• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best way to sell a script?

To all writers out there I am possibly the one writer here who has actually sold a script. So, I am the one who knows what I'm talking about.

I'm giving you the honest truth about the industry. I'm also one of the few who has had an agent for a while too.

My advice comes from the POV as an insider. These guys are advising you as outsiders. So, my information is valid.

Last edited:
To quote a Hollywood producer, "It doesn't matter how well written your script is or how original it is, studio executives are only interested in how much money the writer and material has made before." That sounds like a pre-exiting fan base to me.

Do you know what happened when I sent a query letter to Larry Kasanov?

One of his aides called me asking if I'm in the WGA, what have I written that they have heard of before?

They never asked to see the script.

My friend who is a Hollywood producer told me Larry is hard up for money now, since Mortal Kombat 2 was a flop. But, that's the way they think.

They are NOT interested in new scripts. They want money machines.

The people who will buy your scripts are those who can't afford to pay more than $50 to maybe a few hundred dollars because they are as unknown as you are.

Russflex, hope this helps...

Best way to sell a script? Got to be great!

What is a great script? One man's art is another man's trash, (I have read a lot of trash out there and/or seen some trashy scripts make it to the screen -- haven't we all been there?). Someone, somewhere thought it would make money.

Personally, (my cheap words of advice) first, give out only polished scripts -- write and rewrite, rewrite and polish. Some readers may like. Some not so much. Then start all over again. Sounds like work? It is (still rewriting DEATH WALKS BEHIND YOU).

So take the perspective of "was it fun to write"? Please note, that if it is fun for you to write, it will show. Maybe.

My example. I give my work to others to read. Mixed results. 90% of those readers do NOT know me, (I network as much as possible these days). So little to no bias. In the past, as an example -- some readers did not like the lack of 'and' or some specific style of polished presentation (so I rewrite with 'and' while changing the questionable 'style' -- do not be stubborn beyond wise)... most important for me as a 'writer' -- did they like the story? The characters? The plot points? The distinct 3 acts? Dialogue? Arcs? Etc.?

Key questions are -- Would the reader pay to see this movie? Is it a specific actor's vehicle? Who should play X part? Who could bank roll it?

To date, no one has been smart (or insane) enough to want to greenlight one of my scripts, (I have no rich friends or family, no foot in anyone's door). So I keep writing (as I have since 1970 -- it is FUN for me to write). As long as there are those that want to read my attempts at scriptwriting, I will keep putting out (after copyrighting) scripts for others to read. Maybe, before I die of old age, one will get bankrolled. Maybe an avalanche will ensue and I can die with a smile on my face, "that I wasn't a total waste of blood and flesh".

So. Bottom line.

Is it fun to write for you? If it is not, maybe you should do something else? If it is fun, keep writing. There are worse things you can do with your life.

IF. You think OF writing just as an easy route to big money and major name making success any time your pencil hits paper or finger touches keyboard... (if you are right -- shoot me, because I am NOT rich or famous).

So, selling a script? Try to have fun while writing quality stories. Keep plugging away... do not quit no matter how many bad things are thrown your way. Or negative comments. Or mean spirited rumors. Hey, maybe add them to your story? (my 2 cents)

To all writers out there I am possibly the one writer here who has actually sold a script. So, I am the one who knows what I'm talking about.

I'm giving you the honest truth about the industry. I'm also one of the few who has had an agent for a while too.

My advice comes from the POV as an insider. These guys are advising you as outsiders. So, my information is valid.

How did you go from outsider to insider?

I'm also one of the few who has had an agent for a while too.

I've been repped for about 10 years now as well. I think a lot of what's being said here is correct on both sides, it's just talking at cross-purposes a bit.

MDM is right on when discussing non-spec writing gigs. Producers definitely go for the known quantities on those because the writers have a track record. And, let's face it, those are the coveted gigs. Who wouldn't want to be paid in advance to write a script that you don't have to shop around, and which pays the same whether the script is shot or not?! :yes:

And, yes, those writers also have a way better chance at getting a spec optioned as well, should they decide to go that direction.

Directorik is right on as well that good material is always in demand, regardless who the writer is. The trick is getting it into their hands. I'm basically a nobody, but since I'm repped my stuff has gone to the biggest production companies in town -- I'm talking Spielberg's, James Cameron's, Ridley & Tony Scott's, the Harry Potter producers, etc. I've even taken meetings at the first two of those. Again, let me emphasize, I'm a NOBODY! Produced, yes, but only by my own hand.

MDM is right on when discussing non-spec writing gigs.

If I missed the point of this discussion then I apologize. Are we
talking about getting hired to write a script? I was under the
impression we are talking about writing on spec - selling a script
that is already written - and that no “Hollywood” producer will
take a chance on a writer without previous credits or a “fan base”.

In order to get hired to write a script - especially one based on
preexisting material - a writer must have track record. There are
a few exceptions (Brian Helgeland) but they are very rare.

Is that what we’re talking about here?

Another true life story that happened to me. An agency was deliberately avoiding me, until I mentioned the agency to a friend of mine who is a Hoolywood producer when I was in Los Angeles. Apparently, my friend called the talent and literary agency because an agent from the agency found me and told me face to face that the producers and production companies there have a list of writers they will work with that they know are bankable and for what genre. The agent was nervous as he told me this too.

So, it's obvious they are not looking for material from unknowns.

When you do get an agent, most of the time you have to do more work than your agent to promote yourself. Your agent will only put their stamp on your work.

Remember, a big studio can call one of the big 3 talent agencies at any time they choose to get an Academy Award winning writer to cut a script for them. This makes the task of unknown writers to get a break all the more difficult.

Just to add to what MDM is saying. When I worked in entertainment management. A resume with work experience was always sent with the script submitted to a producer/company. It mattered what a writer did before almost more than the script itself. Most of the money making movies today are based off comic, novels or TV shows; Hunger Games, Twilight, Dark Knight, 21 Jump Street… You can see why it's so hard to pitch original ideas. However, don't be discouraged. 8-) Best of luck,
Another true life story that happened to me. An agency was deliberately avoiding me, until I mentioned the agency to a friend of mine who is a Hoolywood producer when I was in Los Angeles. Apparently, my friend called the talent and literary agency because an agent from the agency found me and told me face to face that the producers and production companies there have a list of writers they will work with that they know are bankable and for what genre. The agent was nervous as he told me this too.

So, it's obvious they are not looking for material from unknowns.

When you do get an agent, most of the time you have to do more work than your agent to promote yourself. Your agent will only put their stamp on your work.

Remember, a big studio can call one of the big 3 talent agencies at any time they choose to get an Academy Award winning writer to cut a script for them. This makes the task of unknown writers to get a break all the more difficult.

Dollars and Cents. That's what they look at. That's the bottom line. That's the track record. That's the fan base. How much of the public have spent their hard earned cash to go to a movie by this writer, bought DVDs, watched their stuff on cable TV, bought VODs, and so on.

I saw an Internet interview with Josh Friedman, Executive Producer of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Josh said he had to present VOD sales, YouTube Views, Nelson Ratings, and all data he could gather to convince the studio executives at Fox Entertainment to give Terminator a shot at Season 2. Without the viewing data, the studio execs would not give Terminator a shot at Season 2.

That is part of the proof of fan base.

I feel like the "Golden Age" of the Original Screenplay (written for the Screen) was in the 1970's and 1980's with blockbuster films like; Star Wars, Rocky, Terminator, Raiders of the Lost Ark... Today, even an established director probably has to fight to get an original idea a big budget. It seems like writers today have to start at the bottom and get whatever they can produced. Just my guess.

I feel like the "Golden Age" of the Original Screenplay (written for the Screen) was in the 1970's and 1980's with blockbuster films like; Star Wars, Rocky, Terminator, Raiders of the Lost Ark... Today, even an established director probably has to fight to get an original idea a big budget. It seems like writers today have to start at the bottom and get whatever they can produced. Just my guess.

Yep. Typical feature costs more than 100 million to make, so to manage risk, studios love to stick to an established brand/pre existing material. Risk aversion.

No body even knew of M.Night when he sold "Sixth Sense " to Disney for 2 million. But if you want to also direct it, then studio's check your track record, fanbase.

And, no one knew Len Weisman before UNDERWORLD.

My friend in Hollywood said Len's family paid a good chuck of the budget to get the first Underworld made. He comes from a very wealthy family. Money talks.

I'm sure there's a story to M. Night if you dig deep enough.

His parents were BOTH doctors so they probably weren't poor! Here's the imdbpro BIO…

Biography
Born in India but raised in the posh suburban Penn Valley area of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, M. Night Shyamalan is the son of two doctors. His passion for filmmaking began when he was given a Super-8 camera at age eight, and even at that young age began to model his career on that of his idol, Steven Spielberg. His first film, Praying with Anger, was based somewhat on his own trip back to visit the India of his birth. He raised all the funds for this project, in addition to directing, producing and starring in it. Wide Awake, his second film, he wrote and directed, and shot it in the Philadelphia-area Catholic school he once attended--even though his family was of a different religion, they sent him to that school because of its strict discipline.
Written by: < mwprods@mindspring.com>

And, no one knew Len Weisman before UNDERWORLD.

My friend in Hollywood said Len's family paid a good chuck of the budget to get the first Underworld made. He comes from a very wealthy family. Money talks.

I'm sure there's a story to M. Night if you dig deep enough.

what has his parents being doc's got to be with he selling "sixth sense"? He didn't spend a penny for it. If you read the lead actor and the producer's interview, you'll know the praise they heaped on his script but at the same time they raised doubt over him directing it. None of his two previous Indie films gave him the fan base/recognition.

Back