• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best lighting setup for low budget?

I'm trying to get my best setup for lighting, and I was reading on some websites that the best way to go is with home depot work lights and clamps, but I also ready some people say that going used on pro grade equipment is better and pretty close to the same price. What would your ideal setup be for 3-400 or less? Hoping you can help, thank you!

:lol:

I guess I should rephrase. I put the wax paper around the bail on the outer part of the light fixture where it doesn't get nearly as hot. Also, wax paper is meant to be put in an oven, so as long as there's no direct contact with a bulb, it won't burn.

The wax will, even that far away from the bulb... the Halogens emit a butt load of heat -- and you'll generally have them there for hours.

The wax paper is not the same as parchment paper (which is the oven kind)... but even parchment paper will burst into flame if not kept wet by steaming food, as it would be in a cooking situation.

make sure you stay within the maximum wattage guidelines for the fixtures and that they have room above to vent heat and you'll be fine... and/or covered by the manufacturer's insurance ;) If you use them in a way they don't intend (i.e. too large a bulb), then they can point to the label that says not to use that bulb and you're on your own.

IANAL (which has something to do with lawyers)

The wax will, even that far away from the bulb... the Halogens emit a butt load of heat -- and you'll generally have them there for hours.

The wax paper is not the same as parchment paper (which is the oven kind)... but even parchment paper will burst into flame if not kept wet by steaming food, as it would be in a cooking situation.

Hmm. maybe I've just been lucky so far... :hmm:

@Gonzo

Yes, Boulder is a great town. The script I'm in the middle of writing right now is actually set in Boulder. The Cup is a great hangout. So is The Back Stop and the B.C. Brewing Co. All of which are within a block of the theater.

The Underground Lounge was the bar in the basement of the Boulder Dam Hotel. But I just found out, it's no longer in business. Which sucks, because I used to play in there with my band all the time. I actually played one night with The Killers opening for us!

make sure you stay within the maximum wattage guidelines for the fixtures and that they have room above to vent heat and you'll be fine... and/or covered by the manufacturer's insurance ;) If you use them in a way they don't intend (i.e. too large a bulb), then they can point to the label that says not to use that bulb and you're on your own.

IANAL (which has something to do with lawyers)

I'm slightly exceeding the recommended, but not going crazy. My DP used to work at filmtools where I got the china balls and he thinks I'm pretty safe.

good deal, because FIRE BAD! ( and as a producer, it's specifically bad because it slows production and possibly costs more to repair either physical or smoke damage -- we're selfish and probably just a touch sociopathic ).

Back