Being at today's school shooting - my account

Hi Everyone,

This isn't related to film at all, thus posting it in the Lounge. But, being a part of this wonderful community for years now, I wanted to share my experience with you all.

Today I was at the unfortunate shooting in Colorado. Afterward, I struggled to express my emotions and my experience, so I did it the only way I know best: to write a story.

I thought I'd share the story with all of you. I hope all of you are well.

Best,

Brett

http://strikemagazine.net/post/69932052681/from-inside-the-walls-of-arapahoe-a-student-account

Thanks everyone - I figured that all of your news sources are probably hammering you with stuff about it, so I thought I'd lend some insight from a first hand account.

Wow... nice to read about what actually matters in these situations rather than some political commentary on gun control.

Thank you everyone! I'm glad you thought the piece was well written. My aim was to to create a more articulated first hand account of the events, instead of the kids that the news channels hammer right as they are leaving. All of those kids just repeat the same generic statements over and over, mostly because they are in shock or don't know how to talk to the news.

This morning I got a phone call from the New York Times. They intend to use this story, and they interviewed me along with it. I'll put that link up when it arrives, and I was happy that somehow, the NYT found this article and deemed it worthy for their publication/website or whatever.

My local news channel also emailed me, too.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and glad that you are okay. Very well written piece, and I'm glad it's bringing attention to your perspective. As you said, so often you hear the same words repeated, that really don't explain exactly what it's actually like to live through something like that.

Very well written and a good first hand account of a senseless tragedy.

Please don't play into the hands of the anti-gunners who never let a good tragedy go to waste.

Very well written and a good first hand account of a senseless tragedy.

Please don't play into the hands of the anti-gunners who never let a good tragedy go to waste.

Believe me, I know. I've been hammered very heavily with gun control comments on my website. Some people even claimed that I took a stance, which, if I did, I'm pretty unaware of the fact. I meant to stay as far from politics as possible while writing it. I even had one idiot say that I gave the police too much credit.

On top of that, Yahoo News took my story and only published the part about Saving Private Ryan, and they started an uproar of war vets all yelling at me, extremely angry. They thought I was actually comparing the situation to the beaches of Normandy, which they found offensive. I think that specific notion is absurd, and I stand by what I wrote, because I compared it to the cinematography of a film, which I'm sure here of all places, you understand.

On the flip side, though, I did an interview with the New York Times, NPR, and a local news station. At first, I was fine with doing them, because I wanted to provide an articulate viewpoint from students, but it got to the point where the news stations were just trying to corner me into saying things that would get them good quotes. So, I've declined the rest.

Back