you take your time and do it right, your trailer will yield more positive results, feedback, and attention.

Good luck. Keep up the hard work.

The Jib Shot was an establishing shot, and it looks incredible. Overkill?

This film doesn't have any major color grading in it, and the ones that are different are flashbacks. And it was all color corrected.

Also, we didn't even use a jib. We don't have access to those kinds of tools yet, with our budget being...tiny. I did that shot with my bare hands, and that makes it even better.

Plus, I'm only 15, and I'm doing all the filming and editing. And it looks great in my opinion, and to a lot of the people who have seen it.

And i didn't realize i could edit posts, that's why i posted two, Ryan. Get over it.

By the way, M1chae1, do you have any experience with these kinds of things? Because your occupation just says actor.

This reminds me of one of our own, Cameron Hensley, who Criticizes everything, yet he has no experience. (By the way i'm not saying you don't have any experience, but if you don't, don't say you do just to make it look like you know what you're talking about.)

Peace :)

Last edited:
Not so gracious with critique, man. Although, your self-personified critique is splendid i see.

Throwing your work to the wolves, expect it to be torn apart, but take comfort in the fact that you're in the best damn medical care there is, and you're getting it for free. Take it on the chin, you'll be a greater film-maker for it.

I've written my reply to that like 3 times, and it keeps deleting it. What is with this website?

As i was going to say, all of it was color corrected, there was hardly any grading, and the jib shot made perfect sense, and wasn't overkill or inappropriate in any way. Movies use Camera Cranes indoors all the time. I'm fine with criticism, like i would be fine if you criticized the music, or the audio, which should be criticized. If you are going to critique something, make it worth my time.

Last edited:
I'll interject and say that each member of your audience sees a different film based on their perceptions. Your vocal rejection of the critique of an audience member not only implies that you have the opinion that they aren't entitled to theirs, but have the potential to lose a future audience member.

We come to these boards for honest, sometimes painful, constructive criticism. The viewer thought the high angle looked out of place. Good shot or not, it's now part of a trailer, and within the context of that trailer, the shot needs to fit...

We understand getting the footage out there, but in an unfinished state, it'll look unfinished. Taking footage graded for scenes in the film and putting them together will cause them to lose the consistency that makes the color choices work in the context of the scenes you've pulled them from.

In the same light, taking a Cool title shot away from the titles it's meant to transition between means that it's now out of the transitional context it was meant to support and it needs to support the new context. This isn't a critique of the photography, but of editing choices - I think it's a cool shot and it didn't stand out as out of place to me, but I'll definitely stand up for the question as to why it's in the trailer edit - because the audience member doesn't need to agree with you... and you don't need to agree with them, but you do need to listen to them and weigh their critiques honestly.

Then, either change the subject of the critique or don't, but if it stood out, it took them out of the world you're trying to construct - and so may not belong in the piece... unless your intent is to make the audience aware of the artificial world you're creating.

Welcome to the world of filmmaking, you're quite advanced for 15, but the skin needs to thicken a bit - keep doing what you're doing because the results are good, but calm down, we're all trying to help.

I deleted the post because there were multiples of the same post. We try to keep the board as spic and span as possible ;)

The Jib Shot was an establishing shot, and it looks incredible. Overkill?

This film doesn't have any major color grading in it, and the ones that are different are flashbacks. And it was all color corrected.

Also, we didn't even use a jib. We don't have access to those kinds of tools yet, with our budget being...tiny. I did that shot with my bare hands, and that makes it even better.

Plus, I'm only 15, and I'm doing all the filming and editing. And it looks great in my opinion, and to a lot of the people who have seen it.

And i didn't realize i could edit posts, that's why i posted two, Ryan. Get over it.

By the way, M1chae1, do you have any experience with these kinds of things? Because your occupation just says actor.

This reminds me of one of our own, Cameron Hensley, who Criticizes everything, yet he has no experience. (By the way i'm not saying you don't have any experience, but if you don't, don't say you do just to make it look like you know what you're talking about.)

Peace :)

I have crewed on four features and many shorts (boom, grip, bounce, AD, you name it) which almost all have seen national distribution. Yes I have experience in crewing as well as acting. I also am capable of editing a film in FCP, using AE, and I'm also able to work in 3D programs like Maya and Max.

No need to get snippy man. I'm only voicing my opinions on what I see needs improvement. You're 15...your stuff does *not* look "great" to be quite honest, so stop busting my balls for critiquing your film. Don't assume I'm just a lowly actor with no visual style or understanding of the medium. For 15 this is a very advanced level you're at, but you're far from winning awards at Cannes here...so let's keep an open mind.

I don't cop an attitude unless someone does it first.

Now, let's chill out on the passive aggressive attitude here...you've posted your film on a community that shares and learns together...it might be helpful if you had that attitude. Thank you.

I don't think the jib shot indoors in a small room looked right...that's my opinion. It looks OK...but it's out of place. I'm only saying you should use jib *style* shots in key moments and with specific locations. Just my advice. Others may think differently.

And I saw different color grading/correction on different areas of the trailer--I thought I would mention that. I'm sorry if you're offended by my critique.

Telling me that my critique is 'not worth your time'...sheesh. That's just not nice. :) Would it be worth your time if I gushed all over your trailer and called you Big Poppa?

Anyway. Let's just be postive and friendly here, OK?

Last edited:
"By the way i'm not saying you don't have any experience..."

Maybe you should read ALL of the post before you say i'm assuming that you're a 'lowly actor' and then ASSUME i'm 'busting your balls.' I'm not making assumptions. And the way people state their opinions these days, makes it look offensive. like: "It looks OK...but it's out of place." It IS out of place. Is it? If it's your opinion, how about NOT writing it in a way that makes it look like you're trying to force your opinion into fact. I didn't "cop" an attitude, and i didn't comp an attitude. And no, i don't expect you to fall in love with it and call me "big poppa."

By the way, I didn't post it.

And Kraven posted it to get the word out.

Not necessarily for critics to feast on our work. And plus it's just the trailer.

And i'm not saying negative criticism isn't worth my time.

Anyway, yeah, let's keep it friendly. " :) "

Back