Aspiring film editor looking for suggestions.

Hey everyone!

I'm a film editor student but as of right now, I currently don't really have the best equipment.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a "How long is a piece of string?" question. At the very least we need a rough budget. As an audio post guy I could easily recommend about $50k worth of gear for audio post alone, however, if you are on a shoestring budget but still want to do "real" audio post I could manage to get it down to about $3,000 - $5,000, but for basic audio editing around $1,000 if you already have a computer. I'm sure that editors could also give wildly varying answers as well. What gear do you already have Including computer, software and the like?

As a "film editor student" why do you even need a camera? Figure out you priorities. What to you want to accomplish? What will be the focus (pardon the pun) of your career? Shooting? Visual post? Audio post? A "niche" in one of those crafts?

BTW, when I was "starting out" in audio post almost 20 years ago I invested about $5,000 just to upgrade my existing music recording equipment, software, etc.

Back