Best SDHC transfer rate ?

Im using an class 10 32gb sdhc card and using the usb reader, it takes about 1 hr 45min to transfer the contents to my computer. I tried looking for a card reader that connects to a SATA port but have not found one yet.

What is the fastest way to transfer video on SDHC cards to computer ??

The card is a class 10, it is plugged into the computer direct, no hub, no cable. The computer's MOBO is recent, it is an Intel i5 4Gb ram w/ USB 2.0. OS says the port is 2.0. It is an older USB - SD card reader, the card reader says 2.0. I have a newer USB - SD reader coming in the mail ..

Just wonder what times it is taking for others to transfer 32GB to computer ? and what is fastest method ?

Last edited:
What about an internal reader? It's been a while since I did anything with a PC, but a few years ago you could pick up an IDE multi card reader that fit in a 3.5 floppy bay for $30. Surely there's a sata version now?

I know there's DIY solid state drive kits that essentially turn 8 SD cards into a 2.5 inch SSD. Maybe something like that would work?

The 1:45 time sounds slow, even for USB. Have you tried transferring from the camera plugged into the USB. I have a 32gb Compact Flash card and it's a lot faster than 1:45.

Im using an class 10 32gb sdhc card and using the usb reader, it takes about 1 hr 45min to transfer the contents to my computer. I tried looking for a card reader that connects to a SATA port but have not found one yet.

What is the fastest way to transfer video on SDHC cards to computer ??

USB 2.0 is all that seems to be available. I'll be watching this thread for any updates. Oddly enough, while my HDV footage is capturing on one computer, my hdslr footage is hogging up another trying to read SD through a USB 2.0.

Thank God we got away from tape. :lol:

YUP, it was my reader... I got a new one for get this... .02 and 2.98 shipping from Amazon.

Now Im getting 1gb plus a minute on all USB ports on the computer :)

which reader did you purchase? I just bought a transcend 16 g class 10 card on amazon today, should I buy a reader as well I will be using my iMac and FCP

11Nt2%2BpkX1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the one I got. CLICK HERE

Funny thing is I have a blue one just like it and it does not work at all. I'm learning that card readers can be finicky, so maybe get a couple and use what works best.

Last edited:
do I need a external reader for the transcend card i just bought? sorry if this is a bad question, I literally just got my t2i a week ago and pretty much havent used it because I needed a memory card. I will be uploading to iMac. Thanks

SDXC would be nice, not sure what the difference is between a SDHC and a SDXC other then capacity.

do I need a external reader for the transcend card i just bought? sorry if this is a bad question, I literally just got my t2i a week ago and pretty much havent used it because I needed a memory card. I will be uploading to iMac. Thanks

SDXC would be nice, not sure what the difference is between a SDHC and a SDXC other then capacity.

As I said, if you have one of the newer iMacs then there is a card reader built-in, just under the slot-loading DVD drive. You can simply plug the camera into the computer with the included USB cable, but it may be more convenient to have an external card reader to free your camera up.

As I said, if you have one of the newer iMacs then there is a card reader built-in, just under the slot-loading DVD drive. You can simply plug the camera into the computer with the included USB cable, but it may be more convenient to have an external card reader to free your camera up.

gotcha thanks for the clarification

Back