Beginner Camera Questions

I'm using a Canon Vixia HF S20. I'm still figuring stuff out on how to use it and change the settings.

One thing I'm trying to understand is manual settings for light levels. Right now the camera will adjust for dark but then the picture becomes grainy. I would like to set the camera so that it doesn't adjust for low light. Eventually I'd like to do some low lit scenes. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

you need to know your camera better.

Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority is a major limitation. You need to know what that means. You should have your manual in your pocket right now. Until you know it inside and out. You need to test, test, test, test. Learn the basics.

If you use Aperture Priority, the camera will slow down the shutter speed to allow the exposure to be good..

If you use Shutter Priority, which is likely where your at now, the camera will adjust the aperture as it sees fit to again, make the exposure be good.

In addition, there is "gain" you camera will automatically add "gain" to the video, again, to make the exposure look good.

All of theses settings need to be understood. You will also need to know how to trick the camera into locking the setting. So that it doesn't CHANGE one you in the middle of a shot.

Dont worry, Iv been exactly where you are know, youll get it, it just takes time to understand and internalize.

Found this: Try this ASAP.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/24507/Canon-Vixia-Hf-S20.html?page=74

I would like to know my camera better.

Using this video ->
Shutter-Pri. AE and Aperture-Pri. AE - Canon Vixia HF S20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7hT_EyFVJI

and what another poster was saying I've been able to adjust the settings for a better look. I also understand why good light is important and how to edit footage later to make it look darker.

Something I'm still not sure of is how to change the gain or turn it off. When I have the settings right, the camera does not seem to auto adjust with gain and cause noise. Thank you for the link to the manual, I was looking for that unsuccessfully over the weekend.

in the manual..

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/24507/Canon-Vixia-Hf-S20.html?page=76#manual

"When recording in dark surroundings, the camcorder will automatically increase the gain to try to get a brighter picture. However, using higher gain values may result in more noticeable video noise. You can select the AGC limit to curb the amount of noise by setting the maximum gain value to be used. The smaller the AGC limit, the picture will be darker but will have less the noise."

in the manual..

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/24507/Canon-Vixia-Hf-S20.html?page=76#manual

"When recording in dark surroundings, the camcorder will automatically increase the gain to try to get a brighter picture. However, using higher gain values may result in more noticeable video noise. You can select the AGC limit to curb the amount of noise by setting the maximum gain value to be used. The smaller the AGC limit, the picture will be darker but will have less the noise."

That is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to find that, I don't think I would have figured it out on my own. I was able to change the setting to manual and 0db (the lowest gain setting)

Now, with that setting everything does look very dark. I get the most light with my shutter set to 1/30 and my aperture on F1.8. Lower shutter does let more light in, but is noticeably choppy. Is 1/30 okay or will it still be noticable? What do I lose by having my aperture on F1.8?

Thank you.

You have given two pieces of important data. Aperture and Shutter speed, what is missing is the frame rate, the three values are interrelated to each other.

Sounds like the camera is lowering the frame rate to make up for your settings.
Remember, these cameras are designed to NOT be manual. Its doing everything it can to keep you from shooting a black image, no matter how hard you want to! lol

You have to figure out how to LOCK everything at a suitable setting.
With my cam corder I would setup the camera no AGC, and use shutter priority. That way I could manually set the shutter and frame rate.

I would setup the exposure using a well lit grey card. The grey card gives the camera its exposure reference, and automatically sets the aperture appropriately. I could then engage an AE lock. This would lock the Aperture settings. With the aperture setting locked (f1.8 or what ever) and the Shutter\frame rate set to manual, I had a camera that was ready to shoot. I could then point the camera at a dark scene, and it would do what I wanted, expose dark, with no grain,

On your cam corder you lose little by having the aperture (AKA the Iris) open all the way.. just better sensitivity light. The DOF issue mentioned is not really something to worry about with a tiny senor camera.

Last edited:
You have given two pieces of important data. Aperture and Shutter speed, what is missing is the frame rate, the three values are interrelated to each other.

Sounds like the camera is lowering the frame rate to make up for your settings.
Remember, these cameras are designed to NOT be manual. Its doing everything it can to keep you from shooting a black image, no matter how hard you want to! lol

You have to figure out how to LOCK everything at a suitable setting.
With my cam corder I would setup the camera no AGC, and use shutter priority. That way I could manually set the shutter and frame rate.

I would setup the exposure using a well lit grey card. The grey card gives the camera its exposure reference, and automatically sets the aperture appropriately. I could then engage an AE lock. This would lock the Aperture settings. With the aperture setting locked (f1.8 or what ever) and the Shutter\frame rate set to manual, I had a camera that was ready to shoot. I could then point the camera at a dark scene, and it would do what I wanted, expose dark, with no grain,

On your cam corder you lose little by having the aperture (AKA the Iris) open all the way.. just better sensitivity light. The DOF issue mentioned is not really something to worry about with a tiny senor camera.

Thanks.

Back