Before I was into filmmaking...

Are there things that took place or gear you got rid of before you were into film/video making that now kind of burn you up?

For me there are 2 things:

1. In the past you could buy and drop off S8 or 16mm at corner drugs stores!

2. Used to be one could literally walk down an alley and find film projectors, but now
people want $$$ for what appears a cross between Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and
something Thomas Edison threw away!

This is aggravating.

-Thanks-

I bought a bunch of nice 16mm Elmo and B&H projectors at one time for $5 each. Schools were selling them as they went digital, and they had buildings where they sold the old stuff. Call the school boards and ask. That, and military bases. I forget what it's called, but they also have a division that handles this, and you can visit a base and buy the old stuff. You can get 16mm cameras sometimes.

$5 each!!? Go ahead, twist the knife! :)

I haven't really explored school options yet, but the 16mm in my
avatar came from Edwards Airforce base.

-Thanks-

I bought a 16mm projector a few years back, I got it on ebay but it's stamped from some Jr High. I think I only paid 50-60 bucks for it(which was cheaper than having the movie I wanted to watch converted to tape) which I thought was fair. But maybe going in person will get you better deals :)

Dready,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Since posting I’m happy to say that I picked up a little s8 projector for $15 about a mile from home. :)

In keeping with my main topic of “Before I was into film making” you being from or in Chicago affords me the opportunity to express something at very heart of what my topic means to me, or why it was chosen.

We used to have so many great companies located here in (and around) Chicago, several that were geared towards creativity.

These companies helped launch countless ships of creative dreams, and also captured a great many of the world’s worst nightmares.

Bell and Howell for example is one such company.

The tapestry of condensed cool companies like Ludwig, Slingerland, Bell and Howell, Shrue, Quick-Set, (and who knows what else) really steeped the spirit of Chicago in a super charged creative conviction.

Nowadays people are like “You mean the film you put on windows in the winter?”

It’s just plain sad.

-Thanks-

Before I was into filmmaking I was only about nine so I can't remember that much. Aprt from I wanted to be an explorer!!! And digital video quality was crap

Back