• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Birds eye camera view straight down from roof to floor

Does anyone know if a camera crane would allow me to move a camera from near the roof straight down to near the floor. I need it to go straight down. If a camera crane will not work, does anyone know an option to do this as stable as possible? I am not sure if doing it by hand would be stable enough.

If you want to go on a platform and look over with a shoulder stabilizer then be careful. But a camera crane is normally 360 and rotates directly down. Or, you can use a drone and set the camera pointing down.

Does anyone know if a camera crane would allow me to move a camera from near the roof straight down to near the floor. I need it to go straight down. If a camera crane will not work, does anyone know an option to do this as stable as possible? I am not sure if doing it by hand would be stable enough.
Yes, there are camera cranes that will allow you to get this shot.
Contact JibTek in Las Vegas. They have everything.

The drone thing may work as long as there are no papers in the background. Kind of needed to get closer to the floor but maybe I can do that part by hand somehow. Would it be easy to merge the last 4" or so of footage going all the way to the floor with the footage from the drone without it looking like the camera blinked?

I'll ask my daughter and girlfriend if I can use her stripper pole, speaking of which, I can probably use my own for the last 4" if I go the drone route.

Last edited:
The camera will point straight down and move up. but it won't be in a 100% straight line with your typical crane.

Imagine this blue/purple line is your camera crane.

6895000.png

You can see at the higher angle it is a little further back.

The camera will point straight down and move up. but it won't be in a 100% straight line with your typical crane.
Very true. So it's best not to use your typical crane. Something like this:
jib-armfull.jpg

would work.

This one could certainly get a shot near the roof and straight down to the floor.
nano-jib.jpg

Back