announcement Basic Members Can Post

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
Hey guys,

IndieTalk has made a change in the structure of memberships. Nothing has changed for Premiere levels or features, but now Basic members can post for free. Basic members are limited to the IndieTalk Discussion forums and Classified Ads.

The Screening Room, Composers Corner and the hidden Premiere Members forums are still only for Premiere Members.

If Basic members want to post a film, they have to post it in Websites in the Classified Ads (or in the sub-forum of Websites if posting a link to YouTube, etc.), and these films will not be highlighted on the homepage.

Welcome back Basic members.

To view the list of features, go here: http://www.indietalk.com/index.php?page=memberships

This is better for everyone, there will be more activity and interaction.

sorta good, but the site still sucks.

I dont get the whole concept of paying to post

Probably not a good way to make any friends. Besides, you couldn't be more wrong as this board is extremely helpful and many knowledgeable people post here every day.

If you don't like it, don't come back.

This site is amazing. Everyone is so helpful and mature. We all share the same passion which is definently a bonus. Go make your own site if you aren't satisfied.

Without a doubt, this is the single most helpful resource for filmmakers that I've found. The members here are helpful and friendly and want nothing more than success for you.

I... oh wait, my Premiere membership expired? Oh hold on, let me fix that... [insert crashing/breaking sounds here]

I'm glad this has been introduced. Forcing people to pay to post in even the most basic of forums killed this site and stopped me coming here.

Hopefully it's now back on track.

I'm not indietalk, but I know the decision to switch posting from free to paid was made for a couple of reasons:

1) There is a certain level of maturity and courtesy on these forums. That is part of what makes it so great. When you don't require people to have to make a sacrifice in order to participate, they in turn take it for granted and abuse the system. Towards the end of the free posting privileges, it tended to get very chippy and immature in conversation, not to mention a lot of blatant spamming and advertising in discussion and quite frankly, enough was enough. I'm SURE all of us have been on practically every other message board out there that has people post their hard work for critique or their opinions and all they get back is "That SUX0RS!" To be honest, we're here to moderate and participate, not babysit immature privilege abusers.

Now that its had a chance to cool off, lets see how it does. It seems to be much better at the moment hopefully we can keep it that way.

2) Until you run an online community yourself, you have no idea the amount of time and money it takes to do so. Trust me, you'd be better off selling pencils than starting one if you wanted a job. So there's two ways to pay the bills: membership and advertising. It takes both to pay the bills.

I'm not indietalk, but I know the decision to switch posting from free to paid was made for a couple of reasons:

1) There is a certain level of maturity and courtesy on these forums. That is part of what makes it so great. When you don't require people to have to make a sacrifice in order to participate, they in turn take it for granted and abuse the system. Towards the end of the free posting privileges, it tended to get very chippy and immature in conversation, not to mention a lot of blatant spamming and advertising in discussion and quite frankly, enough was enough. I'm SURE all of us have been on practically every other message board out there that has people post their hard work for critique or their opinions and all they get back is "That SUX0RS!" To be honest, we're here to moderate and participate, not babysit immature privilege abusers.

Now that its had a chance to cool off, lets see how it does. It seems to be much better at the moment hopefully we can keep it that way.

2) Until you run an online community yourself, you have no idea the amount of time and money it takes to do so. Trust me, you'd be better off selling pencils than starting one if you wanted a job. So there's two ways to pay the bills: membership and advertising. It takes both to pay the bills.

I do run an enormous forum community :P: I don't handle the financial side but I do understand where it's all from.

The flipside is that yes, babysitting the peons is difficult when noone is paying. But let's face it, this forum, as awesome as it's members are and were, was dying without basic members. Maybe it's just me personally, but I think a forum should have enough varied discussion and new threads to keep me coming back daily, not just week to week.

I wholeheartedly back the idea of paid forums and basic forums, but I am in the camp of hooking people in with free forums so that they want to pay for the benefits of premiere membership, not just force everyone to pay without having a chance to give the forums a try first. Free trials, maybe. I still don't think the casual internet users are ready to pay for services such as messageboards.

Don't get me wrong though, love the site. I just see this as only beneficial.

Back