Black Magic Pocket Camera Review: vs Canon 5D3 and Red Epic

i find it hard to get honest opinions from people like dave, he doesnt inspire me as someone who knows what it takes to recognise a cameras abilities properly, maybe its his lack of flair, although im not discrediting his videos they just to me are unappealing.

the black magic is aswesome though, just wait in 2 years time what theyl have next.... (drool)

plus the 4k camera with global shutter.. (i think) is just insane at only £2,500

Careful on the cards Wheat! I've had mine a few days, it drops frames after a few seconds using the PNY on the official Blackmagic approved card list. Been in their forums, apparently some others have had the same problem. The Sandisks are supposed to do ok. I have some new cards coming in, I'll let you know!

I have 2 of the sandisk 64gig extreme pro. No issues so far. Unboxed the camera a few hours ago. It's raining out, and not much to shoot in my small apartment. Looking forward to a day off next week to go out and shoot some stuff.

changed my mind on camera purchase right now.

Keeping my gh2 for another year. See what comes out next. Spending the money I saved for a new cam on other items.
New lens just bought a canon fl 19mm f3.5 for $200. BEAUTIFUL lens, no barrel and very sharp! Very nice on the GH2.
Matte box and shades. (Iv missed this on many occasions)
Replace a few of the cheap light stands with c-stands.
DIY a large butterfly. Iv missed having one on every shoot so far!
Getting my audio recorder fixed

changed my mind on camera purchase right now.

Keeping my gh2 for another year. See what comes out next. Spending the money I saved for a new cam on other items.
New lens just bought a canon fl 19mm f3.5 for $200. BEAUTIFUL lens, no barrel and very sharp! Very nice on the GH2.
Matte box and shades. (Iv missed this on many occasions)
Replace a few of the cheap light stands with c-stands.
DIY a large butterfly. Iv missed having one on every shoot so far!
Getting my audio recorder fixed
Fair enough. Glad you like the new lens. That new lens buzz is great (well, when it's a good lens anyway), exploring what it can do - seeing the results. Great buzz.

I would love a BMPC but my color correction skills are far from good and that scares me away.

Last edited:
I would love a BMPC but my color correction skills are far from good and that scares me away.

It occured to me today that I need to get off my "indie high horse" and hire a colorist to either do it for me or walk me through DaVinci. Anybody know a starving colorist in the SF Bay Area who could use a few bucks? :)

Indeed a great thread, thanks. I was wondering what was the decision factor on the BMPC vs BMDCC?
Only reason I ask is because I have been hearing a lot of great things about these cams and I am about to pull the trigger I am familiar with BM for some years now after using Intensity Pro cards and shuttles. I have to say that I've been pleased with there products. I can only imagine what fun it would be to learn this cam and get the most out of it. Thanks again.

Indeed a great thread, thanks. I was wondering what was the decision factor on the BMPC vs BMDCC?
Only reason I ask is because I have been hearing a lot of great things about these cams and I am about to pull the trigger I am familiar with BM for some years now after using Intensity Pro cards and shuttles. I have to say that I've been pleased with there products. I can only imagine what fun it would be to learn this cam and get the most out of it. Thanks again.

I've only really got hands-on experience with the BMCC (though I've held the Pocket in my hands).

They're strange cameras. Blackmagic have always made boxes which are meant to sit on a desk or in a rack for years.
The cameras are not too different. They feel as if they've been designed and manufactured in a similar way, even though the rigors of field production are 100% different to that of post-production in a nice air-conditioned studio.

That said, the image out of them is nice. They're difficult to work with, I hate their menu system, I think the ergonomics are even worse than that of a DSLR.

But, the images are nice - and at the end of the day, at least for the DP, that's what should have most importance.

Of course things like workflow, handling etc. are all also important - you're going to need some sort of rig, even a top handle at the very least.

But I certainly wouldn't balk at HD images with (potentially) 16mm glass in ProRes, DNxHD or raw, all for $1k.

I've only really got hands-on experience with the BMCC (though I've held the Pocket in my hands).

They're strange cameras. Blackmagic have always made boxes which are meant to sit on a desk or in a rack for years.
The cameras are not too different. They feel as if they've been designed and manufactured in a similar way, even though the rigors of field production are 100% different to that of post-production in a nice air-conditioned studio.

That said, the image out of them is nice. They're difficult to work with, I hate their menu system, I think the ergonomics are even worse than that of a DSLR.

But, the images are nice - and at the end of the day, at least for the DP, that's what should have most importance.

Of course things like workflow, handling etc. are all also important - you're going to need some sort of rig, even a top handle at the very least.

But I certainly wouldn't balk at HD images with (potentially) 16mm glass in ProRes, DNxHD or raw, all for $1k.

Thank you, this does bring some perspective to my choice.

Back