• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best lighting setup for low budget?

I'm trying to get my best setup for lighting, and I was reading on some websites that the best way to go is with home depot work lights and clamps, but I also ready some people say that going used on pro grade equipment is better and pretty close to the same price. What would your ideal setup be for 3-400 or less? Hoping you can help, thank you!

It's more of how you set it up. With a low budget, set up 3 point lighting each and every time with whatever the heck kind of fixtures you can get cheap, using the same type of bulb on all three lamps (or two lamps and one reflector). Do this and with a little tweeking in post you'll be ahead of the vast majority of newbies, including some who bought top dollar fixtures.

Good luck.

*warning . . . hair splitting to follow* :)

Work lights work fine. Use some wax paper over them to diffuse the light a bit.

Home Depot has them a lot cheaper than $300. I got 2 sets of double lights on telescoping stands for $90. Throw in a small floor light for $15 to light your background and Bob's your uncle...

Light is light.. just mind the temp

This might be the hairsplitting GA was talking about :lol:... but i think it's a pretty big hair.

@ OP: There are many different qualities to light and ways to manipulate it. I would recommend you learn lighting to understand how you can evoke different moods with different setups. After that you'll know what type of light, temp, gel, diffusion etc to use/get for whichever scene and feeling you want.

Totally used the little aluminum clip lights for all our early stuff.

The giant Home Depot work lights can be used - but be sure you put them kind of far away. I know in our first feature we had them too close to a girl in a bikini and she looks like she's glowing due to the reflection. :cool:

The Smith Victor KT900 is a nice one, although, I have an SV kit that has 3 of the larger reflector 500w lights and really like having the 3rd in case I need it. You can supplement with another single 500w with a nice tall stand for well within your budget above.

Add some "Router Speed Controllers" form harbor freight tools for ~$20 each and you've got a nice kit that is dimmable within the budget you've mentioned.

The only thing this kit lacks from the pro kits is better control over the light. No barndoors, lights aren't focussable... but they give a much better quality of light than the fluo's (in my opinion - and I ran with CFLs for a long time) and are color balanced to tungsten, so you can run with the in camera preset that is tuned to show off how good the color rendition of each manufacturer's camera can be.

That's where the wax paper helps...

With halogens, wax paper helps raise your budget by burning your set down... it'll work great for fluorescents though. Diffusion gels are not that expensive and are much more resistant to heat. I use http://www.filmtools.com for my gelling needs.

In fact, probably still within the original budget, grab a "Master Location" gel kit from Lee filters from filmtools while you're at it.

The only thing this kit lacks from the pro kits is better control over the light. No barndoors, lights aren't focussable...

^^^^^

This and the speed you can rig them is the main advantage of "pro" lights. A decent grip kit and pro grade lights have been rigged in every possible way you can imagine. There is a tried and true, fairly quick way to rig them for any situation. The good/fast/cheap triangle in full effect as always.

With halogens, wax paper helps raise your budget by burning your set down...
:lol:

I guess I should rephrase. I put the wax paper around the bail on the outer part of the light fixture where it doesn't get nearly as hot. Also, wax paper is meant to be put in an oven, so as long as there's no direct contact with a bulb, it won't burn.

That's awesome, Gonzo! I plan on going to Boulder to see some of the presentations. Do you have a schedule yet for when your film will show?

I'm in the "Underground" block at 10:30 on Friday night, pretty good slot.
I'll be there as well.

I sometimes refer to myself as "The Jerry lewis of the southwest".
I can't get in a festival in my own part of the country for anything, but I have gotten in festivals in Boulder City, Vegas, Phoenix, reno, etc....

Last edited:
Very cool!. If by "Underground" are they referring to an underground style of filmmaking or are they showing the film at the Underground Lounge?

**EDIT** The Underground Lounge is a bar that's right next door to the theater. That's why I ask...

Last edited:
Very cool!. If by "Underground" are they referring to an underground style of filmmaking or are they showing the film at the Underground Lounge?

**EDIT** The Underground Lounge is a bar that's right next door to the theater. That's why I ask...

"Underground" film making, though I only semi agree with that label.
Boulder City is a cool town. I had a film in the same festival last year. Looking forward to eating at The Coffee Cup.

Back