Are we Artists or Techno Nerd / Computer Geeks ?

Put me down in the "bit of both" camp. I like thinking about tech stuff. I like building computer systems and learning about some of the more esoteric parameters of my gear. I like cracking my equipment open, identifying the parts and seeing what can be repaired/replaced if needed. I change pickups in my guitars and I never install any software without tweaking it afterwards.

It IS a different mindset than the "creating art" mindset, but I find geekery to be a good diversion when you need a mental break, but need to stay on task, if that makes any sense. As DIY people, we need to be as techie as we are artistic...or maybe we become DIY people because we are that way. Chickens, eggs, etc.

All that said, getting a hold of your strengths, weaknesses and what you like to do is always a good thing!

You can't teach human behavior, vulnerability, or interaction. The Stanislavsky, Chekhov, Strassberg methods do nothing for me. And, certainly are proven ineffective for most. We wrapped a film two months ago where my character was an emmaciated novelist. The relatively large cast were doing these obscure stretches, vocal exercises, recalling past memories (incredibly limiting and dangerous), and thinking out every little detail of how the lines were going to be said. Who the character is, is most important. Look the other actor in the eyes, allowing vulnerability, listen and respond. Just feel it. When you overthink art, you destroy it.

Feutus

I want to say thank you for your opinions. Sorry if I sounded coarse, I love a good debate is all. No intentions from me on making anything a personal attack.
Dont wory, I understand. Jou love makking movies. Thats one of the most importend parts of good movie making....I love it, that you are on fire about it.

You can't teach human behavior, vulnerability, or interaction. The Stanislavsky, Chekhov, Strassberg methods do nothing for me. And, certainly are proven ineffective for most. We wrapped a film two months ago where my character was an emmaciated novelist. The relatively large cast were doing these obscure stretches, vocal exercises, recalling past memories (incredibly limiting and dangerous), and thinking out every little detail of how the lines were going to be said. Who the character is, is most important. Look the other actor in the eyes, allowing vulnerability, listen and respond. Just feel it. When you overthink art, you destroy it.

" Look the other actor in the eyes, allowing vulnerability, listen and respond." is a technique, just happens that the technique is second nature to you, and feels natural.

Back