• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

auto focus noise on dslr

The auto focus on my dslr can be heard when i record video... Any and all solutions to this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

It's a "known issue" if you use the camera's mic, and nothing more or less than the microphone doing what it is designed to do: record sound!

Certain lens-focusing motors are quieter than others (the Canon STM range supposedly falls into this category) but the "correct" solution is to use an external mic (which is good practice for all manner of other reasons too).

Follow up advice: if your DSLR doesn't have an input for an external mic, it's still worth using the in-camera mic to help synch whatever you record on an off-camera device. In fact, even if you can plug in a shotgun mic or similar, for anything other than vlogging, you'll usually get better results by recording your audio on a dedicated device (again, using the in-camera mic for synch). The sound guys can advise you better on exactly what combination of mics and recorders will suit if you tell us what kind of footage you're shooting.

different lenses produce varying amounts of noise. cheaper ones are generally noisier. none are 100% silent if you could hear a pin drop.

Last edited:
Follow up advice: if your DSLR doesn't have an input for an external mic, it's still worth using the in-camera mic to help synch whatever you record on an off-camera device. In fact, even if you can plug in a shotgun mic or similar, for anything other than vlogging, you'll usually get better results by recording your audio on a dedicated device (again, using the in-camera mic for synch). The sound guys can advise you better on exactly what combination of mics and recorders will suit if you tell us what kind of footage you're shooting.

Thanks for your advice... i googled around abit and have found the same sort of solutions... so ive ordered a STM lens and i have got an external mic that fits the camera. my cameras a canon 250d, it's the only camera ive got, i use it for all general filming...im very new to all this...
me and my family are making sweded films at the moment, we do our next one in a month.. in the meantime im just starting to make youtube type videos... just on my own...
i guess i need to experiment around abit with placing the external mic... sometimes we're all on camera together and the cameras filming on a tripod. so i'm thinking of placing the external mic somewhere where it can record us nicely away from the lens noise.
and when someone's holding the camera and moving around, i'll attach the mic to the camera using a cold shoe extension bar that keeps it away from the lens... hopefully that combined with a STM lens should do the trick... otherwise we'll use a boom pole...

I forgot that there's another (even cheaper!) technique for avoiding auto-focus noise: turn off autofocus! Obviously this does depend on having someone who knows how to focus manually, and is available to do it while shooting (if you're tracking a moving target), but a lot of auto-focusing is just down to bad set-up, e.g. someone waves an arm across the camera's field of view, so the camera pointlessly tries to refocus on the new target.

I don't know if synching externally recorded audio in post-production is within the "rules" for sweded films, but it's actually gives you much more flexibility in who and what you record. Single or multiple mics can be hidden in various places on the set, close to the actors, to give you the clearest possible audio without needing a boom operator ... but what you save on the boom, you lose on the mixing later! :scared:

Last edited:
I forgot that there's another (even cheaper!) technique for avoiding auto-focus noise: turn off autofocus!
Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

I forgot that there's another (even cheaper!) technique for avoiding auto-focus noise: turn off autofocus! Obviously this does depend on having someone who knows how to focus manually, and is available to do it while shooting (if you're tracking a moving target), but a lot of auto-focusing is just down to bad set-up, e.g. someone waves an arm across the camera's field of view, so the camera pointlessly tries to refocus on the new target.

I don't know if synching externally recorded audio in post-production is within the "rules" for sweded films, but it's actually gives you much more flexibility in who and what you record. Single or multiple mics can be hidden in various places on the set, close to the actors, to give you the clearest possible audio without needing a boom operator ... but what you save on the boom, you lose on the mixing later! :scared:
My STM lens is arriving tomorrow! i'm childishly excited... and the cold shoe extender arrived today, i tried it and it diminishes the noise considerably, hopefully combined with the STM lens i'll be sorted... i dont know how to do manual exposure... but this is probably the time learn :) Thanks for the help...

Back