Best Editing Pc for under $1,000

Ok so I plan to get the new black magic pocket cinema camera at the end of next month and my macbook pro is not going to cut it for video editing( it hardly does now for my .h264 files) So i have exactly 1,000 to spend on a desktop computer to fit my needs, id prefer a computer that is already built but i will build it myself if it would better suit my needs. Can anyone tell me or give me some options on what i will need in order to have a fast editing computer? Thanks for any help as always!

Although I agree with building, I would say if you can find a workstation pc they are super fast and wonderful for video editing. If not a workstation then go for a gaming pc. I currently own a gateway fx6831 and it goes above and beyound for myself and my editors needs.

Best regards
Devim Gibson

my macbook pro is not going to cut it for video editing( it hardly does now for my .h264 files)

H264 is a delivery format, designed to achieve a small file size and maintain quality (at the expense of CPU processing power). That is why there are codecs designed for editing (Prores or DNxHD for example), which use a larger file size but require far less CPU. I'm not saying this is definitely the case but you might find that your macbook pro will "cut it" if you use the right codec for the job. You can of course continue to use the wrong codec but you'll always be costing yourself more CPU and slowing your system.

G

ill check out that gateway and NO MAC i want it to be a WINDOWS PC but again as i stated i need someone to please post a model here or a build here for me as i do not know much about building a computer im not sure what the nessceary components are.

ill check out that gateway and NO MAC i want it to be a WINDOWS PC but again as i stated i need someone to please post a model here or a build here for me as i do not know much about building a computer im not sure what the nessceary components are.

I can give you a simple build, but I need to know are you able to obtain software yourself without it being included in the budget?

Yes I will have the software already the 1000 budget is just for the computer after effects cs6 photoshop cs6 and 3ds max all ready to go when I get the computer I just need a build that will give me fast editing including using compressed dng raw video. Ill have the full 1000 by next week so I'm looking to have all the parts I need ASAP. Thanks btw!

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($207.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1291.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-10 21:23 EST-0500)

The build mentioned above is that everything id need? Nothing else? And is there a cheaper video card I can get or do I need that one? Thanks for any extra help jus trying to get this for less then 1000 if possible! Like I said the biggest files ill be editing are the compressed dng RAW From the black magic pocket camera

So the gateway will be good as long as I upgrade the graphics card? Wha card do you recommend! I plan to do Bit of gaming as well as I will eventually upgrade to i7. I need an answer ASAP because I plan to head up to bestbuy in a couple hours. The gateway cost 600

Back