Beatles Mono Box Set

Anyone own this set?

I just picked up a copy at a flea market for $50. But, I'm not sure if I bought a bootleg.

If you have a copy, does it say "Made in Japan" on each of the CD labels?

Do the album covers look like really excellent copies or do they look stamped?

Everything plays great, but this was cheap. This set used to go for over $200.

The mixes are different between the mono and stereo sets. I listened to the Beatles when I was a kid. So, many of the versions I know are from the mono versions.

Also, I own many of the stereo CDs, and tonight I put on Help, and the difference is incredible. It's literally two different versions of the same song.

Plus, the mono set was $50 while the stereo was $125. The mono should have been more expensive.

Why would you want to listen to it in Mono? I find "Revolution 9" much more brain melting in stereo.
Because most of the records were recorded, mixed and mastered
in mono. The exception being Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and
Let It Be. The record company did stereo mixes against the Beatles
wishes.

Harrison said, "When they invented stereo, I remember thinking
'Why? What do you want two speakers for?', because it ruined
the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything
coming out of one speaker; now it had to come out of two speakers.
It sounded like... very... naked."

Why would you want to listen to it in Mono? I find "Revolution 9" much more brain melting in stereo.

Because the Beatles themselves only ever supervised the Mono mixes and for almost all of the stereo mixes, none of the four were ever even present.

Paul McCartney's famous quote is
You haven't heard the Beatles until you've heard them in Mono

And as for

Also, I own many of the stereo CDs, and tonight I put on Help, and the difference is incredible. It's literally two different versions of the same song.

Indeed, even entirely different performances of several tracks. So for the "completists", the mono version contain a lot of different recordings and a different sound/feel.

Last edited:
Because most of the records were recorded, mixed and mastered
in mono. The exception being Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and
Let It Be. The record company did stereo mixes against the Beatles
wishes.

Harrison said, "When they invented stereo, I remember thinking
'Why? What do you want two speakers for?', because it ruined
the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything
coming out of one speaker; now it had to come out of two speakers.
It sounded like... very... naked."

Let it Be in STEREO. That's the funniest thing, because Phil Spector produced it. The Mono Wall of Sound guy doing such stereo. Though Phil's Ramones album is by far their best production.

You guys are going to have to come to Liverpool, go the Cavern Club, and the tour. Bob Dylan was sat at the back of the "Magical Mystery Tour" bus, with his band, last year before he gigged. Crazy story number#1.

Tarantino got wasted and hitched a ride from a rubbish truck after a day of promoting.

Liverpool is fun.

You guys are going to have to come to Liverpool, go the Cavern Club, and the tour. Bob Dylan was sat at the back of the "Magical Mystery Tour" bus, with his band, last year before he gigged. Crazy story number#1.

Tarantino got wasted and hitched a ride from a rubbish truck after a day of promoting.

Liverpool is fun.

That does sound like fun.

Back