Best places to network...

Festivals, especially accompanying your official selection. Bring lots of business cards.

48 Hour filmmaking challenges, where often networking is how you join a team (see the threads on member Wheatgrinder's recent experience with a 48 hour challenge). And they facilitate the networking by hosting pre-challenge meetups, matching teams with participants.

Auditions. If you have a project in mind, advertise auditions for not only cast but crew. That's how we did our last short...most of our usual crew were busy the only weekend we were able to make our film, so we auditioned for crew. Met a TON of filmmakers this way, collected a lot of resumes for future reference.

MeetUp.com

In the NY Tri-State area there are quite a few Meet-Up film groups. I've been to almost all of them. Over a dozen were a complete waste of time, five or so are hit'n'miss, three I attend as often as possible. Those three are attended by up-and-coming and working production & post professionals - no actors allowed. (The summer sessions usually aren't very productive from a business point of view, but a lot of fun sharing war stories, bitching and generally having a good time with your peers.) Through those Meet-Ups I connected with NYFEN (New York Film & Entertainment Networking) and ScenePR (which started as a Meet-Up group). I've gotten work from both of these and several of the MU groups. You should also hit benefits and screenings. It takes patience, going often, giving out hundreds of business cards and following up on the cards you receive.

Last edited:
Back