BLACK MAGIC WINS AGAIN

Blackmagic are certainly becoming quite the influential company!

That is definitely a lot cheaper than anything Red has to offer... a completely upgradeable camera with a wonderful built-in monitor?

Screw the 4K production cam, this thing looks like a beast! :lol:

That Cion looks nice ergonomically

The URSA is certainly an intriguing design, I'd want to test it in the field before committing to purchase but certainly looks some nice specs for the price

Is it just me or does a $6000 price tag seem ridiculously inexpensive for the URSA from Blackmagic.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

Unlike red, all you need is a lens and a battery and your off..

Edit: those Cfast 2.0 cards are expensive though, why didnt they just go SSD?

Maybe the SSDs aren't fast enough? CFast2.0 is rated at 600MB/s.. most SSDs are sitting around 500ish.

I'm more excited about Resolve 11, personally.. of course I JUST bought the 4k production camera, so there's no way I'll be thinking about another camera with a price tag more than a grand (for a b-cam) anytime in the foreseeable future.

It's not the age of your machine so much as the lack of a powerful video card.. but you can get a pcie expansion chassis and plop a powerful geforce card into it, and resolve should run just fine.

It's not the age of your machine so much as the lack of a powerful video card.. but you can get a pcie expansion chassis and plop a powerful geforce card into it, and resolve should run just fine.

for $3k it should run resolve right off the shelf :no:
first and last time i will ever buy something from apple

I'll look into the expansion chassis but it's probably not in my budget :(

for $3k it should run resolve right off the shelf :no:
first and last time i will ever buy something from apple

I'll look into the expansion chassis but it's probably not in my budget :(

What sort of laptop is it? My MBP is about a year old, only cost about $2k and has no issue running Resolve..

ITO the camera, I'm interested to see real footage from both this and the CION. As I understand it, they both use the same sensor as the production cam, so will be interesting to see how they hold up in the field. Personally I don't think any LCD screen can beat a VF.

The ergonomics if the CION look good but the ports being perpendicular to the camera is going to cause issues.

I like though that BM are obviously listening to the people who use their products.

What sort of laptop is it? My MBP is about a year old, only cost about $2k and has no issue running Resolve..

ITO the camera, I'm interested to see real footage from both this and the CION. As I understand it, they both use the same sensor as the production cam, so will be interesting to see how they hold up in the field. Personally I don't think any LCD screen can beat a VF.

The ergonomics if the CION look good but the ports being perpendicular to the camera is going to cause issues.

I like though that BM are obviously listening to the people who use their products.

macbook pro retina display, problem is it has a intel gpu

The Cion is a beautiful piece of design, though you are correct on the port angle.

Agreed on the vf comment, that massive LCD is great and all, but it's a little too much, imo.

Cion is conspicuously lacking an interchangeable lens mount, and the potentially replaceable sensor block and built in scopes make the ursa interesting as well.

Lots to like in theory, I'll be watching the Cion with particular interest though. I see a lot of aja gear in my bread and butter industrial work. Have no complaints over their durability.

Of course at this stage it's all conjecture until they're available in the field, but the strange placement of everything on the CION seems to render it almost useless for handheld, though it also seems to have been ergonomically designed as a handheld camera (a tad AATON-esque).

I at least hope the VF is adjustable outwards enough to prevent the operator mashing their head on the screen and buttons.

Of course at this stage it's all conjecture until they're available in the field, but the strange placement of everything on the CION seems to render it almost useless for handheld, though it also seems to have been ergonomically designed as a handheld camera (a tad AATON-esque).

I at least hope the VF is adjustable outwards enough to prevent the operator mashing their head on the screen and buttons.

That was the first thing I said too. Talking to the BM rep he said they expect that for handheld you'd close the screen and use an electronic viewfinder. It does replicate the basic controls on the back of the big display, so it can be run closed (at first I thought all the controls were inside under the screen).

That was the first thing I said too. Talking to the BM rep he said they expect that for handheld you'd close the screen and use an electronic viewfinder. It does replicate the basic controls on the back of the big display, so it can be run closed (at first I thought all the controls were inside under the screen).

I did mean for AJA's CION, though the URSA presents similar issues for handheld.

Again mashing your face against buttons can be a potential issue.

Maybe it's cheaper to make cameras that require multiple expensive third party add-ons to get a camera working handheld, but it sure is odd to develop a camera that's suited only for one style of shooting.

I also wonder how well the duplication of buttons works - what exactly does each person see? What happens if two people press the same button at the same time? What happens if two people are attempting to adjust the same setting at the same time? What sort of OSD do you get? Etc.

Certainly an interesting design but I wonder how it will go in the field. I guess only time will tell

Looks promising.
Although it looks like a heavy machine with a lot of ventilation openings (dust/moist/Luke's torpedo???).

I guess the best part is that we will all leave the rolling shutter era behind within a few years from now :)

Back