• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"B-Roll" log line.

First step on the scary path of my first feature..

Played around with few ideas, and here is what I've got :

Movie title: "B-Roll"
Gengre: Action/Crime
Logline: An aspiring reporter is mistaken for a murderer and must find the missing crime footage to prove his innocence.

What do you think? Sounds interesting?

I think it's a good start. But it needs something more, another twist. Not necessarily a plot twist, but perhaps a setup twist. Something like.. the footage doesn't actually exist and he must go back in time and record the proof himself. Or maybe he's blind so how is he going to know if he has the right footage?

Maybe we can find the other twist is we start asking questions. Why is he a reporter? Why not an average guy with an office job? What kind of reporter is he? Does he specialize in whistle-blowing stories? Did he accidentally blow the whistle on the wrong person so they are now framing him? Did someone go to jail as the result of his reporting and now that person's brother has gotten a face-changing surgery so he can go around committing crimes as the reporter?

Just a few thoughts...

The title is pretty jargony, but I'm betting to catch audience's attention with something uknown to them, like "Cloverfield, Super 8, Unknown, Primer etc".
But early in the 1st act I plan to explain, through the story of course, what "B-Roll" is. It might work, it might not. I ll see of my vomit draft.

You re right, it needs some kind of setup twist. I ll work on that!

Back to writing!

Last edited:
Allright, how about this:

A timid intern for a small tv new station is mistaken for a murderous criminal and must retrieve a stolen crime footage to proof his innocence.

Last edited:
Sorta like "Blow Out" but not really..

I think "B-Roll" is a good title. It does exactly what your saying, in my brain anyway..

It not his innocence or guilt we care about.. not enough on the line.. his very life is at stake.. or something even worse..

Yeah, I like "B-Roll" in that "Super 8" sense. Just got to be sure to establish in the trailer/early in the movie what B-Roll actually is for those audience members slower on the uptake.

its nothing like Blow Out.. the lead was never implicated in the act.... I presume our Innocent is accused of being the bad guy, or at least the investigation is closing in on him.. and he figure it out..

You could have the "proving of his innocence" be for something funny \ cute, like cheating on his girlfriend, in retrieving the proof that he WAS NOT cheating on his girl from the archives, he grabs the wrong tape, sits down with his girl to "show her" that he was NOT cheating, of course the tape shows something really bad, like in the background we see a certain HIGH PROFILE person picking up a hooker.. who was reported MURDERED earlier that night.. funny \ tense scene there..

AGHH g******** %****&%$&!!!

Damn you "Blow Out"!!! Lol

Just another proof - nothing is orinigal is this world anymore.. NOTHING!

Uuuuuuuughhhh

Mostly true. There are a few original ideas out there, just none in Hollywood.
I like the title. I just think the premise is uninteresting, like it's been done a bunch of times before.

Maybe throw a curveball into it. Protag starts out trying to prove his innocence, or save the life of a bus full of children...how are THEM for stakes, wheat? ;) He discovers what he accidentally filmed is part of something larger. He then has to hunt down other discarded footage in order to put the pieces together to find a lost treasure (or gold bars from a train heist, secret to the universe or bus full of children) before the person (mob, secret society, etc) who was trying to frame/kill him does.

Or, more simply put, start out with a "prove your innocence" story and transition into a "race to the prize" story.

I dig the title, and there's lots of ways you can go with it!

OOh how about

A timid newsstation intern is mistaken for a cold blooded murderer and must retreive a stolen homicide footage to avoid death penalty.

That right there is pretty awesome, imho.

Death Penalty .. !! yawn.. Criminal justice is too slow.. Having evidence doesn't keep you from getting arrested, etc..

Have him be targeted by someone who is OUTSIDE the law.. like a gang, or terrorists, covert ops team, etc. They have already passed judgment and have given him 24 hours to PROVE hes not the killer.

Back