• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

music Audio/Video Files

Let's say I respond to a call for music, send a song link via my website, and my work is chosen for an independent film. Will the music team tell me in what form they want the file or is there a current standard for deliverables? Thank you.

Solution
The standard format for audio for video/film is 24-bit, 48kHz Broadcast Wave File (BWF), or Wave file (.wav). However, you should be having conversations with the post team, specifically the post sound supervisor, about delivery specs.

Most things these days are digital file transfer, often with some flavor of FTP. I use DropBox to send audio to clients unless otherwise requested. Again, the specifics are a conversation to have with post regarding their preferred delivery method.
sfoster, is everyone requesting that the files be sent digitally or is anyone requesting SD cards, flash drives or even CDs? Just to give everyone an idea why I always seem so confused, I began recording on cassette tapes.

The standard format for audio for video/film is 24-bit, 48kHz Broadcast Wave File (BWF), or Wave file (.wav). However, you should be having conversations with the post team, specifically the post sound supervisor, about delivery specs.

Most things these days are digital file transfer, often with some flavor of FTP. I use DropBox to send audio to clients unless otherwise requested. Again, the specifics are a conversation to have with post regarding their preferred delivery method.

Last edited:
Solution

AcousticAI, thank you. FTP is a new term for me, so I will look at that and post additional questions.

i just use google drive, you get like 15gb of free storage space... way more than enough for sound files.

Last edited:
@AcousticAl is correct in, the requester will state the file specs as well as the preferred delivery method. If that delivery method is not familiar to you you can suggest another, but you should never (in most cases) suggest a different file type.

AcousticAI, thank you. FTP is a new term for me, so I will look at that and post additional questions.
File Transfer Protocol.

In the beforefore times of moving larger files over teh Interwebz, most web server hosts had FTP clients that you could log into, create directories, and upload your data.

Nowadays, we have all sorts of cloud storage options like DropBox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc.

And unless a client specifically requires it, do not use Microsoft OneDrive. It is terrible. Maybe fine for Word docs and spreadsheets, but it is awful for media. Had a client send me several GB of footage to edit, and every time I downloaded the folder from his OneDrive I ended up with a ghost folder and media that couldn’t be read. Zipped, not zipped, it didn’t matter. Checked with some other post facilities and the universal response was, “Yep.”

File Transfer Protocol.

In the beforefore times of moving larger files over teh Interwebz, most web server hosts had FTP clients that you could log into, create directories, and upload your data.

Nowadays, we have all sorts of cloud storage options like DropBox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc.

And unless a client specifically requires it, do not use Microsoft OneDrive. It is terrible. Maybe fine for Word docs and spreadsheets, but it is awful for media. Had a client send me several GB of footage to edit, and every time I downloaded the folder from his OneDrive I ended up with a ghost folder and media that couldn’t be read. Zipped, not zipped, it didn’t matter. Checked with some other post facilities and the universal response was, “Yep.”
Currently, I try to avoid Microsoft and Google whenever possible, because they are now such large companies. How can you do everything well when you have so many products and departments and employees and features and staff turnover and . . . Office 365 Teams can be a mess at times. Too much is too much.

Back