Best Editing Pc for under $1,000

Ok so I plan to get the new black magic pocket cinema camera at the end of next month and my macbook pro is not going to cut it for video editing( it hardly does now for my .h264 files) So i have exactly 1,000 to spend on a desktop computer to fit my needs, id prefer a computer that is already built but i will build it myself if it would better suit my needs. Can anyone tell me or give me some options on what i will need in order to have a fast editing computer? Thanks for any help as always!

H264 is a delivery format, designed to achieve a small file size and maintain quality (at the expense of CPU processing power). That is why there are codecs designed for editing (Prores or DNxHD for example), which use a larger file size but require far less CPU. I'm not saying this is definitely the case but you might find that your macbook pro will "cut it" if you use the right codec for the job. You can of course continue to use the wrong codec but you'll always be costing yourself more CPU and slowing your system.

G

^ This post should be getting more attention because it brings up a huge point.

Convert your files, and possibly use low-res/quality proxies as necessary, and you'll find that a little computer can go a long way...

Back