Basic Grip Stud question

Hi all,
Recently in my foraging for equipment at the local Goodwill superstore I brought home a "baby" light stand on wheels, old antique looking with a green "orange peal" finish. Sweet as heck! It has one telescoping section but has NO end stud, just a 3/4" OD pipe that looks like something is supposed to slip over the end.. i see lots of grip equipment on the net, but I'm not sure what exactly I should get. I want to use to support my 4" Fresnel.

What do I need?

ah its ok.. I figure that its a strange question. Now that I have ONE real light stand, I see whats missing. I think there should be an entire additional extension, then a standard looking bit on top.

Can you post a picture of it?

It kinda sounds like one of your risers is missing and replaced with some sort of pipe on the end? Is it solid or is there an ID that you can slip something into?

Usually a baby stand will have 2-3 riser sections and the last section will end in a 5/8" pin. Hypothetically your Fresnel is setup to receive that pin.

This is what the top would look like on a stand with all it's pieces.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/99165.jpg

Have you checked with sites like Matthews and filmtools.com for spare parts?

yah but what keeps it from being pulled out again? usually they stop when there fully extended. probably isnt too difficult once you have all the pieces. but i once found a broken one on the truck and there are more parts inside of each riser than you would expect.

yah but what keeps it from being pulled out again? usually they stop when there fully extended. probably isnt too difficult once you have all the pieces. but i once found a broken one on the truck and there are more parts inside of each riser than you would expect.

Hmm. Not really sure. Can you tell who made it? Any names stamped on the knuckles or joints?

It might be something that you can rig as a gimp stand, just get the pin mounted in the risers you have maybe?

Back