benefits to a mini dv camera?

I have never used one but am wondering as a studio not too far from here is considering selling their older Canon prosumer cameras.

I would imagine there are pro's to owning one over the sd card. What do you like about it over the sd card camcorders? Would you rather invest more money in a consumer camcorder or less money on a prosumer mini dv camcorder?

What Canon is it? If it's the XL models, I'd snap that baby up.

I've only ever used miniDV camcorders (soon I will be using different types like 16mm) so cannot comment on the differences between SD card ones and miniDV. But, I would go with prosumer cameras as they usually have more features than consumer ones. I could be wrong on this though.

Pros to tape: cheap, semi-permanent storage medium; depending on camera, may have less compression

Cons to tape: potential for dropout errors, must transfer footage in real time; depending on camera, may have more compression

It depends on the camera. If it's SD, I would run away unless it was being offered at an extremely low price. Even if it's HDV I would prefer a DSLR for narrative work. It might be nice for event work, though.

We really need to know the model, price and condition before any useful information can be given.

Exactly. Also, what are your intentions?

If you're completely new to filmmaking, it's gonna be a while before you even really know what you're doing, so as a learning and practicing camera, I totally support buying used miniDV. But there are many reasons why you might not want one of these cameras, and we need more details before we can offer any meaningful advice.

I cannot friggen remember which Canon Prosumer it is buts NOT hd. It uses tapes. They are about five years old. Problem is that they are like rental cars in that they are 'rented' out on a 24hour basis to anyone who is a member. These members are not professionals but people who are interested in production of some kind. So needless to say they have had their problems over the last few years with people doing things to them.
I am now kind of steering away from that idea even if they are pretty cheap because you get what you get at whatever condition its in.

What I want is a camera that perferably uses sd cards. I just think they are easier and overall cheaper but mostly they are convenient.
A camera that offers manual focus.
One that has external plug ins for mic and headphones.
One that allows for a wide angle lens attachment (this is actually more important)

Believe it or not hd is not on the important list but it is a plus just not anything thats a must.
Is there a camera around a 1000 that fits that? Hard to find one.

I suggest the Canon vixia hf s30

Its about $900 online and it has pretty much everything you're looking for, save manual focus.

The Canon HFG10, is about $1230 online and has manual focus and a couple other things that differentiate from the HFS30.

edit: or you could just do the dslr thing everyone here will mention. I think you could get a t2i and a good lens or two for $1,000 right?

I think the most obvious advantage is that you can use multiple dv's to get footage on a bunch of inexpensive discs. And the data transfer to the Disc is probably fast, where as if you use a cheap sd card a slow transfer rate can kill your frames per second. Fast transfer to your computer and easy cataloged storage of the raw data.

downside.. mini dv's are not reusable. have you buy more. but really, how much are they anyway.

Something worth looking into, I'm curious how these perform.

I think the most obvious advantage is that you can use multiple dv's to get footage on a bunch of inexpensive discs. And the data transfer to the Disc is probably fast, where as if you use a cheap sd card a slow transfer rate can kill your frames per second. Fast transfer to your computer and easy cataloged storage of the raw data.

downside.. mini dv's are not reusable. have you buy more. but really, how much are they anyway.

Something worth looking into, I'm curious how these perform.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. MiniDV is a tape format. Ingesting footage from tape is far slower than from SD cards.

I feel almost sick saying this again and again and again, but...

DSLRs are just the best value sub $1000. No other camera even comes close. (Challenge me if you want! I take all comers)

However, I think the second-best value sub $1000 is the old pro Standard Definition mini DV cameras that everyone is selling off. Ultimately, it's really hard to see the resolution difference, and the image quality is nice. If you can find one for a good price, I say take it.

DSLRs are just the best value sub $1000. No other camera even comes close. (Challenge me if you want! I take all comers)

Super, did you forget to mention the faster computer and newer software that is required to edit HD? Hmm? The $1,000 may end up being $2,000 or $3,000.

I suggest the OP buy the simple and bullet proof Sony VX2100 (SD) and make her damn movie and do the complicated DSLR thing down the road.

I think that might be getting aside the point. There are always other expenses no matter what the setup.

I think a moderate to good computer is a necessary tool anyway. And an external HDD is a good idea.

I think that might be getting aside the point. There are always other expenses no matter what the setup.

I think a moderate to good computer is a necessary tool anyway. And an external HDD is a good idea.

Of course a good computer is necessary, however, the OP may already have one that'll work with many cameras. Her decision making should include whether she wants to get a camera that will require additional expense elsewhere.

When I buy hardware, the first thing I ask myself is if it is compatible with what I have. I've bought additional cameras without have to spend one dime elsewhere - that was a real deal. A "low cost" $1,000 DSLR opens a pandora's box, be prepared to fork up additional bucks if you didn't already pay up front for the necessary other things earlier.

Of course a good computer is necessary, however, the OP may already have one that'll work with many cameras. Her decision making should include whether she wants to get a camera that will require additional expense elsewhere.

When I buy hardware, the first thing I ask myself is if it is compatible with what I have. I've bought additional cameras without have to spend one dime elsewhere - that was a real deal. A "low cost" $1,000 DSLR opens a pandora's box, be prepared to fork up additional bucks if you didn't already pay up front for the necessary other things earlier.

yeah, but cant you just shoot at a lower resolution?

Back