Background - bedsheets?

I see on an online store that backgrounds can run from $100 for solid black or white to start. I wondered if using a white or black bed sheet pinned tight via thumb tacks on sheetrock in basement would have the same effect?
Is there any reason why I would spend money on a background if sheets seem like they can do it? What are the con's to this as opposed to purchasing these backgrounds? Before I go through the trouble of pinning sheets up to a wall.

Thanks all!

That method works almost as well.

Fabric tends to ripple even when pinned tight - something paper
doesn't do. Some fabrics have a more reflective quality than paper
so that can become an issue, too.

Try sheets. It really won't be that much trouble. And you'll gain
some excellent experience and knowledge. If it does what you need
then you have found a solution - if it doesn't work the way you
need then you'll see why people buy background paper.

For me the cost balances the time saved. I tried both - you should
too.

Buy the sheets. Consider cheap bed spreads to give the background some texture. Not blankets, bed spreads, the ones that are alittle thin and for show more than warmth.

The background doesn't have to be anything. It just has to to look like something. Because what are you placing your emphasis on? Your subject or your back drop? The back drop has to look good, it doesn't have to be expensive.

-- spinner :cool:

True, I've used cheap sheets as well, espescially for green screen work, only I learned how important lighting is the hard way....I still don't have that down just right. Wrinkles will cause shadows that are difficult to key out, but, otherwise, a few wrinkles might actually add an artistic studio touch if done right, I've seen it, just haven't done it. Like Spinner said, the important thing is that it lookd good.

Thanks!

I was also thinking 'Martha Stewart' while driving in the car today. In K-Mart there is a cheap M.S. brand clothes rolling rack for under $30. I was thinking of draping a sheet over it rather than the tack to the wall idea.
As for lighting, someone suggested on another post going to a homedepot of sorts for hallogen lamps on stands.

Yes, I took that advice also and it has worked great. The lights are $16. I just have to get a few more with lower wattage as well. I've also built my own rolling track for my tri-pod using the DIY suggestions on this forum using PVC pipe, skateboard wheels, and cheap 6' pieces of wood from Home Depot. Works like a charm, the contraption doesn't look professional, but the video does, and that's all that matters to me.

You can make anything really with PVC cheaply. A 8x8 frame is just 4-8' sections of 1-1/2" PVC connected by 90 degree turns. You can clamp fabric to that or sew the edges to be able to slide the PVC through the tubes formed. This will allow you to stretch it tighter when you connect the corners.

some T connectors and 45 degree bends put in the center of opposite sides would let you connect more PVC to make a picture frame-like stand for the back to make it free standing... or T's at the bottom corners can make stand feet.

This can hold a green screen, blue screen, loose weave black scrim for dimming the background... or a large white piece for diffusing lights. I even recently found some fiberglass fabric like you'd find on the bottom of a box-spring matress for $1/yard 120" across... so 10'x12' white diffuser that you can hold above your talent to make a freakin' huge sun diffuser

A cube frame like this would make a diffusion tent that you can shoot through. White top and one side, silver or black on the opposite side, front and back open to shoot through. They do this on high end model shoots, except that the tents and fabrics they user are expensive as all get out.

I see on an online store that backgrounds can run from $100 for solid black or white to start. I wondered if using a white or black bed sheet pinned tight via thumb tacks on sheetrock in basement would have the same effect?
Is there any reason why I would spend money on a background if sheets seem like they can do it? What are the con's to this as opposed to purchasing these backgrounds? Before I go through the trouble of pinning sheets up to a wall.

Thanks all!
What are you trying to do exactly?

Back