• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch At Confession - Suspense

I thought this was very well shot. The editing went from okay to freakin' amazing-kick-ass-awesome. This was obviously well thought out.

The run time seemed a bit longish, but not anything unrelenting or painful.

The performance of the lead actor is a weakness. His age and ability do deliver is moderate, but not up to the task of this particular piece. He wouldhave been much better in something less challenging and emotive.

Camera work and the "look" aesthetics are very good. Nice work with a clean and good transfer to the web.

Overall a great piece.

- Ross
www.sonnyboo.com

Very good job. I was particualarly impressed with the lighting and camera work throughout the film.

Very, Very good job.

On a different note, if anyone feels the need to post low scores (like the 4) for any film on this forum, please have the decency to explain your dislike of the movie.

Poke

An absolutely wonderful job in my (granted, lowly) opinion. As Poke says - I was very much impressed with the lighting and the color balance. Very nice job! Hopefully I'll have time to check out some of these other movies/trailers as well!

please have the decency to explain your dislike of the movie.

Agreed! I haven't posted anything on this forum yet but I have been dealt with online rating (in particular with linguistic material) and can easily understand the frustration for a lack of explanation. We are all here to help each other out (and anonymous bashing doesn't help) - something I have found to be remarkably strong here. Much credit goes out to the forum members. Sorry, I sort of ranted there a bit...

Hey!

I loved the camera work, buitiful lighting within the church and the confession booth - those ulcers worked fantastic on the face!
that location looked familiar!! There was a short film with a church building like it on here...

The twist at the end... interesting... but not a lot led up to it...

Wasn't too keen on the dialogue and didn't really beleive in the main character too much - didn't really feel his pain.

Do agree with low posts with no explanations - have had it hit me round the face a coulpe of times... some-one posted 5 and then ran on the darkroad trailer thing - come on!!! fight your argument like a man!!!!!

Shot Renegade said:
The twist at the end... interesting... but not a lot led up to it...

I'd disagree with you on that one. I thought it was too obvious from the moment he went straight to the church after his encounter with the wife.

Poke

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming. As for the anonymous "4" rating it would be nice to hear why you gave it that rating. Of course, you're entitled to stay anonymous, but I always think it's iimportant to hear people's opinions whether positive or negative as I think it'll help us with our next production. Below is some behind the scenes info on the film. Thanks for watching. :D

Shot in Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, Virginia. Equipment Used: Canon XL1s, 16x manual lens, Arri Fresnel Lights, Sennheisser ME66 Mic. Shot in 16:9, frame mode, Edited on Premiere/Canopus DVStorm, color correction in After Effects. Some other notes on the production...We spent several weeks building the booth. We couldn't find anything on the web about how to build one so we just decided to wing it. We took two pieces of paneling that we bought from Home Depot stained them, and then connected the two with an L-bracket and some screws. We knew we needed a moveable wall to accomodate both the priest and the confessor's angles so we made one using a piece of fiberglass insulation board covered in black cloth. The confessional screen was harder to come by. We looked at radiator screen covers and realized it would be hard to shoot through them. We then made a screen from vinyl gutter guard, but it looked horrible. After some brainstorming we bought a barbeque grill and spray painted it matte black. It worked nicely. We then cut a hole in the the moveable foam insulation wall and lined the "screen" with some stained trim, and voila, a confessional was born! We spent several days working on the lighting set-up but I think we got a good look. The confession booth stood in the center of our living room for about 3 weeks before shooting began. After awhile we didn't even notice it and accepted it as a minor encumbrance on our mobility.

stevefranco said:
The confession booth stood in the center of our living room for about 3 weeks before shooting began. After awhile we didn't even notice it and accepted it as a minor encumbrance on our mobility.

Ah, the life of an indie filmmaker. Great work on the booth, I thought it was actually shot in a real booth. I would have never guessed that was actually a BBQ grill.

Poke

Fantastic work with the booth! Brilliant illusion... yep... you fooled me - I was drawn into the reality of it!!!

I've got to build a life size replica of a british red phone box for my next short film! I hope I can do as good a job as you did!!!

All very radical!

stevefranco said:
Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming. As for the anonymous "4" rating it would be nice to hear why you gave it that rating. Of course, you're entitled to stay anonymous

Welcome to the Internet...

bad ratings are a fact of life, even on great movies. Not everyone's opinion is vocalized.

Good point Sonnyboo. There's always the anonymity of the internet to consider when posting your work. Sometimes though, curiosity gets the better of me and I want to know why someone thought something was bad. It can only help me improve.

Thanks guys for the feedback on the booth. Good luck with the telephone booth. When you pull it off, please post how you did it.

I think the four rating was someone who was slamming it for fun (i.e. some brat who has nothing better to do with his/her time than to come on here at screw things up). I can't imagine anyone interested in film coming on here and giving this work a "4".

Poke

pokewowplayer1 said:
I think the four rating was someone who was slamming it for fun (i.e. some brat who has nothing better to do with his/her time than to come on here at screw things up). I can't imagine anyone interested in film coming on here and giving this work a "4".

Poke

ditto. I gave it an 8!

Very nice. I gave it an 8 too - I had only minor production issues, but everything about this short is good. Interesting twist :)

I liked how you set up the twist in the end. The story seemed straight forward until the end (I don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it). But there was one small technique you did that sold the ending for me.

CommanderGoat said:
I liked how you set up the twist in the end. The story seemed straight forward until the end (I don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it). But there was one small technique you did that sold the ending for me.

Let's assume that people watch the movie before reading the comments (that's the way it should work), was it the fact that you don't see what happens in the confrontation with the wife?

Poke

pokewowplayer1 said:
Let's assume that people watch the movie before reading the comments (that's the way it should work), was it the fact that you don't see what happens in the confrontation with the wife?

There was a flash frame and low "boom" in the score that kinda made me think of a gun shot, even though you don't see it. That part was well done. It's one of those moments where A+B= C in your head (Sergei Eisenstein-ish in a way). Your first instinct is to think "oh, he shot her," but you don't see it, yet you come away with that likely possibility.

Back