Best Sound Options For T2i?

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a T2i and some lenses and will be using it for video. I understand the built in mic is awful, so I'm going to buy an external mic.

Here's the problem, I will be controlling the camera and audio at the same time, so I won't be able to operate a separate audio setup. Therefore, I need something that will allow me to operate the camera and audio at the same time.

I heard the Rode videomic pro is good, but is there anything better?

Thanks

You will definitley have to invest in an external audio recorder. The T2i, and pretty much every DSLR has bad Auto Gain Control which can't be turned off, so even with an external microphone, you will have a hissing in the background.

If there is no possibility at all, to record on a different device, get a juicedlink or Beachtek with better preamps and AGC Disable. Will still not give you the quality of an external recorder, but will be heaps better than just putting a mic directly into a camera!

You will definitley have to invest in an external audio recorder. The T2i, and pretty much every DSLR has bad Auto Gain Control which can't be turned off, so even with an external microphone, you will have a hissing in the background.

If there is no possibility at all, to record on a different device, get a juicedlink or Beachtek with better preamps and AGC Disable. Will still not give you the quality of an external recorder, but will be heaps better than just putting a mic directly into a camera!

I have a question, is what you are suggesting, is it possible for one person to operate, while also operating the camera?

I have a question, is what you are suggesting, is it possible for one person to operate, while also operating the camera?

Not really, but then no shotgun mic is.

It's not the external audio recorder that's going to pose the problem it's the fact that it'll be impossible to operate the camera and the boom at the same time unless you're Paul the Octopus.

I recommend getting someone to help out with sound but if you averse to that then radio mics might be your best bet...

You are NEVER going to get great sound working by yourself. If you spend quite a bit of money buying the correct gear and spend quite a bit of time learning how to use it correctly you can get solid sound about 75% of the time. The problem is that you cannot concentrate on the visuals and the sound at the same time; one or the other is going to come up short due to lack of attention.

That's why you should work with a sound person; you expend all of your efforts on capturing quality visuals, s/he expends all of his/her efforts on capturing quality audio - "Sound is half of the experience".

What kind of work will you be doing, and what is your budget?

You are NEVER going to get great sound working by yourself. If you spend quite a bit of money buying the correct gear and spend quite a bit of time learning how to use it correctly you can get solid sound about 75% of the time. The problem is that you cannot concentrate on the visuals and the sound at the same time; one or the other is going to come up short due to lack of attention.

This is all 100% true. Also, it is extremely frustrating trying to do too much. I hate it. It's not fun. And filmmaking should be fun.

AGC can be turned off with Magic Lantern on the T2i. It takes 3 minutes to install and you will be able to get pretty clean sound out of your T2i with an external mic attached to it. This will allow you to operate the camera and sound at the same time. Magic Lantern even has audio levels for you to monitor in real time while recording. Give a shot, it's the only way you can get good audio with one man crew.

AGC can be turned off with Magic Lantern on the T2i. It takes 3 minutes to install and you will be able to get pretty clean sound out of your T2i with an external mic attached to it. This will allow you to operate the camera and sound at the same time. Magic Lantern even has audio levels for you to monitor in real time while recording. Give a shot, it's the only way you can get good audio with one man crew.

Even with AGC turned off, the T2i still records very low-quality audio. This setup will be less crappy than using the external mic, but still kinda crappy. Let's not forget that this is a camera manufactured with photographers in mind, not filmmakers.

That's why you should work with a sound person; you expend all of your efforts on capturing quality visuals, s/he expends all of his/her efforts on capturing quality audio - "Sound is half of the experience".

What kind of work will you be doing, and what is your budget?

I understand what you are saying, but, the problem is that I'm a high school filmmaker so I'm a slash, I do everything. My videos just go on YouTube and thats it. I have little dialogue in my videos, the main reason I need a mic is for other sounds, like footsteps, impacts, etc.

My budget for audio is 350$

I understand what you are saying, but, the problem is that I'm a high school filmmaker so I'm a slash, I do everything. My videos just go on YouTube and thats it. I have little dialogue in my videos, the main reason I need a mic is for other sounds, like footsteps, impacts, etc.

My budget for audio is 350$

Well, unfortunately, with that attitude, your movies will look and sound like they are made by a high-school student who only makes you-tube videos.

When you want to be more professional than that, let us know.

p.s. $350 is not going to get much. Can you save more money than that? Sound is half the experience = spend at least half of your budget on sound. Not 1,000 on camera and 350 on sound...

Well, unfortunately, with that attitude, your movies will look and sound like they are made by a high-school student who only makes you-tube videos.

When you want to be more professional than that, let us know.

p.s. $350 is not going to get much. Can you save more money than that? Sound is half the experience = spend at least half of your budget on sound. Not 1,000 on camera and 350 on sound...

I understand what you're saying. The only reason I am hesitant to get an external audio setup is that I will need to find someone to operate it. For my movies, we usually have at least one actor who isn't in the shot. So if I got some decent audio equipment, would it be possible to teach that actor who isn't in the scene how to operate it? or does it require a lot of time to learn?

If I do save up my money to get better sound gear, what would be the most efficient (cheap but quality) equipment I could get? I mostly film outdoors and don't have that much dialogue. Actually, here's my most recent video and this is what most of my videos are like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OEv-7YrfQ

Thanks for all your help

Hey USN, based on the video I just saw you have a very firm understanding of how sound can influence a picture and what is appropriate to include.

I think you should really look at getting a friend of yours responsible for the sound of your films and really let him go to town on it and make your films that much better. He could capture all of the foley and sounds from the set that he can and then he can go home and work on your films in post production and add foley, cloth, gun foley etc. and really make an outstanding soundtrack for your films.

A film can't be made alone - it takes a lot of teamwork and when you have someone responsible for sound only, it makes the production that much better.

I think it's totally possible to teach your friends how to operate a mic and recorder while you film but don't let them be half-minded about being a boom op - really get their agreement that it's serious and that you guys really want to make a professional film and really blow the other home movies out of the water and get serious about the whole thing and I think you can go places with this. You've got a lot of potential.

Hey USN, based on the video I just saw you have a very firm understanding of how sound can influence a picture and what is appropriate to include.

I think you should really look at getting a friend of yours responsible for the sound of your films and really let him go to town on it and make your films that much better. He could capture all of the foley and sounds from the set that he can and then he can go home and work on your films in post production and add foley, cloth, gun foley etc. and really make an outstanding soundtrack for your films.

A film can't be made alone - it takes a lot of teamwork and when you have someone responsible for sound only, it makes the production that much better.

I think it's totally possible to teach your friends how to operate a mic and recorder while you film but don't let them be half-minded about being a boom op - really get their agreement that it's serious and that you guys really want to make a professional film and really blow the other home movies out of the water and get serious about the whole thing and I think you can go places with this. You've got a lot of potential.

You know what, you're right. My brother is 2 years younger than me, and although I like having him as an actor, I think it would be a better idea to have him do sound and get a friend to replace him as an actor, than to get a friend to do sound.

Because, if my brother does sound, it will be much more efficient because he lives at my house!! :0

25K views is not achieved by many people. You have a great starting point.

Alcove Audio gives the best advice I've found on the net for sound - drop him a line as well.

What kind of computer do you use for your soundtrack? PC or Mac?

Back